Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you learn today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:56 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Love maths formulas. Thanks Stui!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:25 pm

Does 12pm actually exist? The answer is complicated.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-27/there-is-no-such-time-as-12pm/12283566

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 10:54 pm

this one stumps me, i say noon and midnight!!
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:32 am

stui magpie wrote:
Does 12pm actually exist? The answer is complicated.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-27/there-is-no-such-time-as-12pm/12283566

Love it Very Happy Very Happy

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Poor old Victoria Falls is about to be absolutely devastated - so sad fabulous place and people Crying or Very sad

Whilst doing some reading came across this story from the Jafuta foundation - - what an amazing young man! It’s really worth listening to his TED talk!!

....... patrols are too dangerous to perform at night, when some animals, especially lion, are active. In these instances, we have adopted an ingenious approach of installing Foxlight predator lights.

We were inspired to follow the wonderful solution devised by Richared Turere, a young Kenyan boy fascinated with electronics, who came up with an amazing solution to the constant threat of predatory wildlife faced by his Maasai community.

After noticing that lions were wary of flashlights, he created a solar powered flashing light which proved to be very effective, not only in scaring them off, but also in comforting the cattle with the light provided.

https://www.jafutafoundation.org/projects/community/human-wildlife-conflict-resolution/

Really worth watching his inspirational TED talk https://www.ted.com/talks/richard_turere_my_invention_that_made_peace_with_lions/up-next

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Sad no one interested in learning - it’s not preachy it’s just a really cool kid worth listening to!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:29 pm

Actually I did watch it before I fell asleep last night, very clever kid and funny too! Very enjoyable to watch
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:20 am

think positive wrote:
Actually I did watch it before I fell asleep last night, very clever kid and funny too! Very enjoyable to watch

Oh so glad you watched - hubby and I were talking about it and wondered why is this young kid’s - this young black kid’s vision and talent not being highlighted by the media? Would be much better than vandalising statues and trying to rename Coon cheese Rolling Eyes

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:37 am

Ain’t that the truth!

I know the lion did a lot of damage to the cow, and that the cow represents a good deal of the communities wealth but For the lion is Home, love that he found such an easy painless way of dealing with it. So very clever, loved his thought process.

Did you see the kids who fended of the bronze whaler in Qld, saying they saw swimmers out there and hope it’s not still around! Makes me laugh, of course it’s around,

And this should be in what pisses me off the tools who let their dogs chase a kangaroo into the sea, twice down Lorne way. That’s not on

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Sad no one interested in learning - it’s not preachy it’s just a really cool kid worth listening to!

When I see Ted talk I think 20-40 minutes. You should've said it was 7 and a bit minutes.

Really good story, kid is so natural and It's fkn brilliant that he's got a scholarship to a top school because of that and even better that his mum didn't quite kill him for destroying her new radio in the name of research Razz Laughing

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:44 pm

^ oh my bad sorry🤗 It is such a wonderful positive story - they seem to be a bit hard to come by atm! The way he worked through the problem at 9 and came up with a fabulous workable solution brilliant! Yeah mum’s radio and the electric fence quips - great kid I reckon he’ll kick on Cool
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Yeah TP bastard people - I’ve run out of conventional swear words so am now just making up my own for fckknuckles like them grrrrr!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:58 pm

think positive wrote:
Ain’t that the truth!

I know the lion did a lot of damage to the cow, and that the cow represents a good deal of the communities wealth but For the lion is Home, love that he found such an easy painless way of dealing with it. So very clever, loved his thought process.

Morrigu may smack me into line here, as I haven't been there just read a lot of Wilbur Smith books when I was younger, but for those tribes who have cattle, mainly the Nguni, it's not that simple, it's a complicated relationship. The cattle are their life.

For a kid who confessed he hated lions to come up with an idea that saved the cattle and didn't harm the lions, win-win, was quite brilliant.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:48 pm

^ no not at all as with all human-animal conflict it is the loss of animal habitat and ever encroaching human populations into the natural environments of animals that causes the problems.

Goats and cows for so many communities in Africa are their currency - they trade for other necessities and they feed the community - easy to be critical from a distance and I hate seeing lions, leopards etc etc killed (or goats and cows for that matter) but they aren’t doing it for fun like scumbag trophy hunters or doing it for money like scumbag poachers and unlike us there are not many supermarkets to just pop to for supplies.

The big cats follow their natural prey antelope zebra etc who wander into areas where communities with goats and cows live and they are easier prey to catch and well.....

The eles who are very thirsty and often relieve communities of their scarce water follow their migratory paths learned over centuries - no fence or do not enter will stop them.

I loved the Maasai they have learned and evolved from the days when it was a rite of passage for a warrior to kill a lion to prove his bravery - now they protect them.

This is what was so good about this - seems an effective and sustainable way especially as the lights are solar, to protect the humans and their much needed animals and the wild animals.
Win Win!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:03 pm

Cheers m'lady Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16   

Jump to: