Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you learn today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

sixpoints wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
... That when there is no footy on, I visit VPT.

Secondly, i learned about an amazing thing called the Khanacademy, where some philanthopic whiz-person has put 4500 educational videos on the web for free, so everyone everywhere can have a world-class education. In case this sounds like some kind of scam or an ad, it is assuredly not - google it. It's a human-nature faith restorer. I spent the day reminding myself about how mitochondrial DNA works.

^ 100% !
The Khanacademy is a fabulous. Free, presented in numerous languages and the quality of the videos/info is excellent. A proper use of the Internet indeed. Super resource for students. I know that many schools have been onto it for a number of years now and use it with their students.
Khan is an American who saw the possibility of the Internet in this way. He's a genius.

Yes, a Nobel Peace Prize in the making, surely. And the sheer quantity of knowledge and ingenuity of the teaching, by one man, is awe-inspiring.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:42 pm

I learned a few things in the last 2 days.

Rat poison is used in NZ to bait possums.
Possums like bait intended for rats ( I put two rat traps on the back deck )but their necks are stronger
Possums don't bounce but they can take a fall. When I have one hiding in the ventilation pipe for the rangehood over my BBQ, and crack the sads, rip the ventilation pipe off and throw it over the roof (possum and all) said possum was stunned for a while but moved on to somewhere else.
I need to wait 28 days to take possession of a firearm the first time I buy one and register it. Future ones I can take possession of same day.
Old muscles can still get stuff done, just need to train them up more slowly and be patient.
An empty room can look smaller than a furnished room the same size. Total optical illusion but quite freaky.
some foods taste different when you smoke to how they taste when you don't. Quite different.
I might have a look at this Khan academy. There's also another similar thing I can't remember the name of.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 am

^ So stop eating cigarettes.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:08 am

Alternatively, you could give Breadcrawl a ring and see in he wants to swap you. If I remember correctly, the going rate is three possums to the goat.

Mind you, if your chief objection is having your roses eaten, goats might not be your thing either.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:40 pm

I learned something I found quite interesting today. We all know the old cowboy and indian routines about the native Americans in North America. Accepted that they were tribes who lived in tents, moved around to follow the game and stuff, all the wisdom we got from the cowboy movies.

No one told me that in the middle of North America the natives had built a city that in 1250 AD was bigger than London was at the same time, and disappeared less than 100 years later, well before European settlement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia

http://cahokiamounds.org/

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/198

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Wow, I had no idea about that either. Are we talking a city city, or something vaguely resembling a city? Skimmed through the Wikipedia article and I wasn't quite sure. Where are some artists' impressions when you need them? Razz

Last edited by David on Wed May 14, 2014 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:07 am

Bugger another place in the US I want to visit. I'm gunna need 6 months!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:26 pm

It was a city. Mind you, the only building materials were dirt and wood (and water) so the buildings were a little less long lasting than those places that used stone.

Anyway, today I learned that when you mix science (mainly physics) with a slightly warped sense of humour and the outrageous, stir with dodgy questions, you get quite a good read.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:06 pm

last week I learned how to use a lathe.
I have an old hand cranked National flour mill but it was missing the back plate.
These things are rare and finding a replacement is problematic to say the least.
I went to the men's shed last week to see if anyone knew where I could get a cast made and found that solution is best described as very expensive.
Then i saw the lathe and the clockwork started...
I went home and got the mill and a nice piece of box wood, rounded it off put it in the lathe (with assistance) and cut the piece in about 20 mins.
The bloke helping me was a retired teacher, another bloke happy to show me the finer points of welding is engineering professor (retired) and another bloke is interested in the mechanical tools and sharpeners, as am I.
I'd seen most of these blokes around town but never more than nodded to any of them.
So what did I learn?
How to use a lathe and next week a welder and there's a huge recourse of knowledge and experience in these people that is truly just going to waste.
Men's sheds are not a waste of Government money.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 3:26 pm

3.14159 wrote:
last week I learned how to use a lathe.
I have an old hand cranked National flour mill but it was missing the back plate.
These things are rare and finding a replacement is problematic to say the least.
I went to the men's shed last week to see if anyone knew where I could get a cast made and found that solution is best described as very expensive.
Then i saw the lathe and the clockwork started...
I went home and got the mill and a nice piece of box wood, rounded it off put it in the lathe (with assistance) and cut the piece in about 20 mins.
The bloke helping me was a retired teacher, another bloke happy to show me the finer points of welding is engineering professor (retired) and another bloke is interested in the mechanical tools and sharpeners, as am I.
I'd seen most of these blokes around town but never more than nodded to any of them.
So what did I learn?
How to use a lathe and next week a welder and there's a huge recourse of knowledge and experience in these people that is truly just going to waste.
Men's sheds are not a waste of Government money.

I don't care who is funding them, it's money well spent.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Wombats poo is cube shaped Shocked One of my daughters sprooked that this arvo... I'm goin'' nahh, what, have they got square arseoles Question Question

Shocked Confused Shocked Razz Question Arrow

They do!!!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:09 pm

So someone who's shitting bricks is a wombat?
Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Skids wrote:
Wombats poo is cube shaped Shocked One of my daughters sprooked that this arvo... I'm goin'' nahh, what, have they got square arseoles Question Question

Shocked Confused Shocked Razz Question Arrow

They do!!!

I noticed that too! So weird. There must be some explanation.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:19 pm

I learned how to have fun with the periodic table.

fluorine uranium carbon potassium yttrium oxygen uranium bismuth technetium helium sulfur

Cool

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:27 pm

[quote="stui magpie"]I learned how to have fun with the periodic table.

fluorine uranium carbon potassium yttrium oxygen uranium bismuth technetium helium sulfur

eff u 2!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16   

Jump to: