Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood and the media

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm
Post subject: Collingwood and the mediaReply with quote

My nightly watch of AFL 360 is always interesting as I actually like Gerard's views on the game
Watching the past few nights after the injuries to the Bulldogs players the other night they had Bob Murphy in tonight and they were commenting on how they were all scared how they thought his career would be over and how Redpath is having a 3rd knee reco and how tragic that is to happen to a young player and Wallis horrific broken leg
This made me think
We're was the outpouring of concern when Swan did his leg/foot and his career could be over
We're was the concern about Scharenberg doing a second knee in 2 & 1/2yrs ?
We're was the concern when Ramsay did his knee ?
Why did these injuries have a larger impact on the media than our injuries ?
Why does Murphy's injury that could have injured his leg more media worthy than Swanny's ?
Why is Redpath's knee more tragic than Scharenberg's
I feel for any player who sustains an injury that ends there season or tragically ends a career but the coverage of some injuries compared to others baffles me
I know Swanny is no media darling like Murphy but heck his resume as a player by far eclipses Murphy's
Conversely when a story of wrong doing surfaces about a Collingwood player it becomes front page news even when it's not true but a punch up between team mates barely rates a mention at another club by the media
Double standards again
No wonder players become camera shy at times
jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:13 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree.

And to add to that.

When Lin Jong toured the Holden Centre, there was global outrage. How could Collingwood be a party to this deception?

Now we find out Brad Hill has spoken to Ross Lyons, while still in contract, and there's nothing but praise for the professional way they are handling things with the dawks.

Double standards to the extreme.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:35 pm

Think the word you're looking for is "where" vs we're. That aside a great post! Gerard's love for "Sir Bob Murphy" makes Bruce's affectations for Cyril seem comparatively frigid!

Sickening!!!!!

Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:56 pm

I've said it before, Murphy makes me sick in the gut ( bucking the trend ) boring TV when he is on, certainly more news worthy smashing the Pies rather than appreciating them.
Bucks2014 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 pm

I think the main difference is they were probably legitimate flag contenders until their injuries, where we haven't set the AFL alight for awhile.

The other reason well we all know you love Collingwood or you hate Collingwood. When this changes it will be a concern as then we are most likely irrelevant.

Collingwood sells papers, so Robbo will write any old rubbish he can legally get away with.

I read online and there will be a photo of Collingwood players although they may not even be the reason for the story. Journalism is really just trash these days.

Brad Hill totally agree, if he was a star or a required player Clarko would be on the warpath. I know you need pace but Hill really avoids contact, he's no loss.

The other thing that pisses me off about Journos is for example, Pendles says how it is, he is then ridiculed for days and his leadership is questioned. He then says the cliches and of course his leadership is questioned. You can't win. Journos are scum.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:42 pm

Thank you for your criticism.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:30 am

There is an enormous gulf in how the media treat the Pies, for good and bad.

We get a lot of coverage because we sell papers, but it's generally not all that positive. When things aren't going well for us it's an additional pressure, there's often a 'pile on' effect where small transgressions are magnified, plusses are downplayed and things like injuries are ignored.

I feel most for the players because the overall result is an underappreciation of the achievements made by Collingwood players (team of the century anyone?). A lot of Pies players are underrated by the general football public and media, even when worshipped by the Pies fans.

Buckley, Sav Rocca, McKenna, even guys like Daicos, Swan and Pendlebury are moved down a peg or two. Sure the press will talk about them as champions, but they do not receive the kind of fawning love we see for guys like Rioli or Ablett (Jnr or senior).

Most of the football world looks at the Pies like I look at Carlton. The only really good news is bad news.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:43 am

Redlight wrote:

We get a lot of coverage because we sell papers, but it's generally not all that positive. When things aren't going well for us it's an additional pressure, there's often a 'pile on' effect where small transgressions are magnified, plusses are downplayed and things like injuries are ignored.

I feel most for the players because the overall result is an underappreciation of the achievements made by Collingwood players (team of the century anyone?). A lot of Pies players are underrated by the general football public and media, even when worshipped by the Pies fans.

Buckley, Sav Rocca, McKenna, even guys like Daicos, Swan and Pendlebury are moved down a peg or two. Sure the press will talk about them as champions, but they do not receive the kind of fawning love we see for guys like Rioli or Ablett (Jnr or senior).

Most of the football world looks at the Pies like I look at Carlton. The only really good news is bad news.

100% TRUTH!!

Daicos not in Mike Sheeans top 50 players of all time?? Shocked

No Pies in the TOC.... Shocked

Coventry and McHale consistently ignored, no statues, not even in the original Legend status players/coaches, no recognition.... Shocked

Dick Lee not a Legend.... Shocked

Collingwood sells. Thats for sure. But sadly the negative stuff will sell much quicker. If Bucks gets the sack, it will be front page on the HS.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:19 am

Presti35 wrote:
Redlight wrote:

100% TRUTH!!

Daicos not in Mike Sheeans top 50 players of all time?? Shocked

No Pies in the TOC.... Shocked

Coventry and McHale consistently ignored, no statues, not even in the original Legend status players/coaches, no recognition.... Shocked

Dick Lee not a Legend.... Shocked

Collingwood sells. Thats for sure. But sadly the negative stuff will sell much quicker. If Bucks gets the sack, it will be front page on the HS.

Good points Presti
I noticed last night when they had Bartel on celebrating his 300th game they put up a stat of winning % of players who had played 300 games or more. Sitting atop of the list was Coventry but he didn't rate a mention they focused on Bartel being second and then asked what Enrights % would be then Sellars who didn't play 300 games but no focus on Coventry
A point a poster made earlier said they were focused on the dogs because prior to injuries they were a premiership threat.
Well prior to Scharenberg and Swan going down we could have been considered a top 8 team (yes it was over 5 minutes into game 1) but the lack of coverage after Swans injury was massive
The focus was squarely on the drugs story and our bad loss
Swan barely rated a mention
I have all our games this season saved on IQ and I went back to watch the incident involving Swan and not one commentator said anything along the lines of "If this is season ending for Swan that hurts Collingwood" or "I hope this isn't career ending for a champion of the game a Brownlow medalist and premiership player who was on the verge of being a 300 game player"
The only comment was that it hurts our forward line structure (quickly followed by a quip about it doesn't matter there not getting the ball forward anyway) and then a comment about how Swan wouldn't have made a difference with the team being so poor
I remember vividly when Murphy went down the "oh no oh no please don't let it be a knee oh no" sickening really
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:25 am

Well they have a point. We are shit.
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:30 am

I blame Collingwood for dropping the ball here.
We have meekly rolled over and have become the kicking bag for all to use. It's time to stand up and be counted for in all we do.
Membership is down, we're easy beats on the field, we can't get our best team on the park, we let the umpires f#%k us every single week, get held up in player trade movement and are laughed at for all of the above.
Sick to death of it and I hate it. All posts above are 100% correct but nothing changes since mm left us. were just considered whinges.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:51 pm

I don't mind most of the journalist. I found it quite entertaining when Jacko treated Sheehan with total disrespect due to the articles he had penned over the years at Jacko's expense. I no longer watch either 360 or Footy Classified as I cannot standing watching Robbo or Carro who are the worst of a poor lot. Both are absolute pigs as far as I am concerned.

As an aside I find Gerard Whatley quite entertaining.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:51 am

A perfect example...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/collingwood-high-on-2016-hurt-ladder-but-fremantle-biggest-losers-due-to-injuries/news-story/26c01c2253220c146b210ed81b8e80a3

It lists the teams most impacted by injuries, with Fremantle being the worst and the Pies the second worst (Hawks are third, annoyingly), but the article finishes with this...

"Given the backline overlap, the hurt has been magnified at the Dogs. Not even Bucks can feel that sort of pain."

Apparently the Dogs are much worse off, even though we're second on the list and they're seventh. Cry me a river.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:53 am

Redlight wrote:
A perfect example...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/collingwood-high-on-2016-hurt-ladder-but-fremantle-biggest-losers-due-to-injuries/news-story/26c01c2253220c146b210ed81b8e80a3

It lists the teams most impacted by injuries, with Fremantle being the worst and the Pies the second worst (Hawks are third, annoyingly), but the article finishes with this...

"Given the backline overlap, the hurt has been magnified at the Dogs. Not even Bucks can feel that sort of pain."

Apparently the Dogs are much worse off, even though we're second on the list and they're seventh. Cry me a river.

Love to see what the Hawks can do without Cyril, Mitchell or Burgoyne. Roughhead is a big out Hodge was for a month but the rest are secondary good players not the hart and soul of the team!
On the other hand we have had Adams for months, Pendles is only half right, Swan for the season. Clokey only played one game, Our leading goal the prince of Perth was out early and has been gone since the Dogs game. another leading forward Elliot has not laced his boost either!
"Bucks has been through the cleaners!"
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:00 am

Redlight wrote:
A perfect example...

Clearly Murphy is really important
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: