Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

This week is season defining

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shwany 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:56 pm
Post subject: This week is season definingReply with quote

Dare I say it this weeks game could be the start of the Buckley legacy or the beginning of the end.

For the last 12 months I don't think many know exactly where we are at, we started brilliantly last year and then faded, was this is continuing the downward spiral or was it due to injuries?

Last week game sums up Collingwood perfectly, brilliant when pressure is on leading early but then fading and getting an injury.

If we can win this week we will be 2-0 with games against st kinda Essendon Carlton to come. In fact our first 12 weeks are relatively easy with only real tough games against Richmond Gold Coast Geelong and North. All of those team we would be a chance against IF are form is good enough to beat the crows.

Our injury list is not that bad, yes we have lost Sidebottom and greenwood, but your always going to have a list like this, with the exception of these two and Reid who is now available we are pretty close to full strength 19/22, most teams would be there abouts.

Adelaide in Melbourne is the perfect measuring stick. A win will symbol the tide has turned a loss will mean we are still falling.

We will know a lot more about Collingwood come Saturday night.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:14 pm
Post subject: Re: This week is season definingReply with quote

Yes and no.

A win would certainly send a powerful message to the rest of the competition that we are on the rise. However, given the relative youth of our team, we are likely to be up and down for a while yet, until we develop a settled and more experienced line-up, so even a loss this week would not necessarily mean we are falling. Regardless of the result, what we want is effort and spirit shown by our team. With Reid, Witts, Moore, Scharenberg, Greenwood, Sidebottom, De Goey and Freeman to come into our side later this year, it's clear to me the best is yet to come.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good opening post shwany but I'll have to respectfully disagree with you.

I believe that last week's match against the Lions was far more crucial in ascertaining whether this current Collingwood team had any passion or desire to do the hard yards. After the terrible performance against the Bulldogs in the NAB Challenge practice match there were far more questions than answers as to how the boys would respond, and after seeing our first game I was thoroughly impressed. We were still sloppy and dropped off significantly in our intensity and run in the final quarter but I was proud of the boys overall.

I think this week's result will be irrelevant about how we're progressing into the future. A win could be a real confidence booster for this young side but it doesn't mean that we're set for a great future just like a loss means that the end isn't inevitable for Buckley. We're a young side who will be up and down like a yo-yo this year but if it's evident that we're improving in our game plan and the kids development continues to go smoothly and win enough games to challenge for a spot in the bottom part of the 8 then there will be a lot to like heading into 2016 and beyond.

This year is a year of development for the club but that doesn't mean we should lower our expectations. The playing group internally should strive to do the best it can possibly can but at the same time we shouldn't be surprised if we have small setbacks along the way but hopefully these setbacks will be character-building and make us a stronger team in the future.

We're deserving underdogs against the Crows on Saturday but I give us a chance to pull off a memorable victory if certain things go our way and we play with the same heart and desire like we did last week.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:14 am

Every Game is Season Defining
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:30 am

Agree with Jezza. And as long as we play like last week, all the second efforts, the pressure, everyone really giving their all, well, you gotta be happy with that. We had some stinkers the end of last year. I want to see effort, because without it, improvement won't come. Go Pies!
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:24 am

no it isn't. worst case scenario is we have a 1-1 win/loss record after two rounds.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:52 am

it always makes me giggle when people place too much emphasis on one game of football. especially in round 2.

We had an amazing win in round 2 last year against the swans. It was not career defining for our coach, just another positive development.

Losses are bad, wins are good. winning more than you lose is more important than what happens in one game.

what i do think is that week 1 made believers out of a bunch of negative nellies, but we didnt really beat a top team. I think this win is importnat for our supporters who want to believe we are a threat and they want to believe it now. For them, this game will tell them a lot. These fans will also turn on the pies if they have a late season swoon as well so it really doesnt matter.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:32 am

Brisbane didn't score in the last 7 minutes of last week's game. The defensive effort was pretty good.
That game was played under very humid conditions. How will the players recover?
This game isn't only about Collingwood.
There is another team playing.
How good are the Crows? They were very good against North.
How good is North?
Who knows.
It would be great if we win, but at the very least, a strong competitive effort must be shown.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:30 am

I see it more as an opportunity then a defining match.

If we had our best 22 all fit then yes I'd expect a win, but with Reid, Sidey and Greenwood missing all we can ask for is a 4 quarter effort and an improvement on the crap we produced late last year.

The Crows are a complete unknown, they could be a genuine top 6 team or just got lucky in round 1.

Win and we start the season 3-0, that was totally unexpected by all so called good judges.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:38 am

We really need to make the most of our soft early draw, if we win this we're right on track Imo.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:43 am

Dave The Man wrote:

Yep. I'm with you on that score.

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:02 am

Dave The Man wrote:
nail + head
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:58 am

Round 2
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:26 am

I think we'll win👍
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:50 am

A lot of reasonable views.. for me it simply about our efforts. We dont want a Fremantle 2014 round 1 experience, so a win will be sensational considering our list, a lose with great effort will also be encouraging.

Dont think its about falling backwards just yet with this team. Most media people expect this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: