Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should all beaches be clothing-optional?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What are your thoughts on nude swimming?
It should be allowed at all beaches
16%
 16%  [ 4 ]
It shouldn't be allowed at all beaches, but there should be more places where it's acceptable
37%
 37%  [ 9 ]
The current state of affairs is fine
41%
 41%  [ 10 ]
It shouldn't be allowed on any public beach
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 24

ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate and I took our ladies to Koh Chang last year and did a boat cruise to the smaller islands in the national parks. Ko Chang is an island in Thailand near the Cambodian border. Most of the passengers were Russians and most were over 50. We went to a small island where only 24 tourists stay over night but it has a nice beach with a bar and a cafe. An over 60,s Russian couple Ivan Drunkalot and his wife Vulgar Olga kept falling over on the footpath, in the sand, on the grass. Olga decides to climb onto the jetty (next to the steps) and her bikini top got caught up and was ripped in half and well useless. With that she fell backwards into the sand and water and emerged topless with the only covering of her ample and sagging boobs was sand. To this day I was so glad we did not take a camera. So to David I say. Be careful what you ask for.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:43 pm
Post subject: Re: Should all beaches be clothing-optional?Reply with quote

David wrote:
But, by the same token, those who want to be naked should be able to be. If you don't like it, don't look. People who are offended/disgusted by speedos or bikinis already exercise their right to look elsewhere; why should nudity be any different?

Nah, "Don't like it, don't look at it" is a dumb argument. It's very hard to not see stuff that is potentially all around so what you're actually doing is driving the probable majority of people away from the beach because of the small minority who want to air their dangly bits in public.

I have no problem with public beaches being top optional, that just puts the girls on the same playing field as the guys. If granny wants to let the girls hang free, good on her, but the bottoms stay on at public beaches where all different cultures and ages can go. The majority of people don't want to see other people's dangly bits in a public environment. If they did, we wouldn't have laws about public decency.

Suggestion regarding asking questions about "Why not" scenarios, if you want to actually advocate for a change in the status quo you need to create a valid case for change. The option you want to change to doesn't start as equal with the current, it starts well behind and you need to prove why it's a better option. In a democracy, simply trying to argue that the minority are right and the majority will get over it doesn't really work well.

Oh, and IIRC I think you'll find that the reason why many of the nudist beaches are so difficult to get to and unfriendly etc is because of complaints from the people who used them about gawkers.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Actually, the majority do accept nudity in many, possibly most parts of the world. Australia is unusually prudish for a supposedly advanced nation. In most of Europe, casual family nudity on the beach or in the sauna is perfectly routine and nobody thinks twice about it.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:27 pm

Yeah but people in europe don't vote in local council elections in Australia so they don't count. It's the majority of people in a council or electorate that need to be convinced.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:51 pm

The thing is, Stui, I kind of suspect that the majority of Australians—or at least a significant proportion thereof—would actually be receptive to this idea, if not wholeheartedly supportive.

One thing I've learned from the way the same-sex marriage issue has developed here is that the majority of Australians don't seem to really care how other people behave so long as it doesn't affect them. People are people, though, and there is a tendency to just accept the status quo as the norm because "that's the way it is". So, we've seen support for same-sex marriage go from something like 25% support to 75% support in about 20 years—there can't be a lot of dramatic Damascus Road conversions there; more likely, it's just people shrugging their shoulders and saying, "actually, now I think about it, yeah, why not?".

I honestly don't think the majority of Australians are that uptight about public nudity, particularly when it comes to a setting as obvious as the beach. Some are that uptight, definitely, but I think most of us just couldn't give a toss. I think the reason it hasn't gained any traction is simply the fact that the issue is a bit too weird and "not serious" for any contemporary mainstream politicians to champion. But if another Whitlam government came in tomorrow and announced a sweeping list of moderate reforms and included this one somewhere down the bottom, I doubt there'd be any major protest against it.

stui magpie wrote:
Oh, and IIRC I think you'll find that the reason why many of the nudist beaches are so difficult to get to and unfriendly etc is because of complaints from the people who used them about gawkers.

I covered this in my original post. I think it's reasonable to say that my proposal would put an end that problem.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Back in the 80's there was a section at the northern end of Scarborough beach (we called it Contacios, don't know why?) where heaps of chicks would go topless. It wasn't until the 90's that the ranger started enforcing the cover up rule.
Us in our mid-late teens, we loved it!

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:38 pm

My mind says "yes, nude beaches", but in my mind, beaches are only filled with really hot woman.

Given the changing shape of Stray'ns, I suggest we mandate more covering up rather than taking more off.

Beaches are also a family thing so you have to respect that all out nudity is not something that I really think is appropriate for all ages.

Extrapolating out, does nude swimming in the ocean then translate to nude swimming in a public pool?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:48 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Extrapolating out, does nude swimming in the ocean then translate to nude swimming in a public pool?

Nope. They are quite different. The ocean tastes of salt 'coz it's got salt in it. The pool tastes of piss because ...

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:17 pm

David wrote:
The thing is, Stui, I kind of suspect that the majority of Australians—or at least a significant proportion thereof—would actually be receptive to this idea, if not wholeheartedly supportive.

One thing I've learned from the way the same-sex marriage issue has developed here is that the majority of Australians don't seem to really care how other people behave so long as it doesn't affect them. People are people, though, and there is a tendency to just accept the status quo as the norm because "that's the way it is". So, we've seen support for same-sex marriage go from something like 25% support to 75% support in about 20 years—there can't be a lot of dramatic Damascus Road conversions there; more likely, it's just people shrugging their shoulders and saying, "actually, now I think about it, yeah, why not?".

I honestly don't think the majority of Australians are that uptight about public nudity, particularly when it comes to a setting as obvious as the beach. Some are that uptight, definitely, but I think most of us just couldn't give a toss. I think the reason it hasn't gained any traction is simply the fact that the issue is a bit too weird and "not serious" for any contemporary mainstream politicians to champion. But if another Whitlam government came in tomorrow and announced a sweeping list of moderate reforms and included this one somewhere down the bottom, I doubt there'd be any major protest against it.

stui magpie wrote:

I covered this in my original post. I think it's reasonable to say that my proposal would put an end that problem.

David, mate, reality grip.

The Federal government has no power over that kind of stuff, it's local council and maybe state. Another Whitlam Government? Huey save us all.

Comparing gay marriage (which has taken 20 years to grow in support) is silly. People can support Gay Marriage as an ideal without having to ever have to experience a gay couple copulate on their kitchen bench. Nude people at the beach is right in people's faces in a way that Gay marriage isn't.

But, by all means go and petition a local council that you don't live in to make a change to laws that will piss off a majority of their rate payers and see how well that works for you. Idealism is a beautiful thing until it runs into the wall called reality. And I say that being someone who on a daily basis tries to implement change and has to deal with the pushback from recalcitrants.

And Tannin, the reason the ocean tastes like salt is because things that live in the water **** in it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 am

I think you're definitely right that the question of whether each specific beach should be clothing-optional is currently a council issue, but laws against public nudity are, as far as I'm aware, federal. Add a little note about public nudity being illegal except at beaches, and local government and resident NIMBYs are taken out of the picture.

I do grant you your point that public nudity is not quite the same sort of issue as same-sex marriage, but I still think it doesn't seriously affect anyone. How can the human body be considered offensive when most of us see ourselves naked every day? It just seems like a stupid, old-fashioned taboo to me.

As for those making fun of overweight middle-aged naked people, have you ever thought that seeing more average bodies in their natural state might actually have a positive social impact? I certainly think it would.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:38 am

They'd be state laws, I'd imagine. Doesn't sound like a federal responsibility.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:46 am

David wrote:
I think you're definitely right that the question of whether each specific beach should be clothing-optional is currently a council issue, but laws against public nudity are, as far as I'm aware, federal. Add a little note about public nudity being illegal except at beaches, and local government and resident NIMBYs are taken out of the picture.

I do grant you your point that public nudity is not quite the same sort of issue as same-sex marriage, but I still think it doesn't seriously affect anyone. How can the human body be considered offensive when most of us see ourselves naked every day? It just seems like a stupid, old-fashioned taboo to me.

As for those making fun of overweight middle-aged naked people, have you ever thought that seeing more average bodies in their natural state might actually have a positive social impact? I certainly think it would.

Yep, an increase in throwing up.

David, there are options, you want more, partition for them, but I'm guessing majority will rule against you. But there are options, take em and be happy with em. Or put a pool in your back yard!

If that's your only disappointment in life, well lucky you!

Oh and did you see on Facebook, the queens comment regarding England's same sex marriage change?

regan is true fullback 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:16 am

it is a vexed question.

If you live near a beach in Australia, it is your sworn duty to keep outsiders out. This can be seen in Cronulla, where locals harassed the westies, Palm Beach, where they impose exorbitant parking fees, Maroubra where the locals assault people who "steal" their waves and Reef Beach, where a concerted campaign against anyone who even looked like a nudist was conducted by the locals including damaging cars of outsiders.

This is how it is. So nudist beaches, which attract more people and supposedly, "undesirables" are looked at by locals in the same way as a garbage dump or a prison.

What you have is akin to a right of way to your property, as we had for many years on our farm. You may have a right to access your property, in this case the beach which belongs to everybody. But it is not in your best interests, as every land holder knows, to p!ss off the holder of the right of way. It's just the way it is. The land around Swanbourne in Perth is owned by the army, so they don't care. Similarly Alexandra Bay in Queensland is surrounded by a huge national park so they don't care. Elsewhere you got problems.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:31 am

^ really good ponts there, RITFB
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 pm

But David, wont somebody think of the ......................

Muslims!

http://austeaparty.com.au/web/victorians-cover-up-for-pool-event/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13   

Jump to: