Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2013 National draft a disaster?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:02 am
Post subject: 2013 National draft a disaster?Reply with quote

The first round for us anyway...

If I'm not mistaken, shaz and freeman are he only two draftees in the top 30! from that year That are yet to play a game. Shaz is now rumoured to be going back to Adelaide and even if he stays, with the emergence of Langdon, oxley, Maynard and seedsman, he doesn't exactly suit our needs atm.

Likewise with freeman, constant niggles and hamstring problems - as well as question marks over his footballing ability - have cast a shadow over his ability to make it, and with Adams flying, crisp stepping up, treloar due in and JDG showing so much, is there even room for him in our midfield?

Now hindsight is a wonderful thing, but if we hadve ended up with McCarthy and Cripps instead, we would've solved our forward line issue and landed a big bodied utility / mid that can seemingly play anywhere. Now THAT would have put us in serious contention for a flag in a year or two.

Decker has certainly had more hits than misses, especially at the lower end of the draft, but shaz and freeman have a v long way to go for these two picks to not be considered a stain on his reputation.
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that Tom Langdon kid is just no good.

Jonathan Marsh is a shocker too.

Adam Oxley is terrible too.

Embarassed
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:29 am

You can hardly blame Hine that Freeman tore his hamstring badly.

You can argue we could have gone another way with type of player drafted but he obviously thought Freeman was the best fit for the list at the time.

If we can get him right physically he might still end up being proven correct with this selection.

Scharenberg had his foot issue but plenty of players have had injury concerns prior to being drafted and gone on to have stellar careers.

Judd and Selwood instantly come to mind.

Scharenberg doing his knee was most unfortunate but I'm sure Melbourne feel the same about Petracca.

It's rotten luck rather than rotten recruiting that we're yet to see these two debut at AFL level nearly two years down the track.

The flip side of course is that come next year that should change, we will be adding two top 10 picks to the mix hopefully alongside Treloar, it'll be like Christmas and even if Scharenberg were to request a trade I'm confident we'll get something good in return.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:31 am

Unfortunately like most things in life it is a gamble. You can spend a fortune of a thoroughbred racehorse that has all the breeding and looks the part and never gets to race whereas you can pickup a cheapy, train him well and see him winning group A races.

You really could not have forecast Shazza doing a knee and Freeman having repetitive soft tissue injuries and no one is to blame.

Hopefully we will retain both and they go on to prove their value and ability going forward.

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:34 am

A stain on his reputation is a bit harsh, particularly for two guys who haven't really had a good run at it yet. Even if they turn out to be flops (which I doubt) I'd say his strike rate is still probably among the best in the AFL.

I don't think we'll lose Scharenberg. The only way that I could see that happening is as part of some deal for Dangerfield who we're unlikely to be in the market for. When Mark Williams describes him as "the best schoolboy footballer he's seen since Wayne Carey" that's just too tantalising to pass up.

Buckley's not in any hurry to rush these guys into the side. He's building depth just like Hawthorn. Some of their players don't debut until they're 20-21, like Will Langford for example.

Be patient, as I think Scharenberg may get his chance this season. Hopefully Freeman can get his body right. If you remember Chris Judd had chronic shoulder problems and managed to play a full career and even Joel Selwood had recruiters concerned about his knee issues which is why he slipped to seventh. Don't be alarmed. Let's hope we're saving the best for last Very Happy
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:36 am

swoop42 wrote:

You can argue we could have gone another way with type of player drafted but he obviously thought Freeman was the best fit for the list at the time.

If we can get him right physically he might still end up being proven correct with this selection.

Scharenberg had his foot issue but plenty of players have had injury concerns prior to being drafted and gone on to have stellar careers.

Judd and Selwood instantly come to mind.

Scharenberg doing his knee was most unfortunate but I'm sure Melbourne feel the same about Petracca.

It's rotten luck rather than rotten recruiting that we're yet to see these two debut at AFL level nearly two years down the track.

The flip side of course is that come next year that should change, we will be adding two top 10 picks to the mix hopefully alongside Treloar, it'll be like Christmas and even if Scharenberg were to request a trade I'm confident we'll get something good in return.

Sorry Swoop, I was typing my reply as you posted yours and therefore I made myself redundant by echoing everything you said Very Happy
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:38 am

It's good to see this thread started again this week. So much has changed since last week, when picks 6 and 10 didn't debut.

But, really, would any of us be capable of picking this up if it wasn't said every week?

In other revelations, it is possible that Travis will struggle to kick straight in a future game.
piester 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:43 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
It's good to see this thread started again this week. So much has changed since last week, when picks 6 and 10 didn't debut.

But, really, would any of us be capable of picking this up if it wasn't said every week?

In other revelations, it is possible that Travis will struggle to kick straight in a future game.

I think perhaps we should create a daily thread devoted to this or perhaps we will find out that neither Scharenberg or Freeman can kick accurately and we can combine the numerous poor kicking threads and this one.

I hope these two kids serve up humble pie to all the doubters.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:02 pm

Clearly time to throw some Leonard Cohen onto the stereo and crank it to 11, grab the blades and run a nice hot bath...
perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:02 pm

Wow. Lots of humble pie to be eaten over our 2013 draftees by this time next year. Especially when this kid who hasn't played yet will be considered our best future player behind the centre of the ground. As for the other kid who is the best power, footballer on the list besides maybe Swanny, let's just wait for more humble pie. It's the Nicks way.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:17 pm

No comment!
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:20 pm

Been 2 Years. Way to Early to call it yet.

Had no Luck with Injuries with Freeman and Scharangberg.

but

Langdon has played just about every AFL Game since he been Drafted

Marsh looks very promising as a Defender in the VFL

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:22 pm

swoop42 wrote:

We do need a Midfielder with Genuine Pace as that is something it does lack and that what Freeman can Potentially give the Midfield

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:34 pm

If Freeman has genuine pace - he is required in our mid mix as Dave suggested and if Shaza has elite skills (or potential) as some have noted then he would be very handy down back where some polish is required to join the grunters Wink

They have had a shocking run clearly - and have been left behind by their peers and are now overtaken by the guys a year younger so hopefully they are able to break into the team by 2017 or even later this year in Shaza's case for a taste of the big time. If they are quality we should be a little more patient and that quality will come through.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:40 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
If Freeman has genuine pace - he is required in our mid mix as Dave suggested and if Shaza has elite skills (or potential) as some have noted then he would be very handy down back where some polish is required to join the grunters Wink

They have had a shocking run clearly - and have been left behind by their peers and are now overtaken by the guys a year younger so hopefully they are able to break into the team by 2017 or even later this year in Shaza's case for a taste of the big time. If they are quality we should be a little more patient and that quality will come through.

2017??? Surely you meant 2016?

If they can't break into the team some time next year (assuming they're both still on our list), then it will have been a disastrous waste of 2 top 10 picks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: