Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Gun laws in USA??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Utter fruitcakery.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:30 am

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
depends on which state
pretty sure you are allowed uzi and assault rifles in Texas
you can even get full auto versions with a little extra paperwork

Yes, you can buy semi-automatic Uzi but not assault rifles. An assault rifle is technically one that allows you to switch between fully automatic, semi-auto or selective fire. You can't buy these in the US. The media love to talk about the assault rifle AR-15. The AR actually stands for Armalite Rifle, not assault rifle. This is a semi-auto rifle not capable or continuous fire when the trigger is depressed.

The NFA 1934 and FOPA Act of 1986 banned the sale to civilians of machine guns restricting sales of these weapons to the military and law enforcement. Yes, you can apply to buy a fully automatic rifle, but it is highly regulated and takes considerable time. Fully auto guns isn't the problem in the USA.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:11 am

You know a scary amount about guns
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:52 am

think positive wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Lazza wrote:
The biggest problem is that the NRA will “go to war” if they ban guns. They have donated funds to the republicans party for years and the party will just about fall apart without this I’ll(mainly right wing) support. So it has also been a political problem as well as a security problem. I have always thought that the perfect time to take action against guns was after the Sandy Hook shootings of little kids. That they couldn’t do it then showed just how powerful the US gun lobby is. Sadly it’s a monumental problem that won’t go away.

The National Rifle Association is pleased to announce that former President Donald Trump will headline a star-studded cast of political heavyweights at the NRA Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA) Leadership Forum on Friday, May 27, at the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston.

Hmm, a little vengeance could be justice

"Permission to go Paddock mode, sir"

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:20 pm

Granted and you won’t have any resistance! Trump has requested no firearms!
You could not make this shit up! What is he afraid of!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:49 pm

no words left!

https://7news.com.au/news/world/student-arrested-in-texas-after-walking-to-school-with-assault-rifle-just-one-day-after-tragic-uvalde-shooting-c-6939956

'A teacher at the school, who identifies herself on Twitter as Ms T, she said her class were forced to sit in the dark for about an hour while she attempted to obstruct the door.

“My kids were sitting in the dark and some were crying for about one hour while I was barricading the door with whatever desk/chair I had, telling the kids ‘It’s okay, everything’s going to be OK’. but the truth is ... I didn’t even know if it was going to be OK,” she said.

“My kids were visibly upset. One of my bigger students (an athlete) looked at me and said ‘I’m going to be honest Ms T, that was one of the most traumatising moments of my life.’

“Despite being 15-16, they’re still children, and they did NOT deserve to go through all of that.”

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:17 pm

I stand to be corrected but I think I read somewhere that Americans can go over the border to Mexico and buy whatever gun they want and smuggle it in. So banning guns as such won’t work unless they search each vehicle coming into the States. Therefore a complete solution is nigh on impossible.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:04 pm

Why even bother policing the border when you can buy practically any gun you like in a department store?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:10 pm

Lazza wrote:
I stand to be corrected but I think I read somewhere that Americans can go over the border to Mexico and buy whatever gun they want and smuggle it in. So banning guns as such won’t work unless they search each vehicle coming into the States. Therefore a complete solution is nigh on impossible.

They do search vehicles. It's a full on customs thing. I walked over the border from Mexico to Texas, had to produce my passport and they checked I had the right Visa, emptied the pockets, walk through the metal detector, the whole lot. Cars were queued up to get back in and they were popping the boot and checking.

Now if it's just one rifle or gun and you're prepared to take a risk you could try to hide it under the seat or something and probably get away with it.

What'sinaname wrote:

No one is allowed M16’s or Uzi’s

Yeah, my bad, I was a little OTT, I was thinking of the AR15 which is basically the civilian version of an M16 but had a brain fade.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:53 pm

Oof:

https://twitter.com/rocam54/status/1528782308899274752

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:03 pm

Lazza wrote:

Thought I'd circle back to this.

According to this article, the Gun trade is one way, from the US to Mexico.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/26/world/us-gun-culture-world-comparison-intl-cmd/index.html

Mexico apparently only has one gun shop in the entire country and it's run by the army.

Quote:
About 200,000 firearms from America cross Mexico's border every year, according to a February 2021 US government accountability office report, citing the Mexican government.
In 2019, about 68% of firearms seized by law enforcement in Mexico and sent to the ATF for identification were traced back to the US

I wrote earlier about how crossing from Mexico to the USA was literally going through customs. On the flipside, walking over the border from El Paso to Juarez there were zero controls. Nada. Ninguno. Zilch.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:07 pm

David wrote:
Oof:

Oof indeed, but nothing will change until people's attitudes do. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/25/politics/republicans-gun-control-uvalde/index.html

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:20 pm

think positive wrote:
You know a scary amount about guns

Not really. I just took an interest in the 2nd amendment and America's fascination with it while I was bored during COVID lockdown to try to understand both sides of the argument.

Like most people, I initially thought AR-15 was an assault rifle, which the media have you believe.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
Oof:

Oof indeed, but nothing will change until people's attitudes do. https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/25/politics/republicans-gun-control-uvalde/index.html

I'd be shocked if there was tighter gun control. The best that can be hoped for is background checks and red flag laws. But that creates a whole range of problems such as who decides if someone is mentally unfit to purchase a gun? COVID has led to a massive distrust of the medical profession with Doctors accused of carrying out the wishes of a corrupt Government.

Social media continue to get a free pass here. Facts are, that most of these really traumatic shootings are telegraphed on social media.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:52 pm

Absolutely tragic and heartbreaking.But sadly,not surpriseing ,as it’s happened so many times before.What can you do about a nation of people who seem to value gun ownership more than the lives of children?Just pathetic.The U.S.is rapidLy becoming a failed state because of the extremism of many of its people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 41 of 48   

Jump to: