Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cox to play 2nd ruck?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brett71 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:47 pm
Post subject: Cox to play 2nd ruck?Reply with quote

Has anybody been watching Cox in the pre season? Article in the Age today saying Cox has been massive and may play 3rd tall and ruck superceding Witts to the seconds? Has he been training well enough to make this feasible?
cityslick1 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting from The Age. Wonder if they're fishing for stories or have heard something genuine from inside the club.

I've been to training sessions and have shared similar thoughts. One session in particular mason was the most dominant around the ground ruckman, whilst Brodie dominated up forward. Witts also struggled to get involved, prompting me to table the thought of the combination.

With Brodie seemingly a lock for the no.1 spot, here are the Witts vs Cox comparisons (imo)...

Strength - Witts. Mason is still under developed for his height, & is behind Witts in wrestling / ground ruck duels.

Athleticism - Cox. Better leap, faster... more upside. Cox wins here.

Field kicking - Witts. Mason still adapting to kicking on the run, and to a leading target. Witts still susceptible here at times, but currently gets the nod.

General play - Cox. Admittedly hasn't done it in an AFL game yet, but he looks more effective around the ground to me. Racks up link up play possessions and reads the play well. Witts does this at times, but not enough.

Kicking for goal - Even. Neither perfect. Cox needs to show it in big games, but whilst he can still scuff them, has a better technique, looks more comfortable and looks to have a mental edge from 40+ metres.

Desire - even. Witts has more AFL type aggression from his longer involvement in the game, but Mason has ambition, equal willingness to push himself, and mental edge over Witts imo.

Smarts - Cox. V clever and mature boy. Think bucks loves this type of trait, so would be keen to get him involved in the starting 22 at some stage... on merit of course.

Up forward - TBC. This could be the clincher. Witts has a few runs on the board in the firsts, but has been less than effective in too many games. Doesn't do enough with his size and doesn't get in the right positions often enough. Cox has done it in the seconds, and shows promise here, but the defenders in the real stuff are a different proposition. NAB Cup will be interesting to see, where a breakout game from either player could be enough to get them a guernsey for round 1.

Personal opinion... Witts has age and experience on his side, but Mason still looks to have more potential. Witts could still push on to become a dominant ruckman one day, but is testing Bucks' patience, and needs to show more signs of progress... soon. Mason's smarts, athleticism and development upside makes him a v attractive prospect, but he'll also need to convert this into game day performances, to convince the coaching staff he's ready for AFL action. I currently don't have either in my best 22, but would love for one of them to grab a game by the scruff of the neck & demand a spot during the NAB Cup. I've no doubt Bucks would too...
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:13 am

If Cox played as a leading forward from the goal square, I can't see how any defender could legally spoil him.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:09 am

Going on what I saw last year i believe Cox will be a better forward than Witts. He is a better kick at goal in comparison to Witts.
But I think Witts has the edge around the ground.
It will be interesting to see what improvement Cox has made over the summer.

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Throw him into the NAB games and let's see what happens
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Be interesting to see what progress he's made in the off season. Might be a chance later in the year but a more likely option in 2017 I'd have thought.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:52 pm

stui magpie wrote:
If Cox played as a leading forward from the goal square, I can't see how any defender could legally spoil him.

For sure! Assuming the big Cox would be in front of course. Smile He would come off second best in any wrestling tactics at the moment anyway.

Really looking forward to the day when his height, athleticism and developing skills will put to the test in an AFL game.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:44 pm

thompsoc wrote:
Going on what I saw last year i believe Cox will be a better forward than Witts. He is a better kick at goal in comparison to Witts.

And Witts is better than Grundy so Cox must be almost Peter McKenna like as a forward

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Cox is a very good set shot for goal.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:24 pm

Witts is way ahead of Cox at present.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:24 pm

3.14159 wrote:
Cox is a very good set shot for goal.

So was Jack Anthony

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:39 pm

Its going to be a tough call touch wood, and White can not be completely ruled out.
Lets hope all are fit and available for the majority of the season.

I think the no.1 KPI will be 2nd efforts.
Key tackles at clearances, not letting defenders run around them.
Big Mumford style hits - intimidation, positive energy.
Big plays at big moments.
Shepherds, blocks - creating space for our mids.
Bringing the ball front and square consistently in marking contests.
Support support - talk talk.

You right - its really desire, smarts and quickness of mind.
I'm not thinking Brodie is a walk-up start but hoping he also brings all this and then he is.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:10 pm

^

Grundy provides all the grunt you said, Witts isn't bad at all but isn't as Agro as Grundy. Cox won't ever be an overly physical type but has amazing athleticism for his height so is better suited to being a tall leading forward and tap ruckman.

I could see us playing either Grundy or Witts as 1st ruck, depending on matchups and form, and Cox as 2nd ruck/3rd tall instead of White.

If he continues to develop, good problem to have and we still have Gault and the Bogan BBaller in reserve

thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:57 am

neil wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

And Witts is better than Grundy so Cox must be almost Peter McKenna like as a forward

What a profound comment.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:12 pm

thompsoc wrote:
neil wrote:
thompsoc wrote:

What a profound comment.

Or you have made the mistake many Collingwood supporters do of thinking someone who has never played senior football is better than a player who has.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: