Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Concern for the state of AFL.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:27 am
Post subject: Concern for the state of AFL.Reply with quote

I am taking a more holistic look at the situation, and like many, i thought the players at worst would be looking at a 6 month ban. The one thing i will say is that while perhaps in the light of day the punishment fits the crime and one year is fair. What is done is done, the Bombers for there part have to take there medicine and move on.

One issue i take from the whole WADA/ASADA situation is that it seems that if you fight your case you get crushed. Where as if you do a secret backroom deal with ASADA (ah la The NRL and the Sharks) you get a wrist slap and a 3 match ban? this hardly seems fair, don't think for a moment that i am suggest that Essendon got unfairly done by. But i think for consistency where was the coaching bans, two year bans for players, and fines handed to the Sharks?...in a Democratic system you have the right to fight your case right, wrong or indifferent.

I will say this straight off the bat, and many on here may disagree. I want to see Essendon get back on there feet as soon as possible and all clubs learn the lessons from this sorry saga.

Why? you may well all be asking, and it is that i have no love for the Bombers as a club. I am worried for the state of the code. What happens if Essendon sinks into the mire that Carlton fell into? what happens to ANZAC day as spectacle? And indeed what happens to the code? we may well start to fall behind the A-league and even the NRL as a preeminent sporting code and become a third or forth chose sport for kids at school.

Like i say, i am not soppy for the club or indeed the players. But i would like to see the AFL re-attain it status as Australia's premier code I feel that with recent events in general be it controversy and constant rule changes that crown has been slipping.

Feel free to post you opinions. I means this thread more as a discussion starter then a argument.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:46 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it is on the best interest of all concerned for Essendon to get back on their feets as soon as possible. THey are an important club to the AFL and they add history and good support.

Hopefully all concerned from learn from this sage.

Hopefully the AFL from an administration perspective can take a good look at itself. The AFL in my opinion have been far too manipulative to be considered a good administrator and caretaker of the code as a whole. I think that Andrew Demetriou has a lot to answer for in this area and Gil seems to be doing a better job. To be effective the AFL need to hold themselves to the highest standards and be impartial and balanced in their approach. Areas that should be affected by this are the cola payments, salary cap manipulation, drafting manipulation, the distribution of funds, the taxing of the larger clubs, umpiring and the way the tribunal operates.

I do not think that Essendon were the only club playing it loose in respect to marginal supplements. Clubs need to be more accountable and more responsible in their approach. I think that most clubs are a long way down this path and that things have improved.

Lastly, the players need to take a lot more personal responsibility for their actions. This is professional sport and not a boys club. They need to ensure that they are fully informed of the rules and regulations and ensure that they do not transgress irrespective of where the pressure is coming from.

Hopfully the sport as a whole can learn from this experience and I belive that if they do they will gain more support.

derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:57 am

Great post, i will agree with that point above. I am sure other teams were following the same path.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:43 pm

**** Essendon they are drug cheats
I want to see them on the bottom for years to teach the club and its supporters not to cheat.
It is also an example for every other club
Carlscum got caught cheating the salary cap and only now is their culture fully changing.

To help them will require financial support so get caught doping get money
Dont cheat pay more in taxes to the AFL

As for the AFL itself integrity and honesty come a very distant second to money

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:06 pm

The point about taking a backroom deal offered by ASADA and getting off reasonably lightly, or going the full monty and getting a savage thrashing from WADA is well observed.

Could it be that during all of this saga there have been elements within the federal government (both politicians and in the public service bureaucracy), ASADA, the AFL , Essendon FC, and the media (particularly the ABC, but other outlets as well) had a common interest in getting this mess sorted as quickly as possible, and avoiding the matter being scrutinised in an independent overseas court?

The problem has always been these ‘elements’ have not been able to agree on who takes all the blame. It was Dank who dunit! No, it was Hird! etc. etc.

But why the unity of intent? Could it be that Dank’s influence has in years past extended as far as other Australian international athletes? Could it be that the Fed Govt has turned a blind eye to his operations in the quest for national, and political, glory. Could it be that the AFL and Essendon know this and have used it as leverage against ASADA and its Fed Govt. master? And could this be why Dank, who knows what’s gone on better than anyone, remained untouched until all was lost and the EFC player doping charges were sent to CAS? A

There is to be a Senate enquiry into ASADA to take place. Hopefully we all might get at least a glimpse of the real machinations that have been churning away below the surface all these years.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:08 pm

Not Really. AFL and the Peptide Bummers look like a Joke Now.

Collingwood is fine and we showed how that should of been Handled

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:53 pm

I feel the biggest effect this could have on footy is an eventual, quiet apathy that will affect crowds and interest. Maybe its already happening. The AFL is so artificial and they manipulate and do back room deals. It feels so plastic at times and contrived. They need to butt out and just apply the rules evenly.
Cleomenes 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:12 pm

I like the general tenor of the comments here, especially those that look at the sport's future over all.
The general contempt in which the AFL administration is held should be a lesson to the people working there, but I suspect that they operate like politicians, in a tower oblivious to the true situation, as sycophants provide them with their information and massage away any concerns.
Still, Soccer has gone from strength to strength with the most corrupt administration on Earth, so I suppose the AFL collectively thinks that hey can do it too.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:20 pm

AFL tried to sweep this under the carpet with its little staged Kangaroo Court. the AFL are a disgusting organization who are only motivated by money. The ALFPA is just as big of a joke who care not about player welfare, only money.

The whole administration should be stood down.

Players and the club cheated. AFL chose to ignore the integrity of the game and if the 600 innocent players to protect 36 cheating campaigners.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:22 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
AFL tried to sweep this under the carpet with its little staged Kangaroo Court. the AFL are a disgusting organization who are only motivated by money. The ALFPA is just as big of a joke who care not about player welfare, only money.

The whole administration should be stood down.

Players and the club cheated. AFL chose to ignore the integrity of the game and if the 600 innocent players to protect 36 cheating campaigners.

I would not Blame Teams want to Start a Rival League to get away from the Joke that is the AFL

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:26 pm

Dave, all. The clubs are to scared of the AFL as are all but two journos.

Caro was proven right in all of this while those with their tongues up the AFL's bunghole have been proven to be sleazy little weasels.

scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:49 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

Caro was proven right in all of this while those with their tongues up the AFL's bunghole have been proven to be sleazy little weasels.

Damien Barrett hasn't done a bad job.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:35 pm
Post subject: Re: Concern for the state of AFL.Reply with quote

derkd wrote:
I am taking a more holistic look at the situation, and like many, i thought the players at worst would be looking at a 6 month ban. The one thing i will say is that while perhaps in the light of day the punishment fits the crime and one year is fair. What is done is done, the Bombers for there part have to take there medicine and move on.

One issue i take from the whole WADA/ASADA situation is that it seems that if you fight your case you get crushed. Where as if you do a secret backroom deal with ASADA (ah la The NRL and the Sharks) you get a wrist slap and a 3 match ban? this hardly seems fair, don't think for a moment that i am suggest that Essendon got unfairly done by. But i think for consistency where was the coaching bans, two year bans for players, and fines handed to the Sharks?...in a Democratic system you have the right to fight your case right, wrong or indifferent.

I will say this straight off the bat, and many on here may disagree. I want to see Essendon get back on there feet as soon as possible and all clubs learn the lessons from this sorry saga.

Why? you may well all be asking, and it is that i have no love for the Bombers as a club. I am worried for the state of the code. What happens if Essendon sinks into the mire that Carlton fell into? what happens to ANZAC day as spectacle? And indeed what happens to the code? we may well start to fall behind the A-league and even the NRL as a preeminent sporting code and become a third or forth chose sport for kids at school.

Like i say, i am not soppy for the club or indeed the players. But i would like to see the AFL re-attain it status as Australia's premier code I feel that with recent events in general be it controversy and constant rule changes that crown has been slipping.

Feel free to post you opinions. I means this thread more as a discussion starter then a argument.

Got to disagree with you there. In our legal 'democratic' system, an early guilty plea always results in a reduced sentence. The Bombers chose to hide their actions and to fight ASADA all the way. The Cronulla sharks fessed up straight away to their crimes and faced the music 3 yrs ago. Given the length of time and costs resulting from Hird and the bombers attempt at avoiding having to face up to their disgusting behaviour, they are lucky they didn't cop the full 2 yr ban.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Caroline Wilson is a happy lassy that's for sure.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:44 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

What makes you Think Eddie is Scared?

Though I think he be more Matese with them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: