Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Dons. Anzac Day. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:27 pm
Post subject: Pre Match. Pies v. Dons. Anzac Day. All comments please.Reply with quote

Monday. April 25.

MCG. 3.20

Collingwood v. Essendon

B: Jack Frost, Nathan Brown, Alan Toovey
HB: Adam Oxley, Ben Reid, Josh Smith
C: Jack Crisp, Adam Treloar, Steele Sidebottom
HF: Travis Varcoe, Darcy Moore, Levi Greenwood
F: Alex Fasolo, Mason Cox, Jeremy Howe

Foll: Brodie Grundy, Scott Pendlebury, Taylor Adams

Int: Jordan De Goey, Jarryd Blair, James Aish, Brayden Maynard

Emg: Matthew Goodyear, Travis Cloke, Tom Phillips

IN: Mason Cox, Jack Frost, Brayden Maynard, Josh Smith
OUT: Tom Langdon (knee), Ben Sinclair (concussion), Travis Cloke, Jesse White (omitted)
NEW: Mason Cox (25, Oklahoma State University), Josh Smith (22, Redland)

Let's hear ya !!

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:49 am; edited 4 times in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:44 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Essendon are playing with far more pride and passion than we are at the moment so I'm not confident about this match.

If we lose this, the fallout will be brutal.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Only way I can see us winning.

Is very Simmlar to how the Cats Won.

We stay close to them to 3 Qtr time and they Hopefully run over the top in last.

But my Hopes are not very high

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:47 pm

Jezza wrote:
Essendon are playing with far more pride and passion than we are at the moment so I'm not confident about this match.

I be tipping the Dons by about 20-30 pts

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Jezza wrote:

Very unfair. If you think we lacked effort today then you're looking at it with a bias. We started flat but were very good with our effort and pressure afterwards and outplayed Melbourne in general play, we just failed to convert enough opportunities.

As with the Saints game everyone is treating Melbourne as if they are still bottom feeding no hopers, they aren't. We "should" be beating them but are not at our best at the moment, which happens, and when it does you can lose to an opposition that is playing well even if they haven't been fancied by the scribes. St Kilda and Melbourne are playing good football at the moment, just ask the Giants, Hawthorn and North Melbourne.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:59 pm

No, I think the effort was evident today but our game plan and structural set up is diabolical so it isn't a case of a lack of effort or not. We had 99 tackles today meaning we had less of the ball but we had the intent to retrieve it and place pressure on the opposition which was a good sign in some way.

I don't treat St.Kilda and Melbourne as insipid teams the way I would have two or three years ago. They're both young developing sides who are naturally improving and play a good brand of football but of course as young sides do they make mistakes along the way but they learn from them. For what it's worth I was nervous about the St.Kilda match last week and I didn't expect a victory today against Melbourne so it's hardly a case of disrespecting the opposition.

We should be beating Essendon alone based on the fact that they're missing half their regular squad due to doping suspensions, but Essendon with it's limitations and constraints have actually dished up decent performances this year and are playing with plenty of pride despite their shortcomings.

We'll probably beat them but that won't mean the present concerns about the team and the coaching panel automatically disappears again after that.

There's no getting away from the fact that we're playing like a bottom four team and the current ladder position is reflective of this. I honestly think we're better than three sides at the moment (Essendon, Carlton and Brisbane) that's how much we've fallen. Whether it's temporary or a sign of things to come remains to be seen.

Last edited by Jezza on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:10 am

Jezza wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Very unfair. If you think we lacked effort today then you're looking at it with a bias. We started flat but were very good with our effort and pressure afterwards and outplayed Melbourne in general play, we just failed to convert enough opportunities.

As with the Saints game everyone is treating Melbourne as if they are still bottom feeding no hopers, they aren't. We "should" be beating them but are not at our best at the moment, which happens, and when it does you can lose to an opposition that is playing well even if they haven't been fancied by the scribes. St Kilda and Melbourne are playing good football at the moment, just ask the Giants, Hawthorn and North Melbourne.

No, I think the effort was evident today but our game plan and structural set up is diabolical so it isn't a case of a lack of effort or not.

Game plans are over rated. Every team has one and usually they don't differ a great deal. I doubt our game plan is a major problem, having all of our players working consistently to it is. At the moment we are not working as a cohesive unit for four quarters and in the modern game you can't win against decent sides without doing it.

Footy now is far more of a team sport than ever, plans don't work unless the players are working together seamlessly. We're seeing the same thing with four teams at the moment: Collingwood, Richmond, Fremantle and Port. These are all teams that have the personnel to be better than they are but aren't yet putting it together. It's almost certain they all will at some point and likely that most will at least come close to challenging for the eight.

It's the start of the season and if things begin poorly it's easy for a team to lose confidence in what they've been working on over the pre-season. It's also easy for the opposite, teams like St Kilda and Melbourne have now developed a belief in themselves, that's going to be tested at some point, but right now they're feeling like they have made a real step up. And right now that's all we have, a poor start, let's see how the rest of the season goes before we believe we've taken a real nose dive.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:31 am

Out: Pendles(Playing Sore) Crisp White Cloke Sinclair Toovey

In: Broomhead Wills Frost Cox Phillips Smith

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:39 am

Too many changes Dave and half of those won't come into fruition.

At most I can only see two or three changes and some of those may be forced changes depending on the injury front.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:58 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Jezza wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Jezza wrote:

No, I think the effort was evident today but our game plan and structural set up is diabolical so it isn't a case of a lack of effort or not.

Game plans are over rated. Every team has one and usually they don't differ a great deal. I doubt our game plan is a major problem, having all of our players working consistently to it is. At the moment we are not working as a cohesive unit for four quarters and in the modern game you can't win against decent sides without doing it.

Footy now is far more of a team sport than ever, plans don't work unless the players are working together seamlessly. We're seeing the same thing with four teams at the moment: Collingwood, Richmond, Fremantle and Port. These are all teams that have the personnel to be better than they are but aren't yet putting it together. It's almost certain they all will at some point and likely that most will at least come close to challenging for the eight.

It's the start of the season and if things begin poorly it's easy for a team to lose confidence in what they've been working on over the pre-season. It's also easy for the opposite, teams like St Kilda and Melbourne have now developed a belief in themselves, that's going to be tested at some point, but right now they're feeling like they have made a real step up. And right now that's all we have, a poor start, let's see how the rest of the season goes before we believe we've taken a real nose dive.

A great point. In the modern era, everyone can see how football teams play - from GPS to stats to replay reviews, it is not hard to defne how you need to play to win. The challenge is all about execution, amd I assume that is what we are lacking right now. Whether it is a confidence thing, a talent thing, a team-cohesion thing, or (my guess) a simple leg-speed thing I do not know. It is probably all of the above to some extent. But i really do not think it is because we are trying to play any differently from many others. Malthouse loved to talk about game plans because they made it all about him, and that suited his personality ; but most teams have the same overall on-field strategy. i don't think they are differentiators.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:02 am

Jezza wrote:
Too many changes Dave and half of those won't come into fruition.

At most I can only see two or three changes and some of those may be forced changes depending on the injury front.

Bucks said he is ready to make some Big Calls Shocked

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:43 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Out: Pendles(Playing Sore) Crisp White Cloke Sinclair Toovey

In: Broomhead Wills Frost Cox Phillips Smith

Smacks of desperation Dave, 6x changes and 4x debutants.

Pendles turned the game back to a contest when he went into the guts, Cloke was our most effective forward, hopefully Sinkers concussion won't keep him out, thought White was okay, Crisp improved on the previous week.

Might not be too many changes at all, Broomy seems to be the 1 who's put his hand up.

Assuming Cloke, Reid and Sinkers all get up...

Out: Blair (thought he had an influence when he went into the midfield but not enough to keep his spot)
In: Broomhead
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:49 am

Brendan McCartney was on the ABC Saturday arvo and he made the same point about form and confidence when discussing Richmond. When teams have form and confidence they hold to their structures, don't get sucked into a contest when they shouldn't, spread when they should, and improve their ball use. The footy becomes more instinctive and sides build trust.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:51 am

Dave The Man wrote:
Well we are Getting to Desperate Times

Not really.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:42 am

We could be without both Cloke and Reid next week, so this will test our depth.

I think both Blair and Crisp should be dropped and Broomhead and Smith or Wills given a game. If Cloke is missing then Cox should also come in.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28   

Jump to: