Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s their right to do so.
Their ancient mariner’s maps disclose that it is part of their historical South Chins Sea.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:34 pm

If they find life on Mars they'll send it to camps to be re-educated.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If they find life on Mars they'll send it to camps to be re-educated.

It's like shooting fish in a barrel for them, though:

Chinese tweet back wrote:
If Australians find life on Mars the first thing they'll wipe out is... Just kidding. Australians land on Mars? Laughing Laughing

Chinese tweet back wrote:
If Australians find life on Mars the first thing they'll wipe out is... Just kidding. You need maths to start a space programme Laughing Laughing

You're just lucky the flame wars are in their second or third language.

Last edited by pietillidie on Sun May 16, 2021 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Are they saying that they are in fact extermination camps and not re-education camps?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:00 pm

^As I say, you're lucky the flame wars are not in Mandarin.

I made those up, BTW (just in case someone thinks they're translations). But other peoples can actually flame very adeptly in their own languages. Just another irritation now Asians are learning English well enough to give it back, not bowing in politeness anymore like the colonial stereotype.

I just wonder how people are going cope with the shoe on the other foot. Not very well if the hypocritical affront at Chinese tweets is any guide.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:50 pm

Pi wrote:
My main point was how Australia could move on from its current trade reliance on one country and maintain its independence through a series of long term projects.

Australia can't even provide its citizens decent broadband, i.e., the most basic of 21st-century infrastructure imaginable. The idiots who wrecked the plan for that are now in power without an even vaguely electable opposition. You have no hope of organising a church picnic, let alone major projects requiring foresight and discipline.

Nothing is ever entirely hopeless, but there's a stack of soul searching needed to get there. Perhaps the next generation will be more worldly and less self-entitled, and actually do something serious before the nation burns through its natural capital.

For now, all you've got is half-witted fist wavers and shock jocks who get their ideas from the Keillor Downs Send Sudanese Home Facebook Group leading you.

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:30 pm

pietillidie wrote:

For now, all you've got is half-witted fist wavers and shock jocks who get their ideas from the Keillor Downs Send Sudanese Home Facebook Group leading you.

well, that's progress ; we have moved on from pasty fist wavers to half-witted ones of indeterminable color.

so.... in short its gulags for everyone, I even have a grey track suit and Stui promised me top bunk.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:38 pm

pietillidie wrote:
^As I say, you're lucky the flame wars are not in Mandarin.

I made those up, BTW (just in case someone thinks they're translations). But other peoples can actually flame very adeptly in their own languages. Just another irritation now Asians are learning English well enough to give it back, not bowing in politeness anymore like the colonial stereotype.

I just wonder how people are going cope with the shoe on the other foot. Not very well if the hypocritical affront at Chinese tweets is any guide.

I assumed that everyone would know that you made it up. Well, on second thoughts, I understand why you said it explicitly.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:44 pm

Pi wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

well, that's progress ; we have moved on from pasty fist wavers to half-witted ones of indeterminable color.

so.... in short its gulags for everyone, I even have a grey track suit and Stui promised me top bunk.

Top bunk is all yours provided you stay under 130kg and don't have chronic flatulence. Unfortunately my grey tracksuit pants have a hole in the crotch, but I have blue ones

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:54 pm

^ 85 KG so we are ok .....as for the flatulence.....out of luck unfortunately
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:06 pm

Ah well, at least we'll be safe from the ham witted half fisted intellectually inferior facebook users who think the CCP are a pack of douche nozzles.

Hopefully no Pangolin or Bat on the menu though

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:23 pm

^Let's hand people an award for recognising that powerful authoritarians are scum bags. What next? A Facebook poll on whether death adders are deadly? What does Alan Jones think, though?

The trouble is these folk don't even win that award because it's too easy to demonstrate that they adore their own authoritarian scum bags, disqualifying them and showing that they're merely impulsive, reckless and undisciplined big mouths.

But at least they know it will be official Glib policy next week.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:39 pm

I kind of feel like Chinese state-sanctioned Twitter "humour" is the last thing we need to be worrying about right now, PTID.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 10:58 pm

^But that's the level of Glib politics. It's pathetic; I regret wading back into it and realising just how incompetent and dog faeces-dumb Australian politics actually is. It's as clownish and unserious as the UK, led by as big a set of incompetent idiots on one side, and backward post-Marxian 1970s beige cardigans on the other, that you could fit in a parliament. A right horror show of talentless, unemployable gits.

Even more disturbing, you and others on here haven't thrown up one name for years now you think is half decent, meaning even optimistic insiders know it's a lost cause. Great.

Let the other thread on Israel-Palestine be instructive. Once the hatred and tit-for-tat gets baked into people's views, you're locked in mutual loss. This is the single point to get here: you either create a way out now, or this BS becomes part of your lives forever more amen.

FFS, someone put Keating, Evans and two sane old Glibs in special roles to find a way to trump the current mess with a clever scale solution that allows everyone to win. The lack of seriousness and inability to see what's happening is bloody frightening, yet the region is ready to move (so Korea, Japan, India, others beyond such as the UK and EU).

But no, you've got the world-clueless retail store manager Captain Hillsong and cringeworthy weirdo Dumbo Dutton on the case, with some homeless-looking ALP fool with brown cardigan and brylcreemed part loitering in the shadows behind. I don't think you all know how serious the situation is, like the frog in the pot that's slowly getting hotter.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:12 pm

This bloke puts more meat on the bones of the ideological extremist vote grab masquerading as China policy everyone's falling over themselves to support like drunks dribbling in their Y-fronts.

You've got the cheap domestic Facebook vote play by the Glibs (blindingly obvious); Anglophile/evangelical Glib nutters emboldened by Trump (blindingly obvious — hence a Neanderthal like Dumbo Dutton is laughably Minister for Defence alongside Captain Hillsong); a pathetic cowardly opposition scared of its own shadow (blindingly obvious); and hidden self-reinforcing security industry nutters (Keating's words — something others may know more about, but they're famed for this, having no public accountability).

It's the deranged Trumping of Australian foreign policy: a clueless, big-mouthed, incoherent, lurching religious quackery.

The result is a dangerous lack of coherent policy, complete unpreparedness for contingencies, and an off-siding of regional partners. As the flaky Trump-like creepy weirdo in the region, Australia has no sophisticated policy, thought or planning to even explain to regional partners, undermining the most crucial means of peace, wealth and security it has.

Select quotes from some old Fairfax journo in the Fin Review in May wrote:
Over recent months I have sought to find out why and how Australia did a U-turn on China policy so abruptly, what the policy objective was, and why we have sustained it in such a clumsy and expensive and now belligerent fashion.

The conclusion is that while we dramatically changed our approach, we did not define a policy objective for the new relationship with China or a strategy to achieve it. Nor did we thoroughly review alternative options. We elevated anger about Chinese activities in Australia and latent ministerial hostility towards China, turning threadbare slogans into policy. Traditional measured, thoughtful policy-making in an area of such great importance is lost.

In 2021, domestic political advantage is now a key driver of China policy.

A majority of ministers were quickly persuaded their long-held antipathy to China had been justified, and they were open to an aggressive response. Australia should not be pushed around by China, they decided. We must stand up for our values.

Quite early, the domestic political advantages of a China threat narrative were grasped by coalition ministers and advisers. It would play to the Coalition’s polling strength as a defender of national security. The ALP could be wedged as a friend of Beijing. Washington would approve. For Malcolm Turnbull, re-elected with a bare majority of one, the hawks of the Abbott rump of the Coalition backbench would be mollified. In 2021, domestic political advantage is now a key driver of China policy.

One insider confirms the intelligence agencies were the effective advocates for the change. An enthusiastic supporter of their assertiveness and still actively involved in administering our approach to China, remarks: “Paul Keating claimed that if the security agencies were running foreign policy, ‘the nutters are in charge’ … discount Paul’s characteristic language about nutters… he was fundamentally right!”

One still-serving official says: “Without Trump, the hawks would not have had the moxie to develop their insane line that we had no choice but to divert trade flows and supply chains.”

There is a curious aspect of the approach of some hawks I talked to in government. Trade with China is referred to not as trade but as “money” and the inference is that it is dirty money.

It is odd to report this but not only is trade disparaged, and economic opportunity and its vital underpinning of national economic strength shrugged off: business is publicly described as “difficult”, privately as corrupted by China and disloyal.

The Government’s pursuit of electoral advantage, the Opposition’s cowed fear of dissent, the raw language of ministers and officials, the sensational leaks to inspire fear and paranoia and the chorus of even wilder spirits in the coalition backbench and in the intelligence community, think tanks and the press makes Australia a danger to itself.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/how-australia-got-badly-out-in-front-on-china-20210428-p57n8xconcede errors or back down. The arguments on both sides have retreated in to slogans.

https://www.afr.com/politics/federal/how-australia-got-badly-out-in-front-on-china-20210428-p57n8x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 44 of 50   

Jump to: