Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Real John Wren

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckstopswithbucks 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:43 pm
Post subject: The Real John WrenReply with quote

Frank Hardy's 1950 novel Power Without Glory, later made into a television series by the ABC, promoted the view of Wren as a gangster with political influence in the Labor Party whose crimes included blowing up the home of a policeman tracking his gambling interests.

The novel and TV series conditioned my view of Wren. Then, at a match at Victoria Park in the late 1980s, I heard former Collingwood captain and totemic personality Lou Richards open up about Wren. ''They only went after him because he was a Catholic,'' exploded Lou. He went on to expound a view I have since read elsewhere that Wren only did what the Protestant potentates in the city did. His crime was he was from the wrong side of town. He was from Collingwood.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwood-shows-heart-over-krakouer-20120302-1u8k2.html#ixzz1ny0CeU29

TurkishPie 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

martin flanagan is a quality journalist
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:59 am

I have the tv series on dvd, its very good, and have read the book. Theres little doubt wren was fairly ruthless in his business and gambling interests, and his conduct could be a bit shady at times, but compared to todays corporate crims he was very mild. He loved the Pies with all his heart, and he used to give out large amounts of money to players who played well on match days, guys like bobby rose and lou himself did quite well out of him. ! Wren was a real Collingwood personality of a hundred years ago, working class and poor, who built an empire based on gambling and sport, though very rich, he never forgot his roots thats for sure.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:42 am

It's a great article - goes back to Wren & how Flanagan admires Collingwood for looking after its own.

Starts from Krakeour & ends with Wren.

That's a great quote from Lou:

''They only went after him because he was a Catholic"

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:25 am

I can attest to Wren's generosity. Just before WW1 my grandfather was renting a terrace house from him in Turner Street, across the road from the forward pocket at Vic Park at the Yarrawonga Falla end. My Pop lost his job and could't pay the rent. He wrote to Wren explaining his situation. Wren wrote back waiving his rent and actually put money in the envelope to help him. Not long after that my Pop decided to join the AIF and sailed off to Egypt and eventually Gallipoli. From that point on my family all became staunch Magpie people. My aunty has a copy of Wren's letter.
Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 am
Post subject: WowReply with quote

perthmagpie wrote:
I can attest to Wren's generosity. Just before WW1 my grandfather was renting a terrace house from him in Turner Street, across the road from the forward pocket at Vic Park at the Yarrawonga Falla end. My Pop lost his job and could't pay the rent. He wrote to Wren explaining his situation. Wren wrote back waiving his rent and actually put money in the envelope to help him. Not long after that my Pop decided to join the AIF and sailed off to Egypt and eventually Gallipoli. From that point on my family all became staunch Magpie people. My aunty has a copy of Wren's letter.

That is an amazing real story and you should be proud of your Grandfather as we all should for the service he gave to Australia. Wren was a truly great Australian and unfortunately has been ignored and forgotten by the current Collingwood administration.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:02 am

Did Wren vote Labor?
roar 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:49 am

^^ Of course he did! He was a Collingwood man, not some fop from brighton.
raymond35 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:34 am

Remember people:

We are all toothless
we are all unemployed
we all vote labor
we are all ferals

and watch out anyone who suggests otherwise

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:56 am

Wren was a complex character. I've always viewed Wren as having both good and bad traits. Five generations of my family lived in Collingwood and they had close contact with Wren. In fact, when Frank Hardy wrote his famous novel 'Power and Glory', closely based on the life of Wren, he got a much of the information from my family. I still have a first edition of the book signed with all the real names of characters.

My Great Grandfather, after making some dough on the goldfields, owned the Yarra, Bendigo and Town Hall hotels on Johnston street, but he was a chronic gambler and lost the lot to John Wren. My Pop was himself an SP bookmaker in Collingwood, who had to leave town in a hurry on one occasion, after falling foul of Wren's henchmen.

Make no mistake, Wren was a loyal Collingwood person all his life who never forgot his working class roots and was known for his local philanthropy. However, he was also a ruthless businessmen who also used corrupt control of the local Labor Party and his influence in the Catholic church, to pursue his own political and business interests.

It is true that the establishment - largely Protestant - was disdainful of this working class upstart, who was a Catholic as well. However, let's not overly get sentimental about him. The real heroes from Collingwood at that time were not the Wrens of this world, but rather the actual working class heroes, who worked in boot factories, breweries, textile plants, on building sites, doing harsh work in terrible working conditions and living in slums. My mum's family lived in a small slum with packed dirt floors. Many of these people devoted their lives to building trade unions to fight for better working conditions and better educational opportunities for their kids.

My auntie Thelma, who died this week aged 86, worked in a textile factory from the age of 14 and at 16yrs, she became the youngest ever person elected on to the executive of a trade union. These are the the real heroes of Collingwood. John Wren was not one of them.
buckstopswithbucks 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:54 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I have the tv series on dvd, its very good, and have read the book. Theres little doubt wren was fairly ruthless in his business and gambling interests, and his conduct could be a bit shady at times, but compared to todays corporate crims he was very mild. He loved the Pies with all his heart, and he used to give out large amounts of money to players who played well on match days, guys like bobby rose and lou himself did quite well out of him. ! Wren was a real Collingwood personality of a hundred years ago, working class and poor, who built an empire based on gambling and sport, though very rich, he never forgot his roots thats for sure.

Pretty tame stuff compared to the drug and murder empires today.. even if the book can be fully believed.. corruption just seems the norm for humans when they are trying to get something done, everyone loves to cheat and manipulate situations

I suspect it comes from our genes, everyone of our ancestors both human and animal if you go back far enough had to live by the law of the jungle, kill or be killed.. if you are in the bush and your family doesn't eat that night unless you kill something then it doesn't become cheating it's just good hunting skills.. maybe guys like Wren are just closer to their survival roots than others

This might even explain the Carlton football club

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:22 pm
Post subject: HmmmmmReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Wren was a complex character. I've always viewed Wren as having both good and bad traits. Five generations of my family lived in Collingwood and they had close contact with Wren. In fact, when Frank Hardy wrote his famous novel 'Power and Glory', closely based on the life of Wren, he got a much of the information from my family. I still have a first edition of the book signed with all the real names of characters.

My Great Grandfather, after making some dough on the goldfields, owned the Yarra, Bendigo and Town Hall hotels on Johnston street, but he was a chronic gambler and lost the lot to John Wren. My Pop was himself an SP bookmaker in Collingwood, who had to leave town in a hurry on one occasion, after falling foul of Wren's henchmen.

Make no mistake, Wren was a loyal Collingwood person all his life who never forgot his working class roots and was known for his local philanthropy. However, he was also a ruthless businessmen who also used corrupt control of the local Labor Party and his influence in the Catholic church, to pursue his own political and business interests.

It is true that the establishment - largely Protestant - was disdainful of this working class upstart, who was a Catholic as well. However, let's not overly get sentimental about him. The real heroes from Collingwood at that time were not the Wrens of this world, but rather the actual working class heroes, who worked in boot factories, breweries, textile plants, on building sites, doing harsh work in terrible working conditions and living in slums. My mum's family lived in a small slum with packed dirt floors. Many of these people devoted their lives to building trade unions to fight for better working conditions and better educational opportunities for their kids.

My auntie Thelma, who died this week aged 86, worked in a textile factory from the age of 14 and at 16yrs, she became the youngest ever person elected on to the executive of a trade union. These are the the real heroes of Collingwood. John Wren was not one of them.

The vast majority of trade unions today are disgusting parasites who use their members money for personal over paid salaries and donations to the rotten corrupt ALP. Mostly these are the right wing unions who are toothless gutless wonders. They just exist for ambitious low life factional power brokers to garnish collective support and funding to get into parliament. The modern Australian trade union is nothing like those great unions in our history that really did care about their worker members and all officials came from the shop floor so they understood the plight of the poor worker and their families. Show me a poor career trade union official today and I will show you a gambler or alcoholic. They are paid extremely well and exist to ensure the interests of the rotten modern ALP gets elected to waste our money on useless unproductive contracts on equally useless major projects and smash small business with crippling regulation. They represent the lazy and unproductive overpaid public sector workers as well. John Wren would be turning in his crave if he could see the state of the modern ALP today.

buckstopswithbucks 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Ha ha.. Oh I get it now.. ok ok

Hiss is our resident grumpy old man reminding us how he used to have to walk barefoot through 5 miles of snow to get to school every morning and how everything has gone to crap in a handbasket today Smile

Last edited by buckstopswithbucks on Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Piesnchess wrote:

I saw a bit about him on the ABC not so long ago, been looking for a copy of the book, found one at the library but they do not allow holds, sadly.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage

Last edited by The Prototype on Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:07 pm

buckstopswithbucks wrote:
Ha ha.. Oh I get it now.. ok ok

Hiss is our resident grumpy old man reminding us how he used to have to walk barefoot through 5 miles of snow to get to school every morning and how everything has gone to crap in a handbasket today Smile

"And if you tell the young people any o' that today - they won't believe you!"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: