Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Was Rodney Eade the problem at Collingwood?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golden Gordon Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:54 pm
Post subject: Was Rodney Eade the problem at Collingwood?Reply with quote

Hi people. First thread so go easy on me.

The Gold Coast Suns have been in freefall ever since they sacked Guy McKenna and put Eade in his place. Now after their first win of the season they suspend three players for drinking. It seems that the "culture" issue that plagued us for the first few years of Nathan Buckley's tenure has reared its head on the Gold Coast.

I just wonder whether the fact Bucks is coaching so well this season and we are playing such a free running brand of footy, might have something to do with the fact that he is now out of Eade's shadow around the club. Perhaps Eade was the man who told Bucks he needed to address the so-called culture issue which seemed to upset a few of our key players in recent times. As a mentor to Bucks Eade might have had more of a say in our confused game plan over the last couple of years. And now finally with Eade gone Bucks is his own man at last. The players certainly seem to be playing for him and he seems much more relaxed in his coaching role.

So I have to ask, was Rodney Eade the problem at Collingwood and not Bucks?

FWIW I think the game has well and truly passed Eade by and the Suns have made a terrible mistake in taking him on.

princem007 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

doubt it very much, don't think eade had much say in things otherwise he wouldn't have taken on another coaching job. i think our problem was injuries and a young inexperienced list last year that run out of puff.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:16 pm

G'day Golden Gordon. Welcome to the madhouse.

An interesting idea, but I'd turn it around. Guy McKenna always struck me as an extraordinarily capable man. Gold Coast's problem isn't that they unwisely appointed Eade, it is that they stupidly sacked the best coach they could have hoped for. You'd think that McKenna will be snapped up pronto by some desperately unsuccessful club later on this year. Please, make it not be Carlton!

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:20 pm

You make a very good point and you see him at the Suns are and word is they have a Bad Culture at the Suns
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Very Happy didn't Guy McKenna hand us Elliot? Absolute ripper of a deal!!
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 pm

I think Bluey was stiff and Ablett got him removed. I have not been a particular fan of Eade either I must add.

Culture issues have persisted for a while at GC. In fairness to Caroline Wilson, she makes a good point.
Ablett does what he wants, Campbell Brown was loose, Nathan Bock had a history of problems. Hunt was obviously problematic too and he had taken Bennell under his wing....to name a few

Their problems have preceded Eade's reign. Don't think he was the Pies problem either. I think players like Swan, Wellingham, Jonno, Dids, Heater etc were mucking up long before Eade got to the club and Bucks et alia has tried to rein them in.

As for whether he is a capable contemporary coach, that's another issue.

But welcome Gordo

Last edited by Albert Parker on Wed May 06, 2015 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Golden Gordon Libra

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:35 pm

Tannin wrote:

An interesting idea, but I'd turn it around. Guy McKenna always struck me as an extraordinarily capable man. Gold Coast's problem isn't that they unwisely appointed Eade, it is that they stupidly sacked the best coach they could have hoped for. You'd think that McKenna will be snapped up pronto by some desperately unsuccessful club later on this year. Please, make it not be Carlton!

Thanks. I agree Guy McKenna got a bad rap and it is a pity he didn't get the opportunity to see his job through. But Eade never really had a great game plan at the Swans or the Dogs. Most of all he is famous for giving footy one of the worst things to ever blight it: The flood!

The flip side of this thread is a mighty big pat on the back to Nathan Buckley.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:50 pm

We have seen how bad they are up on the Gold Coast. With Lack of Effort from players on the field and now word coming thru that they might not have the best Culture up there with Players going out Drinking after the Game.

We all saw when Bucks took over we had 3 Years of Going Backwards. Rocket took over from MM and things went backwards from then. Players Leaving and Reports of some Poor Pre-Seasons when Eade was There.

Lot of Positive Changes came when we got Balme back at the Club

So was Rocket big part of the Problem from last 3 Years?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:52 pm

McKenna gave us Elliot?????
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:55 pm

It was Sheedy who gave us Elliot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Elliott_(footballer_born_1992)

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:14 am

All we are seeing is the natural development of players with more understanding of Buckley's game-plan and expectations. Injuries cruelled our chances last year and so far this season we're in pretty good shape and the results are coming our way.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:02 am

Dave The Man wrote:
It was Sheedy who gave us Elliot:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Elliott_(footballer_born_1992)

Sorry guys Got the Gold coast confused with GWS!
Greening gold 

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:21 am

Albert Parker wrote:
I think Bluey was stiff and Ablett got him removed. I have not been a particular fan of Eade either I must add.

Culture issues have persisted for a while at GC. In fairness to Caroline Wilson, she makes a good point.
Ablett does what he wants, Campbell Brown was loose, Nathan Bock had a history of problems. Hunt was obviously problematic too and he had taken Bennell under his wing....to name a few

Their problems have preceded Eade's reign. Don't think he was the Pies problem either. I think players like Swan, Wellingham, Jonno, Dids, Heater etc were mucking up long before Eade got to the club and Bucks et alia has tried to rein them in.

As for whether he is a capable contemporary coach, that's another issue.
But welcome Gordo

Thank you so much for using the correct spelling of rein. We may be the last two in the world who know this.

On another matter, I heard on the telly at the weekend the name of the excellent young player we got as part of the Wellingham deal - can't remember who it was but I can remember saying "hallelujah"

Greening gold 

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:23 am

Golden Gordon wrote:
Tannin wrote:

Thanks. I agree Guy McKenna got a bad rap and it is a pity he didn't get the opportunity to see his job through. But Eade never really had a great game plan at the Swans or the Dogs. Most of all he is famous for giving footy one of the worst things to ever blight it: The flood!

I thought the flood was the idea of Terry "Noah" Wallace.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:59 am

Greening gold wrote:
Golden Gordon wrote:
Tannin wrote:

I thought the flood was the idea of Terry "Noah" Wallace.

i thought the flood predates wallace and was sheedy's idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: