Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What did you learn today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:23 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sicks Bux wrote:
I learnt that this year's Melbourne International Film Festival, which is going to be screened online, has a pretty shabby line up. They're advertising the premier of the Polish film Corpus Christi. I bought the DVD about three months ago. Confused

https://2020.miff.com.au/

It’s hard times, that’s for sure. Sydney Film Fest back in June had much slimmer pickings still. I guess they’re calling it MIFF 68 and a 1/2 for a reason!

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:19 am

Yeah, a lot of filmmakers are holding back on releasing their films until they can be screened in cinemas as that's more lucrative. But I wonder how long they'll be prepared to wait? It could be a long time before cinemas are back to their pre covid schedules.
Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:58 am

I agree with the point Jordan Peterson makes here. https://youtu.be/jMqQBLZwRIE
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:16 am

Doesn’t really check out for me. How much would it have aided the war effort to redirect resources (say, prison guards) from the camps to the frontline, really? And if we’re talking about the general maintenance of them, wasn’t part of the point of the Final Solution to save resources needed for the war effort? Costs a lot less to liquidate people than to keep them fed (no matter how poorly), clothed, guarded etc. for years on end.

As for the stuff about Cain and human motivation, I’m reminded of this amusing remark by Slavoj Zizek:

Quote:
With Jordan Peterson, you know what's my problem. I like to debate with neo-fascists [...] but sorry, Jung is too much for me.

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:21 pm

I like reading Slavoj and I agree about the Jung references being too much, but describing Peterson as a "neo-fascist" is ridiculous.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:08 pm

Quote:
Jordan Peterson appears very profound and has convinced many people to take him seriously. Yet he has almost nothing of value to say. This should be obvious to anyone who has spent even a few moments critically examining his writings and speeches, which are comically befuddled, pompous, and ignorant. They are half nonsense, half banality. In a reasonable world, Peterson would be seen as the kind of tedious crackpot that one hopes not to get seated next to on a train.

... having examined Peterson’s work closely, I think the “misinterpretation” of Peterson is only partially a result of leftists reading him through an ideological prism. A more important reason why Peterson is “misinterpreted” is that he is so consistently vague and vacillating that it’s impossible to tell what he is “actually saying.” People can have such angry arguments about Peterson, seeing him as everything from a fascist apologist to an Enlightenment liberal, because his vacuous words are a kind of Rorschach test onto which countless interpretations can be projected.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

Peterson is a kind of philosophical everyidiot.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:31 pm

roar wrote:
I like reading Slavoj and I agree about the Jung references being too much, but describing Peterson as a "neo-fascist" is ridiculous.

I think Zizek was probably joking about him being a neofascist (and as we know, they did end up doing the debate and seemed to enjoy each other’s company). But Peterson is unquestionably a reactionary.

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:03 pm

David wrote:
Doesn’t really check out for me. How much would it have aided the war effort to redirect resources (say, prison guards) from the camps to the frontline, really? And if we’re talking about the general maintenance of them, wasn’t part of the point of the Final Solution to save resources needed for the war effort? Costs a lot less to liquidate people than to keep them fed (no matter how poorly), clothed, guarded etc. for years on end.

As for the stuff about Cain and human motivation, I’m reminded of this amusing remark by Slavoj Zizek:

Quote:
With Jordan Peterson, you know what's my problem. I like to debate with neo-fascists [...] but sorry, Jung is too much for me.

I was thinking more about the stuff about committing mayham for the sake of it. I've had similar thoughts about the death and destruction the United States has caused in the Middle East before. Like what if their millitary aggresion isn't just about money but is also about the bloodlust of depraved minds?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:19 pm

I mean, yeah, sure – it's true that we sometimes overestimate the rationality of US government decisions, and one doubts that, say, John Bolton knows or cares what the long-term consequences of invading Iran would be. So destructiveness for its own sake is definitely a thing. I'm just not sure I buy into the "Hitler was a madman" narrative – I think it's a distancing tactic that many employ to try to explain away the human capacity for participating in mass atrocities – and I don't think Peterson makes a particularly strong case for it here; it does seem to me that his government had pretty clear political objectives and could well have succeeded had it not been for certain strategic failures and the dogged resistance of the Soviets.
roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Quote:
Jordan Peterson appears very profound and has convinced many people to take him seriously. Yet he has almost nothing of value to say. This should be obvious to anyone who has spent even a few moments critically examining his writings and speeches, which are comically befuddled, pompous, and ignorant. They are half nonsense, half banality. In a reasonable world, Peterson would be seen as the kind of tedious crackpot that one hopes not to get seated next to on a train.

... having examined Peterson’s work closely, I think the “misinterpretation” of Peterson is only partially a result of leftists reading him through an ideological prism. A more important reason why Peterson is “misinterpreted” is that he is so consistently vague and vacillating that it’s impossible to tell what he is “actually saying.” People can have such angry arguments about Peterson, seeing him as everything from a fascist apologist to an Enlightenment liberal, because his vacuous words are a kind of Rorschach test onto which countless interpretations can be projected.

Exactly, hardly a neo-fascist.

And David, of course he is a reactionary, reacting against what he sees as the destruction of western liberal values. You are probably right about Slavoj's response being tongue-in-cheek.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:26 pm

David wrote:
I'm just not sure I buy into the "Hitler was a madman" narrative – I think it's a distancing tactic that many employ to try to explain away the human capacity for participating in mass atrocities – and I don't think Peterson makes a particularly strong case for it here; it does seem to me that his government had pretty clear political objectives and could well have succeeded had it not been for certain strategic failures and the dogged resistance of the Soviets.

Quality posting David.

The purpose of the "Hitler was a madman" narrative is multifold.

As you say, it helps us pretend that "we wouldn't do that", whether that be "we humans" or "we Americans: (or Australians or whoever) or "we, the enlightened members of social movement X or political party Y".

By pretending that Hitler was hugely abnormal and totally unlike any other leader, by pretending that the horror of Nazi Germany was utterly unique, we are able to blind ourselves to the all sorts of uncomfortable realities. It doesn't matter how dreadful an administration becomes, how constantly it lies, how corrupt and immoral it is, no-one is ever allowed to compare it to Hitler's lot. In fact, there is a "rule" of discussion - a terribly bad rule, as we can see - which pretends that all rational discussion of a topic has ceased the moment anyone mentions Hitler. This is a very, very clever trick: it allows despots to act just like Hitler at the same time as it silences all honest criticism of them.

Try calling out Trump as a modern-day Hitler. You'll be howled down, but in reality the parallels are compelling, especially as regards the nuts and bolts of methods of public control.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Quote:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2018/03/the-intellectual-we-deserve

Peterson is a kind of philosophical everyidiot.

Just your typical hit piece of Peterson. It's not the first, and it won't be the last.

Quote:
In a recent hit piece on Jordan Peterson, Nathan J. Robinson’s “The Intellectual We Deserve” from Current Affairs, I discovered that Robinson misquotes Peterson’s book 12 Rules for Life. From p. 35–36, as quoted by Robinson:

Robinson’s article may be convincing to readers who know very little about Peterson; but for anyone who is familiar with him, his portrayal in Current Affairs will be of a person who is virtually unrecognizable, due in large part to sleights of hand and distorted interpretations like the one revealed above.

https://medium.com/@petermcarthur/the-hit-piece-no-one-deserves-d14760f9fd68

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:51 pm

I don't know what a Jordan Peterson is and have little interest in finding out.

Today I went for a cervical CT scan and learned quite quickly that something is def wrong with my neck. As soon as I lay down on the scan bed, the pain in my shoulder went nuts. I couldn't lie still so they had to do the scan again but with a higher head support.

Tested it at home. Laying flat on my back on the bed with no pillow, 3,2,1,ohfuck. Add pillow, all good.

Should find out tomorrow what the deal is.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:59 am

All the best with that Stui.

As for Jordan Peterson, he is a classic example of a type you see quite often: a moderately intelligent man who has come up with a few thoughts outside the mainstream (and I do mean a few, not very many) and been elevated to messiah status by clueless followers and - here is the rub - and - started believing in his own publicity.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 am

That these are 'highly similar':

https://www.google.com/amp/s/finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/bullying-apple-fights-couple-over-170834628.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16   

Jump to: