Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Luke Hodge DUI

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

No. It's a reputational issue for the competition - he should be summarily dismissed.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:20 pm

Does the AFL have a reputation for only permitting individuals of the highest moral calibre to compete? Should it?
mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:53 pm

think positive wrote:
And don't forget they allow margin for error

No they don't. It's not speeding.

But just like speeding there are levels of punishment for drink driving. His wasn't even enough for him to lose his license in the eyes of the law. Why anyone should expect his employer to punish him further than the $450 fine and 10 demerit points the law did is ridiculous.

#SIDEBYSIDE
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:01 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
You're seriously comparing this to Heath Shaw? Give me a break.

Betting on the outcome of a game you're playing in is not even close to being in the same category as drink-driving. One is decidedly a matter for a football league to deal with; the other is decidedly not. Even when Heath Shaw did drink-drive (he's done it all, hasn't he!), he got a 2-match ban from the club*, not the league. So you couldn't possibly use a more irrelevant comparison if you tried.

*If I recall correctly, it only got extended to the rest of the season when it emerged that he had lied to the club about Didak being in the car.

Do you even bother reading the whole post before you slag it off?

Where did I mention the betting thing?

Where did I suggest the LEAGUE step in?

He may not be three times the limit like shaw was, but .068 is not 'just a little over" it's a lot over. And don't forget they allow margin for error, so he more than likely over .07. Also don't forget, he is suspended for a stupid nasty on field incident, he should have got more for, also don't forget he's the captain of the club, also don't forget it's finals next week, and while we are on it, he's 31, way past the stupid kid excuse. Not to mention one of his coaches sons was killed less than a month ago in a car crash caused by alcohol and other drugs.

I know you think everyone should be excused for breaking the law, after all, nobody got hurt, no free will and all that, Would you like to share your sympathy with my friend Robyn, the mother who's son Darren was killed by a drunk driver 15 years ago when he was just 17? The pain is still raw in her eyes. You never forget watching the casket go int o the ground.

Didn't think he was over? Didn't think he had drunk that much? Only 3 or 4 drinks? That's what everyone who gets caught says.

And that's what every one who doesn't get caught says, when they are looking in horror at the mangled bodies of the lives they have just cut short with their utter selfishness.

Cheers, hic

Absolutely nothing you just wrote has any relevance to what I posted.

He broke the law. Let the law deal with it. End of.

where is the relevance to what you wrote to what you quoted me on?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:03 am

So he is a Drunk as well as a Thug
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:04 am

Sorry, that was a comprehension error on my part - because P4S had already mentioned Heath Shaw's betting suspension, I thought you were referring to it as well. So, consider it a response to P4S.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:05 am

Rexy17 wrote:
The so called "Family Club" have missed the mark on this. Had a chance to make a huge statement, but just put their head in the sand. This after one of the family was killed recently.

yep

for the rest of ya, yeah ok, lets make it a free for all. they can get smashed, and then smash, no questions asked, you going to take the sponsors to court when they walk away in droves? then who is going to pay these arrogant tossers to kick a ball? wait they may have to get a real job! a little drugs here and there, a little bit over, its all good, dont worry about the poor innocent sods that get hurt in the process, as long as we all get to do what the hell we please.

no worries, but ill tell you something else, keep your spoilt brat feral £$%$er kids away from mine, cos ill eat em for breakfast.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:06 am

Dave The Man wrote:
So he is a Drunk as well as a Thug

yep

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:19 am

think positive wrote:
Rexy17 wrote:
The so called "Family Club" have missed the mark on this. Had a chance to make a huge statement, but just put their head in the sand. This after one of the family was killed recently.

yep

for the rest of ya, yeah ok, lets make it a free for all. they can get smashed, and then smash, no questions asked, you going to take the sponsors to court when they walk away in droves? then who is going to pay these arrogant tossers to kick a ball? wait they may have to get a real job! a little drugs here and there, a little bit over, its all good, dont worry about the poor innocent sods that get hurt in the process, as long as we all get to do what the hell we please.

no worries, but ill tell you something else, keep your spoilt brat feral £$%$er kids away from mine, cos ill eat em for breakfast.

You constantly paint us as raging hedonists, which is a completely ridiculous misunderstanding of our position. All most of us are asking for is for a proper separation of powers - for footballing authorities to run a sporting competition and leave the policing of social issues to the legal system.

That shouldn't be a radical position. I blame the tabloids and shock jocks for feeding our society's desire to shame and punish even after proper reparations have been paid.

Ever heard of the phrase "do the crime, do the time"? I support that. I don't support "do the crime, do the time plus some other arbitrary punishments from anyone who has the power to hand them out". It makes a mockery of our justice system and gives certain powers to people who have no capacity or expertise to properly wield it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Rexy17 wrote:

yep

You constantly paint us as raging hedonists, which is a completely ridiculous misunderstanding of our position. All most of us are asking for is for a proper separation of powers - for footballing authorities to run a sporting competition and leave the policing of social issues to the legal system.

That shouldn't be a radical position. I blame the tabloids and shock jocks for feeding our society's desire to shame and punish even after proper reparations have been paid.

Ever heard of the phrase "do the crime, do the time"? I support that. I don't support "do the crime, do the time plus some other arbitrary punishments from anyone who has the power to hand them out". It makes a mockery of our justice system and gives certain powers to people who have no capacity or expertise to properly wield it.

and id agree if the system was harsher on crime!!

(ps sorry, grumpy, been cleaning and $£$%^%%$ cooking all day for hubbys family tomorrow, fathers day and three $£$%^%%$ birthdays! ugh) and now im doing invoices, and i havent had a drink for 6 days, and id kill for 1 now!!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:21 am

It's simple if it was mid season the Hawks would have given him a week or 2 as well. It's finals next week they are side who's form is patchy recently and they need all hands on deck what other outcome would you expect.
If I was Brett Ratton I would be pissed at Hodge
I expect nothing less of them
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:53 am

$5k fine from the hawks.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:11 pm

John Wren wrote:
$5k fine from the hawks.

So beer money.

How about so,e counciling, school visits etc?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:01 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Rexy17 wrote:

yep

It seems to me to be a complete failure of vision and integrity on the part of the organizers of the competition.

These guys aren't "employees" in the usual sense - they get paid significant sums because of their sporting prowess and their marketability. Furthermore, their "pay" and the marketability of the competition as a whole are intrinsically connected. Is a person who does this sort of thing a "fit and proper person" to lead a team in our great game? I think not.

Let me know, of course, if Pendles is caught drink-driving, so that I can argue the contrary case.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:23 pm

This is a real problem with the way the game is marketed. The idea that team captains must be exemplary human beings is a bizarre authoritarian fantasy – the real measurement is on-field leadership, playing ability and rudimentary media skills.

I think the biggest fantasy here is that people even care about players' off-field behaviour. Most tabloid scandal stories exist within a fishbowl: some triviality is seized upon, Michael Carr-Gregg or the Australian Family Association provide the requisite quote and people bang on about it on Twitter for four hours until they move on to the next irrelevancy. Football fans by and large don't care if Scott Pendlebury cheats on his wife or if Alan Toovey gets into a fist fight on King Street, because, while most football fans may be voyeurs and bored junk-consumers, they generally aren't uptight prudes.

It's a dynamic that prioritises media profits over young men's freedom and privacy. I don't know how that paradigm can be broken, but I think it would help if intelligent people called it out for what it is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: