Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chinese imperialism and future Australian sovereignty

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Ptiddy, just have a Bex and a lie down. I don't want to fight with you, we've been there, lets not do it again.

We each have opinions informed by different stuff and the likelihood is we're both wrong.

I think you're the one lashing out here. Fair enough, but this isn't going away in a hurry. My biggest concern — and you're far more sensible than most people most of the time so this may not apply to you — is that problems not engaged and framed productively are problems that fester and explode.

The lack of 'can do' about our culture these days is dispiriting. This is why countries like SK are such a breath of (heavily polluted) fresh air!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:24 pm

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:
Getting over the constant racist calls, I don’t hate Chinese people, I do hate China and the misery they have subjected the world to. I hate the callous way they allow animals to be treated. I also hate the US laws on many things, such as their wild animal policies, (and it may be that Tiger King has will now force changes) and those god awful people who damage horses legs to make them step up. And Australia for allowing jump racing despite the carnage. It’s not racism, it’s evil shit done by a country that happens to be a race that’s not the same as mine. I don’t hate muslins, I do hate isis. And I do hate Umpires ever $�$%^%%$ colour they are .

Yep!! I do hate the Chinese people mainly the middle class and wealthy who are rapidly ensuring the extinction of so many species with their greed and “status” shite and the authorities who turn a blind eye to it! I understand that poverty may cause people to eat what we would consider repulsive and not acceptable- that doesn’t excuse the cruelty in any way!! I love the increasing number of Chinese people who are working their backsides off against the odds to improve animal welfare in their country. And you can extend that love and hate to every country including the USA and our own.

100%

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:40 pm

A tiny snippet of internal insight:

The NYT wrote:
The bellicose voices in Beijing have been subtly challenged by proponents of a more moderate approach, and the Chinese foreign ministry distanced itself from Mr. Hu’s comments on nuclear weapons. Despite the ill-will, both governments have pushed ahead with the partial deal to ease trade tensions.

“China is also highly polarized,” said Professor Zhu, the Nanjing University scholar.

“Some people just believe that there’s no way but to just fight back. But I don’t think so,” he said. China, he said, “needs to be very coolheaded.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/15/world/asia/coronavirus-china-united-states-cold-war.html

If I were younger, I'd move to China on a mission to help understand and translate what's going on there because our cluelessness on the subject is palpable. We would grasp a tenth of eff all about the place.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 5:54 pm

^

Read some of Stan Grant's stuff about being posted over there, being under constant surveillance with the constant implied threat of what may happen if you published something the authorities didn't like.

No thanks.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 7:55 pm

^I just had a look. It's good to see someone taking the topic seriously, and he's always struck me as a decent bloke, even if subject to the usual caveats about journos.

But he hasn't lived in proper Chinese suburbs, worked at proper Chinese companies, and built circles of average Joe Chinese friends he mixes with after work everyday. He's acted as a journo on official business who occasionally pokes his head around the corridors of power in Hong Kong and Beijing. Or have I missed something in his CV?

Note I said I would move there; i.e., pack up everything proper and move there as I did SK. Embed myself in everyday life and business.

This sort of cursory engagement is why change in countries often surprises outsiders, or people miss brewing financial collapses and pandemics. People only know only of talk about such places filtered through a very narrow set of representatives and sanitised channels and ideas. Meanwhile, the forces of real life are actually shaping things and suddenly take everyone by surprise.

To give you an example of the sort of cliched nonsense even Grant trades in, in this article he is merely parroting vague constructs. I see zero special insight here. Have a read and tell me what I've missed: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-27/coronavirus-critical-juncture-china-the-west-world-order/12179972

That's just banal ideology at best. I would only quote something like this to mock it's vacuousness, as I'm doing here:

Stan Grant wrote:
They weren't becoming like the West, they were overtaking the West. They weren't on the wrong side of history, they were making history. What's more, the West helped them do it.

That's the level of his insight; i.e., cliches from celebrity historians who major in controversy to sell books. Have you ever seen me quote them on SK? Do you think in a million years I would even bother reading Niall Ferguson on SK, let alone on China? (Frankly, I wouldn't waste my time reading Ferguson on much at all, but Grant's a journo so fine, he has to quote known people, but FFS at least make sure they actually know something about the subject matter).

The brain works in layers from embodied, lived and subjective, out to more imaginary, vague frameworks we use to feel as if we have control of complex subjects. It's a sort of emotional security blanket. There's nothing insightful about it, even though 98% of the internet consists of such emotive groping at control.

To offer a concrete example you will appreciate, this vague imagination of what's going on elsewhere or in other lives or spheres is why you don't want academics running companies because they only imagine vague constructs about companies. Actually running companies day-to-day dealing with people, deadlines, competition, hiring and firing, and the pressure to make payroll is a different planet altogether. (This is also why I will never take a party of the left seriously if it doesn't have a comprehensive business and industrial policy, or conversely can't suffer most of the right when it craps on about government and social services — in both cases they're just talking imaginary rot).

And I won't even start on the gap between that level of thought and science, and we know science itself is subject to context and caveats.

So yes, Stan knows a little bit about China but he's not even a proper expat, and expats themselves range from long-stay racist tourists living the easy life outside the culture, going to expat bars night after night with expat friends to moan about locals, to people who genuinely step inside the culture to view the world from the internal perspective and assumptions of the local mainstream.

Last edited by pietillidie on Sat May 16, 2020 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:29 pm

pietillidie wrote:

To offer a concrete example you will appreciate, this vague imagination of what's going on elsewhere or in other lives or spheres is why you don't want academics running companies because they only imagine vague constructs about companies. Actually running companies day-to-day dealing with people, deadlines, competition, hiring and firing, and the pressure to make payroll is a different planet altogether. (This is also why I will never take a party of the left seriously if it doesn't have a comprehensive business and industrial policy, or conversely can't suffer most of the right when it craps on about government and social services — in both cases they're just talking imaginary rot).

I just wanted to quote this as the time you and I were 100% on the same page

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

I just wanted to quote this as the time you and I were 100% on the same page

I actually suspect out political preferences are probably quite similar. We likely just get more or less annoyed by different groups due to background and experience.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:52 pm

Shush, you can't say that, I'm apparently a far right,woman hating, union bashing, puppy killing, cat shooting, racist, misogynist because I don't always vote Labor. Razz Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:59 pm

Not the puppy please
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:10 am

stui magpie wrote:
Shush, you can't say that, I'm apparently a far right,woman hating, union bashing, puppy killing, cat shooting, racist, misogynist because I don't always vote Labor. Razz Wink

As a goose stepping Nazi I sympathize Laughing
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:13 am

Wokko wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

You're just Ayn Rand's lost love child. Razz

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:47 am

Embarassed wrong thread
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 12:48 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Wokko wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

You're just Ayn Rand's lost love child. Razz

It's nice to be understood occasionally Laughing
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Nah, whether u vote ALP or not is neither here nor there. You might be right about the rest of it though 😜

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 9:40 pm

The USA complained that Israel was buying or selling something with China then this happens:

https://m.jpost.com/breaking-news/chinese-ambassador-to-israel-found-dead-in-hertzliya-home-report-628299

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 7 of 50   

Jump to: