Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

midseason draft

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:47 pm
Post subject: midseason draftReply with quote

This makes a lot of sense if you ask me. By the middle of the year a lot of teams are decimated by injury whether that's LTI's or ongoing soft tissue injuries and something needs to be done to allow clubs to manage this properly.

The game has never been more taxing on players bodies than it has in recent times and we're seeing many break down as a result of it as clubs push their players to the limit and demand more from them week after week.

A midseason draft allowing each and every club to "recruit" someone from another league such as the vfl, sanfl, wafl - whatever would be a great way better manage lists and give guys a chance to play who may otherwise be unable to play. We'll struggle to field a side soon and it's through no fault of our own and it's ultimately bad for the competition.

It could work like european soccer with loaning out players for a short amount of time with the option to recruit them at the end. All vfl players should be allowed x amount of senior games to fill a role if needed too.

What do you guys think?
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We needed this back in 2011.

I guess this is what the rookie list is all about. But I kind of like the idea, however, it would be slim pickings.

I don't know if a draft would work, but possibly a mid season free agency period? With players from state leagues and/or recently retired players can sign on?

Of course this would mean that they would go on to a clubs rookie list.

The other thing of course is that all the state league teams would be left quite unsatisfied by losing their best players.

Defiantly something to discuss tho.

CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:46 pm

I like it and 2 or 4 more on the list
Clubs that the players are recruited from mid-season can be partly compensated financially.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:02 pm

I'm not a fan. Lists of 44 + cat B rookies should be sufficient to field a senior side. Performance will be an issue but that's life. Mid season drafts could rip the heart out of feeder level leagues.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:37 am

jackcass wrote:
I'm not a fan. Lists of 44 + cat B rookies should be sufficient to field a senior side. Performance will be an issue but that's life. Mid season drafts could rip the heart out of feeder level leagues.

We have 11 players on our injury list all with short, medium and long term injuries. Half our team on game day! What I'm proposing is, that if a team has x amount of injuries or has sustained them over a long period of time then they should be able to 'borrow' players from the vfl for example for a short period of time and then have first option to draft them.

I don't think it would rip the heart out of feeder sides. If anything, it would give some guys a chance at afl that they might never otherwise have got. At least they would be seasoned players and not 18 kids getting smashed about too soon. I think in certain circumstances it would work, but there would need to be rules put in place to stop it from being exploited.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:30 am

WarrenerraW wrote:
jackcass wrote:

We have 11 players on our injury list all with short, medium and long term injuries. Half our team on game day! What I'm proposing is, that if a team has x amount of injuries or has sustained them over a long period of time then they should be able to 'borrow' players from the vfl for example for a short period of time and then have first option to draft them.

I don't think it would rip the heart out of feeder sides. If anything, it would give some guys a chance at afl that they might never otherwise have got. At least they would be seasoned players and not 18 kids getting smashed about too soon. I think in certain circumstances it would work, but there would need to be rules put in place to stop it from being exploited.

Yep, appreciate all that. Would still rather see Crocker, Smith, Wills or Phillips get a chance than some recently retired ex AFL footballer, or some guy who has been continually overlooked via the draft, and who likely offer nothing to the club longer term. Look at the size of these kids, they're not as fragile as people seem to think, playing VFL isn't for the feint of heart.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:40 am

Got no issue with the idea, But if i may play "Devil's advocate" how do the AFL work out a draft order? Do these mid-season players go onto senior list or rookie list? If senior list would this cause an issue for players on the Rookie list missing out on a spot over someone coming mid-year? ....If these players go on the Rookie list then the whole exercise is pointless. How do these players fit into salary cap? what is the contract length 6 months?

A fair bit that would need to be worked out on the nitty gritty front for my mind. Maybe something they look at introducing in a few years time. Not something you could bring in on the fly.

For teams struggling on a rebuild it would do little to help i would think. For strong teams you have the potential to make them even stronger. You think GWS currently need any top-up talent?

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:20 pm

Dislike you are screwing the lower league clubs
Damage them and you screw yourself over long term
Simple solution expand the rookie list to 8 players most will play VFL/SANFL/WAFL and so help them

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:47 pm

jackcass wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Yep, appreciate all that. Would still rather see Crocker, Smith, Wills or Phillips get a chance than some recently retired ex AFL footballer, or some guy who has been continually overlooked via the draft, and who likely offer nothing to the club longer term. Look at the size of these kids, they're not as fragile as people seem to think, playing VFL isn't for the feint of heart.

I don't think Crocker, Smith, Wills or Phillips should be playing AFL until they have at least a full year of playing VFL behind them. And Cox would have been better holding off playing AFL until the second half of the season. It really does hamper our chances of winning being forced to play these players who aren't ready. A mid season draft would help to address the issue of being short of senior players to play and consequently not being able to field a competitive side. A deeper list of 50-55 players would help also. But most of all, the last thing you want is some of your senior players losing form just when you are struck by injuries and struggling to pick a side. And it's diabolical when you have two players from your leadership group, in Brown and Macaffer, dropped due to lack of form.
1892_ 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:51 pm

The idea isn't bad, just don't know how it will work. Would state league teams be happy to lose their players mid year and how would they replace them?

Increasing list sizes is one option or alternatively maybe allow clubs to promote someone from their aligned state team, ie we could promote a Collingwood VFL player. The only issue with that is stand alone state league teams could suffer as players hoping for an AFL lifeline would chose an aligned team.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:01 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
jackcass wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
jackcass wrote:

I don't think Crocker, Smith, Wills or Phillips should be playing AFL until they have at least a full year of playing VFL behind them. And Cox would have been better holding off playing AFL until the second half of the season. It really does hamper our chances of winning being forced to play these players who aren't ready. A mid season draft would help to address the issue of being short of senior players to play and consequently not being able to field a competitive side. A deeper list of 50-55 players would help also. But most of all, the last thing you want is some of your senior players losing form just when you are struck by injuries and struggling to pick a side. And it's diabolical when you have two players from your leadership group, in Brown and Macaffer, dropped due to lack of form.

Fully agree but in the context of the discussion I'd prefer they get an occasional game than we re-draft a Tony Armstrong type mid-season. I'm also not convinced that playing any of these kids for a couple of games makes us any more or less competitive than playing a midseason draftee. It's not like we could pick up a Joel Selwood or a Buddy Franklin. These potential draftees for the most part weren't considered good enough to get onto an AFL list via the trade/draft period after all.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:20 pm

1892_ wrote:
The idea isn't bad, just don't know how it will work. Would state league teams be happy to lose their players mid year and how would they replace them?

Increasing list sizes is one option or alternatively maybe allow clubs to promote someone from their aligned state team, ie we could promote a Collingwood VFL player. The only issue with that is stand alone state league teams could suffer as players hoping for an AFL lifeline would chose an aligned team.

Surely the AFL could simply advocate upgrading a player like Hellier from the VFL, without going through all the draft bullshit and associated paperwork?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:15 pm

piedys wrote:
1892_ wrote:

Surely the AFL could simply advocate upgrading a player like Hellier from the VFL, without going through all the draft bullshit and associated paperwork?

Yeah but not all AFL clubs have stand alone VFL clubs.

Personally, I think we don't want it. while there's a nice story at the idea of the bloke being plucked out of a suburban league to the AFL to fill a hole half way through a season and does good, in practice cobs have enough flexibility in how they structure their list between the primary and rookie lists that they need to plan and manage it rather than relying on getting a mid season top up.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:38 pm

piedys wrote:
1892_ wrote:

like it!

MGR 

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:10 am

This is an excellent idea, as we all know footballers develop at different stages. There are a few lads in playing in the vfl, sanfl etc. who have been overlooked in the draft who could fit into an afl list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: