Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Champion Calls It Quits.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:17 pm
Post subject: A Champion Calls It Quits.Reply with quote

AFL.Com.au 31/10/02;

End of the road, end of an era
12:33:32 PM Thu 31 October, 2002
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au

Carlton champion Craig Bradley has announced his retirement from AFL football.

The 39-year old, who was the oldest player in the game, departs after a highly decorated career that spanned 17 years at VFL/AFL level and 21 years at senior level.

Bradley leaves the game having played 375 VFL/AFL matches – the fourth most in the competition’s history – while he has registered more than 500 senior games since his debut in 1981 with Port Adelaide in the SANFL.

Along with 375 games, Bradley also notched up 98 games with Port Adelaide in the SANFL from 1981-85, 19 matches for South Australia (15 state-of-origin) from 1983-99, six games for Australia in International Rules (1984, 2000-01-02) and 27 night series/pre-season games with the Blues for a grand total of 525 matches – an Australian record at the elite level.

One of the greatest midfielders of the modern era, Bradley announced his retirement via a statement to the media.

“Firstly, I’m fit, motivated and confident of being a valuable contributor to the team next season,” Bradley said.

“Secondly, I would like to announce my retirement. I have spoken to Denis Pagan and he has left the door open for me to play on. I thank him for the respect he has shown me with such an opportunity.”

“I have many people to thank and will do so in the coming weeks. I would however like to publicly thank the Carlton Football Club and the Port Adelaide Football Club for many wonderful times and their influences in shaping my life.”

“To leave the game with a bit left in the tank and in good personal form makes me feel good. It’s fitting that, Australian tour aside, my last game of footy was against Port Adelaide, a game in which I punctured my lung and broke a couple of ribs (thanks Port).”

“I'm a little excited about stepping back from the game and also a little nervous. I trust Donna (my wife) can handle any anxiety attacks coming her way.”

Bradley finished his career on a high when he was an integral part of Australia’s recent win over Ireland in the International Rules series. He was chaired from Croke Park in Ireland.

He achieved just about every accolade in football – playing in two premiership sides with Carlton in 1987 and 1995. He won three best and fairest awards - in 1986, 1988 and 1993 - finished fourth three times and third on three occasions. He was also named an All-Australian on six occasions – 1983, 1986, 1993, 1994, 1995 and 1997.

Bradley also captained Carlton from 1998-01, South Australia (1997, 1999) and Australia (2001), while he won three Fos Williams Medals (1986, 1991 and 1993), won the Michael Tuck medal in 1997 and was named in the teams of the 20th century for both Carlton and Port Adelaide (SANFL).

Carlton president John Elliott paid tribute to Bradley, who will leave the game as one of the most respected players in recent times and the sixth oldest player in VFL/AFL history.

“Craig Bradley has had a wonderful playing career at the Carlton Football Club and has brought enjoyment to many thousands of Carlton supporters and indeed football supporters over many years,” Elliott said.

“It is always difficult to know when to finish and I am pleased that the conclusion to Craig’s great career at Carlton was in keeping with the high standards he set throughout his distinguished playing days.”

Bradley left a touching message in his final statement:

“As a son, it’s rewarding to have your parents enjoy your life. My mother was my greatest supporter and God help anyone who crossed me within ear shot of mum. My dad is my hero. Thanks for teaching me the game of footy. I thank him for taking me with him when he coached footy. At age five, six, seven, he would take me, include me in his environment and his passion and I loved it.

“Our routine went something like: 9am game with Pooraka under nines and scull a bottle of coke after a victory. Rush off to grab some fish and chips and one pineapple fritter. Sit with dad eating and watching Woodville under 17s play and then hang around to be the mascot and watch dad’s under 19s play – I'd wander around all day kicking the footy. Then, to finish the day, back to Nanna’s for more chips and eggs and watching the footy replay. The ultimate day. For me anyway, it was a very special time.

“Mum and Dad, thanks for being there all the way and yet never pushing me. Before I finish, I would especially like to acknowledge Geof Motley for all his help and guidance. Good luck to my fantastic Carlton team mates in 2003. I'll be watching closely. Go Blues."

GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAMPION WHAT CHAMPION?
GOOD RIDDANCE TO THE BIGGEST RECIEVER TO EVER PLAY THE GAME

NICK THE PIE MAN 

Nick's BB veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:28 pm

Abit of <snip> respect 'Go Rupert'
Yeah I know he was Carlscum, but he has had an amazing career and anyone can play till he is 39 is worthy of my respect.

KILL FOR COLLINGWOOD

[This message has been edited by Black_White (edited 31 October 2002).]
Chris24 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:57 pm

Scotty Burns gets more hard ball gets in one game than that old <snip> had in his career. I dont give a <snip>? about Craig Bradley. If he had of continued he would have gone home to his nursing home after the game. Bout time the old prik retired.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:06 pm

For the negative brigade, here are some stats;

Carlton Debut: Round 1 1986 v Hawthorn at Waverley Park
Total Games: 375
Total Goals: 247
Best & Fairest: 1986, 1988 & 1993 (4 times runner up & 3 times third)
Premierships: 1987 & 1995

Pre-season Premiership in 1997 (captain and Michael Tuck medallist)

Carlton Captain: 1998 - 2001

Carlton Vice-Captain:1990 – 1997

Official Legend of the Carlton Football Club

Member of the Carlton Hall of Fame

Member of the Carlton Team of the 20th Century

Life Member of the Carlton Football Club

Life Member of the AFL

Australian senior games record of 492

All Australian - 1983, 1986, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1997

South Australian representative: 19 matches (15 State of Origin)

Fos Williams Medallist (Best on Ground for SA) - 1986, 1991 & 1993

International Rules Series: 1984, 2000, 2001 (captain) & 2002

Port Adelaide Best & Fairest - 3 occasions

Member of the Port Adelaide Team of the 20th Century
------------------------------------------------------------

And to think his last game of "football" was as a representative of AUSTRALIA. Not bad for a 39 y.o.

-Craig

GO RUPERT 10 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:12 pm

whats the matter u guys gone soft on carlton or something?
i hate carlton its players and supporters more than anything in the world

Chris24 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:23 pm

Sorry but is this a Collingwod or a Carlton website. Weve all hated Craig Bradley during his career so why pay him a tribute now. And Mr Black_White maybe u should consider changing your name to Blue_White.

Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:33 pm

Children, children, if you cannot acknowledge the contribution to our game, a game only played in Australia, then there is truly no hope for you.
Carlton are my number 1 enemy, but a player of this calibre is to be admired and respected.
This has nothing to do with carlton, it's to do with a man and his worth to our game.
As he no longer is a player with the filth, we can acknowledge him.
Easy as that children.

-Craig

molloymagic Aquarius

*Thanks 4 the great memorys Jarrod!**miss ya*

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:07 pm

I know he's a champion but it's about time he retired!.I hope he dosn't do a plugger and decide to make a come back.

Jarrod Molloy RULES!!!!
*2002 Joint V.C*
MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:22 pm

I acknowldege champions and contributors to the game but why talk about Craig Bradley on a Collingwood site, no thanx. I don't really care what he did unless he did it with Collingwood. Yeah he was a good player, well done to him but who cares.

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
carlabuckley_05 Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:31 pm

brooke well said.............who cares about bradley? and why is it on a collingwood site? ahh well

carla

there are two types of people ... those that barrack for collingwood ... and those that wish they did ...

[This message has been edited by carlabuckley_05 (edited 31 October 2002).]
Black_White 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:35 pm

You forget that this board, and others like it, service not only the Victorian supporters but the worldwide Collingwood/Afl followers.
If you don't like a topic, why bother replying?
Attention seekers?

-Craig

MissMagpie_20 Capricorn

BUCKS SIMPLY THE BEST!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:56 pm

Thats right Craig.

LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME, IM SO COOL

Yeah right, just cos ur a <snip> Craig

Floreat Pica - May the Magpies prosper

Note: edited for personal insult- B_W

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Pie In The Face 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:03 pm

Cheeky monkeys.

"I thought I had an appetite for destruction, but all I wanted was a club sandwich."

SS11 Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:20 pm

sorry Craig but this has to be said-

Bradley was just a common filth player who destroyed Collingwood for years, and i hope him and john elliot get hit in the arse by the door on the WAY OUT OF FILTH LAND

Get on the pension braddles

Carlton back to back spoons 2002-2003

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: