Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Dean Cox the greatest ever ruckman?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:17 am
Post subject: Is Dean Cox the greatest ever ruckman?Reply with quote

6 time All Australian and counting. There have been some greats over the years, but can't imagine this guy getting beaten by any of them.

If he had of been ours I dare say we would have won 3-4 flags over the past 5 years.

Makes me extremely excited about Grundy and his potential influence. I think he will leapfrog WItts and get some games this year. They will be looking to protect him, but can see him demanding selection at some stage.
Pa Marmo 

Side by Side

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Madden would have destroyed him.
tomoleary Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:06 am
Post subject: Re: Is Dean Cox the greatest ever ruckman?Reply with quote

cityslick1 wrote:
If he had of been ours I dare say we would have won 3-4 flags over the past 5 years.

First of all, if we had've had Cox instead of Jolly, we probably wouldn't have won the 2010 flag, as 2010 was the year Cox was out injured all year.

Jolly was the right bloke at the right time for us.

I think Brad Ottens has been as good as any ruckman in the past decade. He was at least as good as Cox and played a major role in Geelong's 3 flags.

When Aaron Sandilands is not injured, as he has been a fair bit in the past 2 years, he's pretty hard to stop.

Jim Stynes, Corey McKernan, Justin Madden, Damien Monkhurst, Shaun Rehn, Matthew Primus (was awesome, but had heaps of injuries), John Barnes, Peter Everitt...

They're just some guys I remember from my lifetime. I've heard Greame "Polly" Farmer wasn't bad! Wink

Len Thompson, Simon Madden, John Nicholls, Noel Teasdale, Barry Round, Carl Ditterich, Noel Teasdale and Gary Dempsey.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:26 am

Cox the best ever? Well here's a list of Brownlow winning ruckman. It doesn't include Farmer, Nicholls, Madden or Dyer who never won it: Syd Coventry, Normam Ware, Roy Wright, John Schulz, Don Cordner, Len Thompson, Noel Teasdale, Graham Moss, Graham Teasdale, Garry Dempsey, Barry Round, Peter Moore, Scott Wynd, Jim Stynes.
My vote - Syd Coventry. A Brownlow medallist, the captain of four premierships and he played for the Pies, try and beat that!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:22 am

dean cox is one of the best for his era. comparing eras is difficult, using the brownlow as an indicator is unfair. cox is unlikely to ever win a brownlow by virtue of how the umpires vote these days.
warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:22 am

[quote="John Wren"]dean cox is one of the best for his era. comparing eras is difficult, using the brownlow as an indicator is unfair. cox is unlikely to ever win a brownlow by virtue of how the umpires vote these days.[/quote

Good morning Mr John Wren,

Spot on. Comparing eras is difficult.

It is often said, correctly, that John Nicholls and Judd are the same height. One is a premiership mid, the other a premiership ruck an.

People should examine the ruck an who performed in grand finals. Don Scott was first ruck in three flags in 1971, 76 & 78. Terrorised opponents.

Keating from Brisbane was a big game player.

Thompson, Simon Madden and Polly Farmer are, rightly, acclaimed as all-time greats for the clinical way they could dominate their opponents. Ignore all his media stuff and John Newman was also a wonderful ruck man.

I wish we had Carl Ditterich in the 60's and seventies though. Working in tandem with Thommo we would have been unstoppable...

Gary Dempsey and Barry Round were also heroic ruck men for two clubs.

All we need to remember is that Natanui will always be a better player. Than Watts and let every Melbourne supporter we know, know about it!!

Floret Pica.

raymond35 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:27 am

My god. i hope this is a troll.
Len Thompson and Simon Madden would eat him for breakfast and wouldnt need his multiple free kicks either.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:54 am

Madden would have slaughtered him, as would Peter Moore a ruckman of similar style to Cox.

Cox is a good centre bounce ruck, but his biggest strength is his around the ground play where he acts as an extra midfielder. Moore was very similar.

Jim Stynes would have probably conceded a bit in the ruck against Cox but more than matched him around the ground.

Cox has probably been the most consistently good ruckman of the last 10 years, but not the best ever.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:15 am

stui magpie wrote:
Madden would have slaughtered him, as would Peter Moore a ruckman of similar style to Cox.

Cox is a good centre bounce ruck, but his biggest strength is his around the ground play where he acts as an extra midfielder. Moore was very similar.

Jim Stynes would have probably conceded a bit in the ruck against Cox but more than matched him around the ground.

Cox has probably been the most consistently good ruckman of the last 10 years, but not the best ever.

If Jolls wins his third premiership this year, is he better than Cox??

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:22 am

warburton lad wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

If Jolls wins his third premiership this year, is he better than Cox??

I don't use that as a criteria. Aaron Keating was a premiership ruck, Peter Moore wasn't, I know who I'd take of those 2. Wink

Jolly is probably more valuable to us than Cox is to the Coasters and if we win another flag this year we'll need him to stand up on the day for it to happen. Will that make him a better overall ruckman over his career than Cox? Probably not in my book.

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:07 pm

A name that hasn't been mentioned and was a great ruckman and could play forward is P.Salmon.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Probably the best all round ruck I've seen as his ground level work is superb. All time? Impossible to tell. There's been ruckmen who've been better in certain areas of the game but Cox is pretty competent in all.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:55 pm

loki04 wrote:
A name that hasn't been mentioned and was a great ruckman and could play forward is P.Salmon.

Made Hawthorns team of the century after moving there as a 31 year old and wasn't far out of Essendons. Was in some other Champion team they had.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:17 pm

stui magpie wrote:
loki04 wrote:

Made Hawthorns team of the century after moving there as a 31 year old and wasn't far out of Essendons. Was in some other Champion team they had.

It's amazing that he made Hawthorn's team of the century considering he only played 100 games for them, as opposed to Essendon where he played over 200 games and scored just over 500 goals.

Anyway, Salmon would be one of the best ruckmans, along with Peter Moore who won two Brownlows at two different clubs.

Apparently Graham 'Polly' Farmer was extraordinary back in the 60s. A lot of people who saw him back then said he was one of the best at the time.

Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Champion Data will tell you that "statistically", Dean Cox is the greatest ruckman of all time. Not saying he is, although I rate him right up there...certainly the best since Simon Madden and clearly better than Jolly. That's not me selling Jolly short either. Remember, Coxy has been "elite" for 10 years. Jim Stynes was similiar in the amount of ball he got his hands on during a game, but big Cox kicks a lot more goals than Stynes did...a huge bonus for his club. Mind you, Naitanui is going to be the best ruckman the game has seen...since Cox.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: