Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The rise of alcohol free beverages.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:12 am
Post subject: The rise of alcohol free beverages.Reply with quote

Much of the boom has taken place online, with a whopping 315 per cent increase in non- and low-alcoholic beverage sales over the past year compared with a 26 per cent rise in online sales of alcoholic options during that period, according to Nielsen. But now there’s a curious parallel phenomenon of boutique shops known as “dry stores” popping up in big cities selling only high-end booze-free drinks.

https://www.afr.com/companies/manufacturing/mocktails-are-100-proof-millennial-market-gold-20220123-p59qil#:~:text=Much%20of%20the%20boom%20has,that%20period%2C%20according%20to%20Nielsen.

Going into my third year alcohol free and it’s great to see how much the variety and quality of alcohol-free beverages has increased.
AF drinks are free over the bar at work now these include; Heineken Zero, Great Northern Zero & Carlton Zero in the beer range. There’s also an alcohol free ginger/apple cider and a range of pre-mix cans, including a gin & tonic, a bourbon & cola, a spritzer and a few other options as well. People can also choose from a limited range of soft drinks and bottled water.
One of the best beers is called Heaps Normal IPA, they’ve recently added a Lager to their range. At $65/box it’s the most expensive one too.
Good options in the $40-$50 range include; Nort – there’s a pale ale, a pacific ale, tropical ale and an all day IPA, Weihenstephaner, Great Northern, Easy Tiger, Heineken, James Squire & Becks.
Options under $40 are; Carlton zero, Bittberger, Coopers and Holsten.

There’s probably another 20 varieties available, but the ones above are ones I’ve tried and would drink again.

I often hear people say that it should be cheaper… maybe it should, but the thing is, I don’t drink anywhere near the number of zeros as what I did of normal beer. When I go to a BBQ, party or pub, I have no more than 4 – 6 and then I’ll have a water or soft drink. It’s great to have 2 or 3 after a hard day’s work too.

I love being able to drive everywhere, pick up anyone who needs a lift and waking up as fresh as a daisy every single day.
The money I’ve saved, the more productive I am and the better I feel, there’s no way in the world alcohol will ever pass my lips again… it’s a no brainer. The only thing I wish, is that I’d done this 30 years ago.
I’ve done a heap of research and read so many things about alcohol, it’s amazing how freely it’s promoted and advertised. One thing that I found astounding, 80% of calls to police are for alcohol related offences… 80%!
Anyway, I’m not about to preach to anybody why they shouldn’t drink, but one thing to ponder before you go on that next blinder is something I read that really stands out… “You don’t realise you have a problem with alcohol, until you step away from it”. So very true.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Northern Zero tastes just like Great Northern.

I had Christmas and my Grandsons birthday at my Daughters place, so that involved driving. Rather than trying to just have a couple of beers I took a 6 pack of Great Northern Zero.

Felt normal drinking as Beer does little to me anyway, except I knew that I was 0.00 when it came time to drive home.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:30 am

I have tried Lyres Spirits.
Not too bad but you need to play around with the mixes to get something to your taste. You can buy mini bottles if you just want to try.

Noticed that there are more non-alcoholic wines, spirits & beers in the supermarket.

Haven't yet had any non-alcoholic wines that don't taste like lolly water, would rather drink soft drink or mineral water.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:45 am

I think it's a great development too. Didn't realise there'd be such a market for them, but you see them everywhere now. I have a close friend who's struggled with alcohol addiction for years (couldn't go to sleep without it) and has found these a godsend.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:54 am

I don't get the no alcohol spirits. I've seen No Alcohol Gin which costs nearly as much as proper Gin. Rather than paying a premium for no alcohol G&T I'd rather just drink straight Tonic.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:01 pm

yeh but drinking straight tonic is not going to taste like G&T. gin has its own flavour - juniper, botanticals, and whatever else

non-alco vodka would be pointless though

i read somewhere that the reason non alco beer is expensive is due to the cost of production. they have to produce in ultra-sterile conditions since any hint of fermentation destroys the whole batch
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 1:13 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
yeh but drinking straight tonic is not going to taste like G&T. gin has its own flavour - juniper, botanticals, and whatever else

non-alco vodka would be pointless though

i read somewhere that the reason non alco beer is expensive is due to the cost of production. they have to produce in ultra-sterile conditions since any hint of fermentation destroys the whole batch

That's spot on and a reason why you'll never see it on tap. Alcohol kills any bacteria that might form in the hoses, no alcohol, no disinfection.

The G & T's (lyres), I can't tell the difference. I'll have one of those now and then at work, very refreshing.
Just on the free AF beverages at work. It was in response to the well publicised stories of sexual harassment etc on mine-sites, something I must say, in my 20+ years in mining, that I have never seen. There is a limit on alcohol too, no more than 4 mid strength drinks per day are allowed and it is heavily policed.

Another thing that stood out for me since quitting drinking was when my youngest daughter (22) Jess said to my wife, "I like Dad better now he's not drinking"..... It got me thinking, my kids had probably never seen me without a beer in my hand. My grandkids never will.

And yes Stui, great for not having to worry about an RBT. I've deleted my uber account too, no need for that anymore.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 5:50 pm

That's terrific Skids, coming from a fellow plumber of the same vintage, I'm also well into my third year of no alcohol. I could count on one hand in that time I've indulged, Christmas and one New Years. I don't even bother with N.A. stuff these days.

It was such a crap habit, alcoholic? I'm not sure, I gave it up very easy and haven't looked back. Our lives are about to make a huge change with our sea change and I guarantee it wouldn't happened whilst drinking.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:27 pm

Nort is a ripper. Probably my favourite, followed by the James Squire

The G&T are good for a change up

No alcohol wine is a flop however.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 7:30 pm

Skids wrote:

That's spot on and a reason why you'll never see it on tap. Alcohol kills any bacteria that might form in the hoses, no alcohol, no disinfection.

Not quite. Beer lines can still develop mould and bacteria if not regularly cleaned.

Granted the alcohol content does kill the majority of bacteria but not all. Wink

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:19 am

We order boxes of Big Drop ‐ Pine Trail Pale Ale and Galactic Milk Stout:

https://www.bigdropbrew.com/

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 12:23 pm

I tried the Pine Trail and I have to say, it was one of the most tasteless ones I've had. Might have to try a few others from their range.
Have you tried Nort or Heaps Normal?

Arch@M32 

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:31 pm

I opened this feed expecting it to be people saying "why bother?", "Just drink real beer".
But as a non drinker I am pleasantly surprised.
My favourites are Nort and Heaps Normal. I find Carlton Zero hugely variable. And find Great Northern undrinkable.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 2:51 pm

Arch@M32 wrote:
I opened this feed expecting it to be people saying "why bother?", "Just drink real beer".
But as a non drinker I am pleasantly surprised.
My favourites are Nort and Heaps Normal. I find Carlton Zero hugely variable. And find Great Northern undrinkable.

Everyone's taste differs. My 2 favourites are the ones you mentioned. I don't mind the Gt Northern. My barber drinks the Gt Northern and one of his mates popped in. The bloke only drinks Gt Northern on tap. Old mate poured him a zero into a nice cold glass, he drank 3 and didn't even realise it wasn't the real deal.

I just bought a Box of the Becks Blue. $40 and definitely one of the best value ones.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:05 am

Skids wrote:
I tried the Pine Trail and I have to say, it was one of the most tasteless ones I've had. Might have to try a few others from their range.
Have you tried Nort or Heaps Normal?

Just checking now. Looks like there's a gluten-free Heaps Normal (forgot to mention Big Drop are also GF).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: