Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Boring Good Friday

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:26 am

So the family can watch the footy... what a bonding session that is!
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:49 pm

Think of the players and officials. Do they wanna play good Friday?
That's the AFL's biggest issue with not playing it. We ask them to play on every other day.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:03 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
Think of the players and officials. Do they wanna play good Friday?
That's the AFL's biggest issue with not playing it. We ask them to play on every other day.

Hell, the Collingwood players have had nearly 7 months off
without playing a proper game. They have more holidays than teachers!
If you include Thursday then if you played over Easter you would get 1
game out of 5 days.
Plenty of time for the easter bunny.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:12 pm

having a game on good friday is only going to reduce the number of games on either the saturday or sunday. less becomes more strangely enough.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:26 pm

People on here have this strange belief that all Australians love sport and AFL. I used to think the same until I finished school and 'integrated' with the rest of society (i.e. university, professional work, etc.). Step into the real world ... more people than not couldn't give a rat's about the AFL. Oh, and find a hobby that doesn't necessarily involve sitting in front of the TV watching AFL. It's quite refreshing.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:51 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
People on here have this strange belief that all Australians love sport and AFL. I used to think the same until I finished school and 'integrated' with the rest of society (i.e. university, professional work, etc.). Step into the real world ... more people than not couldn't give a rat's about the AFL. Oh, and find a hobby that doesn't necessarily involve sitting in front of the TV watching AFL. It's quite refreshing.

If most people don't give a rats about AFL then there is no problem playing on Good Friday.
I am not telling anybody what to do on Good Friday, I am just saying if there is demand for a game on Friday then let it rip, and if there isn't then don't play a game.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Four pages and no one has twigged to why Gill has said he'd look into having the AFL play footy on Good Friday. He's looking after the big end of town of which he considers himself a loyal participant.

Playing AFL footy on Good Friday removes the only political obstacle to removing Good Friday from the gazetted list of public holidays in Victoria.

The big employer groups in Vic would argue that if the masses are prepared to ignore the solemnity of Christianity's most sacred day (the very reason the day is a public holiday in the first place) there is no longer any reason for it to remain a public holiday.

So all you wage earners out there who enjoy a day off with pay (or work but get penalty rates), just go ahead and help Gill out in his devious agenda of playing AFL footy on Good Friday. Shooting yourself in the foot (or dare I say crucified).

(and its the tin end of the wedge for other religious holidays like Christmas, and by association Boxing Day)
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Man, that is just weird.
I hate corporates but this is just .....
And I have a big political background!

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:56 pm

Woods wrote:
Four pages and no one has twigged to why Gill has said he'd look into having the AFL play footy on Good Friday. He's looking after the big end of town of which he considers himself a loyal participant.

Playing AFL footy on Good Friday removes the only political obstacle to removing Good Friday from the gazetted list of public holidays in Victoria.

The big employer groups in Vic would argue that if the masses are prepared to ignore the solemnity of Christianity's most sacred day (the very reason the day is a public holiday in the first place) there is no longer any reason for it to remain a public holiday.

So all you wage earners out there who enjoy a day off with pay (or work but get penalty rates), just go ahead and help Gill out in his devious agenda of playing AFL footy on Good Friday. Shooting yourself in the foot (or dare I say crucified).

(and its the tin end of the wedge for other religious holidays like Christmas, and by association Boxing Day)

i don't entirely buy that as plausible as it sounds. nsw hasn't removed its good friday public holiday. besides, this friday victory plays wsw in melbourne and all days through easter are gazetted public holidays.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:00 pm

Not one person?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:01 pm

John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:

i don't entirely buy that as plausible as it sounds. nsw hasn't removed its good friday public holiday. besides, this friday victory plays wsw in melbourne and all days through easter are gazetted public holidays.

Not Sunday for hospital employees n Victoria. Perhaps Stui could enlighten us further, but since Jeff Gibb F*cking Kennet was in we lost Sunday & Tuesday (let alone Show Day). I know I don't get double pay then if i'm rostered to work.

Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:11 pm

John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:

NSW doesnt have the mass adherance to its footy code(s) that Victoria has. Victoria is the jewel in the crown.

Eg. bugger all people attend NRL games. Matters not if they watch on TV. Its the public attendance of 80,000+ at the MCG as the non-religious hords flout the sacredness of the day, that creates the foundation argument to give up the Good Friday public holiday.

NSW wont abolish their Good Friday public holiday until Victoria does, then the other states will follow and topple theirs like skittles.

If Good Friday goes, then by default so do all the other gazetted Easter holidays.
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:14 pm

watt price tully wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:

Not Sunday for hospital employees n Victoria. Perhaps Stui could enlighten us further, but since Jeff Gibb F*cking Kennet was in we lost Sunday & Tuesday (let alone Show Day). I know I don't get double pay then if i'm rostered to work.

did some overzealous, pimply nosed union rep sell away your rights in the lastest cba in return for something less valuable?

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Woods wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:

NSW doesnt have the mass adherance to its footy code(s) that Victoria has. Victoria is the jewel in the crown.

Eg. bugger all people attend NRL games. Matters not if they watch on TV. Its the public attendance of 80,000+ at the MCG as the non-religious hords flout the sacredness of the day, that creates the foundation argument to give up the Good Friday public holiday.

NSW wont abolish their Good Friday public holiday until Victoria does, then the other states will follow and topple theirs like skittles.

If Good Friday goes, then by default so do all the other gazetted Easter holidays.

do we really think 80k will go to the footy? especially if it is north vs wb as is mooted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9   

Jump to: