Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#27, #7 Ben Kennedy

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

He simply is not going to get any game time with the pies. We used him to facilitate the movement of players to bring in a player who will almost certainly be in our best 22 (I like his chances of beating White out for the third tall forward role).

He is a player capable of having an AFL career for a team not as blessed with talented mids as we are (or at least he has an outstanding shot at being a quality depth player for such a team). Collingwood facilitated a trade to allow him to earn a living.

It doesn't really matter what he is worth or what we got for him.

Its a win-win for player and club that this happened.

I wish him well. Just like I have enjoyed Stanley's modest career at GC Suns, I will similarly hope that Kennedy has a good career at Melbourne (and pray her doesn't save his best game for us).

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:31 am

In many ways, yes. In other ways, no.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:47 am

E wrote:
He simply is not going to get any game time with the pies. We used him to facilitate the movement of players to bring in a player who will almost certainly be in our best 22 (I like his chances of beating White out for the third tall forward role).

He is a player capable of having an AFL career for a team not as blessed with talented mids as we are (or at least he has an outstanding shot at being a quality depth player for such a team). Collingwood facilitated a trade to allow him to earn a living.

It doesn't really matter what he is worth or what we got for him.

Its a win-win for player and club that this happened.

I wish him well. Just like I have enjoyed Stanley's modest career at GC Suns, I will similarly hope that Kennedy has a good career at Melbourne (and pray her doesn't save his best game for us).

You nailed it, Mr E. Kennedy always was a weird selection at #19. I thought so then and nothing has changed my mind since. At, say, Pick 42, you'd reckon Kennedy was a decent pick-up. He's a player who could be and will be a decent mid/forward and will very likely play 150 games as a good ordinary player in a good ordinary side.

But to do that he needs solid game-time; he needs to start in the mix and play every week for half a season, maybe a full season. He could turn out to be a major possession winner (albeit one who sprays it around and frustrates as often as he thrills). And he was never going to get that consistent game time at Collingwood. You have to select your best 22 every week, and although we have our problems, we have too many good mids and forwards to find a spot for Kennedy every week. He is exactly like Danny Stanley: he needs to go to a weaker club, get that senior experience, and then he'll be a genuine AFL standard player. For us though, it wasn't happening. You couldn't leave out youngsters like Broomhead and Adams and De Goey just to give a lesser talent a turn, not every week.

Good luck to him at his new club. He has done his best for Collingwood and hasn't shafted us on the way out, I'll watch his career with interest, just as I have with others who did their bit for this team, then moved on elsewhere. I'll be happy to see him progress, exactly as I like to see good games from Wellingham, the Shaws, Harry and Dawsey at Melbourne, and so on.

Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:04 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:
I'm a big fan of Ben Ken and think we will all rue the day if we let him go. Not happy Jan.

Is it his height, decision making or kicking that makes you feel this way?

Seriously, I watched plenty of VFL football this year and he still couldn't dominate a game due to his limitations.

I wish him well at Melbourne, but he had to be moved on...

To be truthful, it was his performances before this season that I liked him for. This season he was neither here nor there, but I had thought that may well swing back in his favour with another year and not being sub all the time. As far as this deal goes - I am very happy to get Howe, and hope that 68 can be used constructively in getting us Aish / Treloar or just landing a champion late pick like Swanny.

Thanks BK for your service, your attitude, and your great nature. I'm sure you'll be missed around the club.

^ and nice post Tannin lyw

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:11 am

Luke Ball made a comment on TR this am about BK having to work on his endurance.

Fits in with the sub thing.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:56 am

Kennedy is a battler who is heading to a team that is battling.
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:44 am

I have got a French dictionary that is worth $20. I can't/don't use it because of whatever. So you can have it for $2.
Thank you and good bye.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:56 am

The annoying thing only was that ben Kennedy was contracted, Howe wanted out and the Dees rated him highly previously and now, yet we failed to leverage that "supply & demand" thing.

Think about this: If Seedsman picked the Suns we would have received pick 19 or 21, yet he picks Crows whom have 28 & 32 and we yield to 32. To combine that with BK who really has gone for "pick 68" despite Hine's protestations, we have really lost on the overall.

With the Freeman (future pick) and our current 26 making up the Aish trade, we shall hope, bloody hope that the Treloar trade shall send back to the Pies pick 20 or 21 they get via Carlton.

Summary:

feel we have lost a second round pick overall.

magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:09 am

inxs88 wrote:
The annoying thing only was that ben Kennedy was contracted, Howe wanted out and the Dees rated him highly previously and now, yet we failed to leverage that "supply & demand" thing.

Think about this: If Seedsman picked the Suns we would have received pick 19 or 21, yet he picks Crows whom have 28 & 32 and we yield to 32. To combine that with BK who really has gone for "pick 68" despite Hine's protestations, we have really lost on the overall.

With the Freeman (future pick) and our current 26 making up the Aish trade, we shall hope, bloody hope that the Treloar trade shall send back to the Pies pick 20 or 21 they get via Carlton.

Summary:

If we end up with pick 20 or 21 it woiuld be a nice way to round out proceedings + Aish and Treloar.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:10 pm

Pick 61 for Kennedy, yet watch us pay through the nose to get Aish. Higher draft pick I know, but still didn't establish himself in the seniors much like BK.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:15 pm

inxs88 wrote:

Summary:

Kennedy wasn't traded for 68. If that was the case we would have traded pick 32 directly for Howe.

Positioning of these late picks are a small matter, even smaller this year apparently in a shallow draft. In the end we got the player we wanted, got rid of one we didn't rate (Kennedy) and received a decent deal for one who wanted out (Seedsman).

Kennedy was not worth anything close to a second round pick. Seedsman was and that's what we got (we were no certainty of getting 19 or 21 from the Suns). To get Howe we needed to package Kennedy because his value is higher than Seedsman's. There's really nothing wrong with this deal.

Domesticated_Ape Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:34 pm

It all depends on how Howe plays over the next 5 years compared to Seedsman and and Kennedy. That will be what tells us who won out of this deal.

Important to judge our trade period as a whole too. If we end up getting Treloar and Aish as well as keeping pick 21, then I'll pretty quickly forget about giving BK up cheaply because overall, that would be a good result.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:30 am

Domesticated_Ape wrote:
It all depends on how Howe plays over the next 5 years compared to Seedsman and and Kennedy. That will be what tells us who won out of this deal.

Important to judge our trade period as a whole too. If we end up getting Treloar and Aish as well as keeping pick 21, then I'll pretty quickly forget about giving BK up cheaply because overall, that would be a good result.

I'm actually hoping that a fresh start will be just the tonic for BK & the Seed to re-ignite their careers. Liked them both and was sad to see them depart. Either way, impossible to tell if they would have been able to do that at the Pies so any assessment of the success or otherwise of these trades is very subjective.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:41 am

jackcass wrote:
I'm actually hoping that a fresh start will be just the tonic for BK & the Seed to re-ignite their careers. Liked them both and was sad to see them depart. Either way, impossible to tell if they would have been able to do that at the Pies so any assessment of the success or otherwise of these trades is very subjective.

I'm actually hoping that a fresh start will be just the tonic for Howe to re-ignite his career. Hopefully we will get the best out of him. Time will tell.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16   

Jump to: