Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Boring Good Friday

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:
Four pages and no one has twigged to why Gill has said he'd look into having the AFL play footy on Good Friday. He's looking after the big end of town of which he considers himself a loyal participant.

Playing AFL footy on Good Friday removes the only political obstacle to removing Good Friday from the gazetted list of public holidays in Victoria.

The big employer groups in Vic would argue that if the masses are prepared to ignore the solemnity of Christianity's most sacred day (the very reason the day is a public holiday in the first place) there is no longer any reason for it to remain a public holiday.

So all you wage earners out there who enjoy a day off with pay (or work but get penalty rates), just go ahead and help Gill out in his devious agenda of playing AFL footy on Good Friday. Shooting yourself in the foot (or dare I say crucified).

(and its the tin end of the wedge for other religious holidays like Christmas, and by association Boxing Day)

i don't entirely buy that as plausible as it sounds. nsw hasn't removed its good friday public holiday. besides, this friday victory plays wsw in melbourne and all days through easter are gazetted public holidays.

NSW doesnt have the mass adherance to its footy code(s) that Victoria has. Victoria is the jewel in the crown.

Eg. bugger all people attend NRL games. Matters not if they watch on TV. Its the public attendance of 80,000+ at the MCG as the non-religious hords flout the sacredness of the day, that creates the foundation argument to give up the Good Friday public holiday.

NSW wont abolish their Good Friday public holiday until Victoria does, then the other states will follow and topple theirs like skittles.

If Good Friday goes, then by default so do all the other gazetted Easter holidays.

do we really think 80k will go to the footy? especially if it is north vs wb as is mooted?

Well, in keeping with the theme of the day its all about death and resurrection.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:39 pm

Woods wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:
Four pages and no one has twigged to why Gill has said he'd look into having the AFL play footy on Good Friday. He's looking after the big end of town of which he considers himself a loyal participant.

Playing AFL footy on Good Friday removes the only political obstacle to removing Good Friday from the gazetted list of public holidays in Victoria.

The big employer groups in Vic would argue that if the masses are prepared to ignore the solemnity of Christianity's most sacred day (the very reason the day is a public holiday in the first place) there is no longer any reason for it to remain a public holiday.

So all you wage earners out there who enjoy a day off with pay (or work but get penalty rates), just go ahead and help Gill out in his devious agenda of playing AFL footy on Good Friday. Shooting yourself in the foot (or dare I say crucified).

(and its the tin end of the wedge for other religious holidays like Christmas, and by association Boxing Day)

i don't entirely buy that as plausible as it sounds. nsw hasn't removed its good friday public holiday. besides, this friday victory plays wsw in melbourne and all days through easter are gazetted public holidays.

NSW doesnt have the mass adherance to its footy code(s) that Victoria has. Victoria is the jewel in the crown.

Eg. bugger all people attend NRL games. Matters not if they watch on TV. Its the public attendance of 80,000+ at the MCG as the non-religious hords flout the sacredness of the day, that creates the foundation argument to give up the Good Friday public holiday.

NSW wont abolish their Good Friday public holiday until Victoria does, then the other states will follow and topple theirs like skittles.

If Good Friday goes, then by default so do all the other gazetted Easter holidays.

Good. I'm all for public holidays as a workers' rights issue, but we're no longer a Christian country and making one religion's holy days a public holiday is inappropriate in this day and age. Time to shift the dates anyway.

But realistically, what the AFL does or doesn't do on Good Friday is going to make no difference to anything. The only question is why they keep this silly tradition when there's pretty much zero reason to do so.

Someone mentioned players' rights how many AFL players are devout Catholics who would see playing football on that day as a sin? Seriously, lol. Under that logic you'd better make sure no games are scheduled on Yom Kippur or during Ramadan.

Can't believe we're still having this conversation, honestly.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:48 pm

watt price tully wrote:
John Wren wrote:
Woods wrote:

Not Sunday for hospital employees n Victoria. Perhaps Stui could enlighten us further, but since Jeff Gibb F*cking Kennet was in we lost Sunday & Tuesday (let alone Show Day). I know I don't get double pay then if i'm rostered to work.

All 4 days of Easter are gazetted public holidays in the state of Victoria as of last year courtesy of Dan Andrews. Yes if you work the day you will get penalty rates, if you are on a rotating roster and regularly work Sundays but are rostered off on Easter Sunday you get the rostered off penalty.

Of the 4 only Good Friday is a "restricted " holiday under the public holidays act as I posted earlier, the others are Christmas Day and ANZAC Day up until 1pm.

The restricted bit means a number of traders are restricted from opening even if they wanted to, unlike on the other public holidays.

So the conspiracy theory about removing Good Friday's status as a public Holiday is utter bullshit, however removing it's restricted status would, IMHO, be a good thing. Let businesses choose to open and pay public holiday penalties if they want to. My local supermarket is open on Good Friday but the bottleshop is closed. Rolling Eyes

Christian country or not, the vast majority of people don't give a fat rats clacker for Good Friday, it's just a day off work but it's restricted status is BS.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:52 pm

i remember when working easter saturday was one of the most lucrative days of the year. iirc, it was triple time or double time and half as a minimum.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:58 pm

^

Courtesy of a commissioner 30 years ago in the now defunct Victorian Industrial Relations Commission who must have had too many sherry's at lunch, I get the choice of getting an extra days pay for each of Easter Saturday and Easter Sunday or a day off in the 4 weeks even though I never (officially) work weekends. Wink Razz

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:03 pm

Courtesy of some poor life choices, I generally get to work Good Friday and Easter Sunday for nothing.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:25 pm

I'm not sure the arguments against playing football on Good Friday pass muster to be perfectly honest. Caro goes on about it every year and uses the same non-arguments many have used here; one day without footy isn't the end of the world.

I can fill in my time very easily without footy and even if there were a game on, I probably wouldn't go, but that's not an argument for not allowing games.

Neither is being a holy day a valid argument in 2016. Even if half of the population went to church on Good Friday, that shouldn't prevent others from enjoying the footy if they wished. It would certainly have no impact on the ability of the religious to enjoy their day.

The vast majority of Victorians do not go to church on Good Friday and to prevent them from doing so for no good reason, is a throwback to the wowser era where the bible bashers of Camberwell, Hawthorn and Kew held sway and dictated to the rest of the population.

As there is no valid reason to oppose it, the AFL should play. People will go provided it is a decent game.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:48 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
I'm not sure the arguments against playing football on Good Friday pass muster to be perfectly honest. Caro goes on about it every year and uses the same non-arguments many have used here; one day without footy isn't the end of the world.

I can fill in my time very easily without footy and even if there were a game on, I probably wouldn't go, but that's not an argument for not allowing games.

Neither is being a holy day a valid argument in 2016. Even if half of the population went to church on Good Friday, that shouldn't prevent others from enjoying the footy if they wished. It would certainly have no impact on the ability of the religious to enjoy their day.

The vast majority of Victorians do not go to church on Good Friday and to prevent them from doing so for no good reason, is a throwback to the wowser era where the bible bashers of Camberwell, Hawthorn and Kew held sway and dictated to the rest of the population.

As there is no valid reason to oppose it, the AFL should play. People will go provided it is a decent game.

I don't think people suggesting that they don't mind a day without football is necessarily an argument as much as it is a sentiment. As such as I don't think they are arguing the point but rather they simply don't care. For example in my case it's just the way I feel. I don't think we shouldn't play footy on good Friday I just couldn't care less that we don't. And if it ain't broke (and it's not for me) why fix it?

As much as some are perplexed that it's still being discussed I'm perplexed that it's such a big deal.

But if one of you do lobby the government and are successful in having it declared an unnecessary and archaic tradition of the past resulting in the abolition of Easter and if if if....in the long run I lose my four day weekend.......I will hunt you down eat all your frozen dim sims* and kill all your favourite plants and shrubberies. Ni!!

As God is my witness (and my long weekend) amen.

*subject to microwaving in a dish with no lid.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:36 pm

^

We play footy on all the other 3 days of Easter and they're still public holidays.

We play on ANZAC Day and the Queens Birthday and they're still public holidays.

Shops are open on all of them, people who work get paid penalty rates and people can choose how to spend the day without unnecessary restrictions.

Why should Good Friday be special?

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Just a hypothetical, if we had a couple of our best 22 devout Christians who refused to play on Good Friday, what would the reaction be? I know of some devout Christians such as Swallow at the Pauperoos and wonder what his and others like him think on the issue. Would they play? If they did would they be 100% committed?
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:43 pm

slightly related but not, remember frank penhalluriack back in the 80s and how his stance changed the shopping laws. only 30 years ago but it shows up how archaic they were.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:44 pm

^

Same argument was used for Sunday footy and people quickly got over that.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:05 pm

John Wren wrote:
slightly related but not, remember frank penhalluriack back in the 80s and how his stance changed the shopping laws. only 30 years ago but it shows up how archaic they were.

Shame we didn't have hanging laws then. A master scunbag. Treated his workers very poorly & was hopeless when he became a local goverment counsellor. Both my daughters worked at 15 in his hardware. I know stories.....

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:08 pm

he came across as quite belligerent but i was too young to care about what was actually happening.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:30 pm

I most Likely watch/follow the Melbourne Victory Game that Night
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9   

Jump to: