Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

A Mick Malthouse (WCE) Post

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:19 pm
Post subject: Re: A Mick Malthouse (WCE) PostReply with quote

Krakouer Magic wrote:
Coaches really have very little control over the off feild behaviour of individual, or a group of, players. Didn't we have a load of guys hair test positive for drug use recently? That's one thing I don't blame Bucks for. He has f@ck all control over what players do in their own time. Young blokes will always test boundaries and experiment with booze and drugs.

He and the club have no knowledge nor will they have any until they strike out and are banned which is rather silly. I mean, how can the club support them through a rehab program if they're tested and nothing becomes of the pre-season tests? Regardless of whether or not the drug use is down there's still drug use and no one seems to be too concerned about it at the AFL if they just sweep the names under the carpet.

Oh sure, let's give the clubs a rough estimate of the player numbers, but what are they doing to prevent a player from overdosing? The drugs Keeffe and Thomas were laced with something else, what happens if that was fatal and the AFL knew they were doing the drugs in the past?

But you are right the club has no control over what they do in their own time away from the club in the off-season and the likes but sadly the worst thing is they have no idea who is doing what drug. That's a little troubling. More so that a journo can have a list of the names, but not the clubs.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:32 pm
Post subject: Re: A Mick Malthouse (WCE) PostReply with quote

3rd degree wrote:
jackcass wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
E wrote:
I was thinking the other day about a few of the players from the Eagles who got into trouble during the drug troubled years of the Eagles. Most noticeably, the late Chris Mainwaring and Ben Cousin, who I understand may be in a mental institution now (after a bunch of arrests for bizarre behavior last year). Now I don't know if the Eagles troubles during this period was limited just to these two blokes, I doubt it.

what I think is interesting is that no one really focuses on the fact that Mick Malthouse was the coach at that time. I wonder why nothing stuck on him for their behavior.

Listening to Terry Wallace talk about his meeting with Cousins, blind freddy would have known these guys were on the gear in a serious way.

My question is why didn't Mick do more to help these kids. Doesn't the club have a responsibility to their players to take care of them?

FFS, Mick left them at the end of 1999. Rolling Eyes

But they were his boys...

I wish he wasn't so worried about Chad Morrison.

Or Williams...
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountains Magpie wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Chad Fletcher

Thank's Daniel. I wasn't quite truthful. I was aware of the name but even though this is a notice board there is no immunity from defamation laws. If something is defamatory this board assists the plaintiff by publishing the amount of views the post has received.

You can't be successfully sued for defamation if you are telling the truth.

MM

This really isn' t the forum for a discussion on defamation, but truth is only a defence if you establish the truth of a statement. Who has proof? The AFL didn't.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:23 pm

Mountains Magpie wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Chad Fletcher

Thank's Daniel. I wasn't quite truthful. I was aware of the name but even though this is a notice board there is no immunity from defamation laws. If something is defamatory this board assists the plaintiff by publishing the amount of views the post has received.

MM

This really isn' t the forum for a discussion on defamation, but truth is only a defence if you establish the truth of a statement. Who has proof? The AFL didn't.

Can't recall any of the media outlets who reported on it being sued.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 pm

jackcass wrote:
Mountains Magpie wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Chad Fletcher

MM

Can't recall any of the media outlets who reported on it being sued.

Either can I but :
1. Being the first to be sued isn't a defence either. Defending a defamation case will set you back a couple of hundred thousand;
2. Media outlets normally get clearance on a contentious story from their lawyers and phrase the stories appropriately. Ever heard of a Nicks poster doing that?
3 Media outlets are generally not silly enough to encourage people to promote the fact that people are suing them.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:44 pm

Either can I but :
1. Being the first to be sued isn't a defence either. Defending a defamation case will set you back a couple of hundred thousand;
2. Media outlets normally get clearance on a contentious story from their lawyers and phrase the stories appropriately. Ever heard of a Nicks poster doing that?
3 Media outlets are generally not silly enough to encourage people to promote the fact that people are suing them.

It's reported in the public domain. That it remains unchallenged for so long implies tacit approval.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:52 pm

No.
E 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:12 am

Member 7167 wrote:
I personally think that seeing that MM left in 1999 you would have to give him the benefit of doubt and assume that he bears little to no responsibility for what occurred after he left. I have some issues about MM's relationship with players but he should not be looked upon as being responsible for this mess.

Taken directly from Wikipedia:

Chris Mainwaring played 201 games for the Eagles between 1987 and 1999, kicking 84 goals. wasn't MM just about his only coach there?????? He played almost his entire career under MM.

Cousins on the other hand, started his career in 1996 and I would hazard a guess that his problems starting with having figures like Chris Mainwaring and others giving him drugs back then (under MMs watchful eye).

I only wrote this post because I thought the Eagles drug culture era was completely during MMs watch. it looks like the bulk of the problems did in fact occur under his watch (and simply weren't addressed by subsequent coaches).

I am not an MM hater. I just wonder why no one appears to have been held to account for a club that by all reports allowed players to turn up for training completely high and out of their minds.

I contrast this of course with Collingwood, who have tried to stamp out recreational drug use (and there is no evidence that I am aware of that suggests any players have life threatening additiction problems.

Oh and I remember now what made me post this. There was an article on the AFL website with Terry Wallace's description of what went on at Richmond when they were exploring picking up Cousins. It looks like revisionist history at its finest, but it paints a pretty scary picture of where he ended up.

Axll Rose and Ben Cousins. hard to tell who has fallen harder!!!!

yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:09 am

I remember thinking the Weagles were drug cheaters back in the 90's… so the recreational stuff is par for the course!

I was still pleased when Eddie recruited Malthouse though because he was willing to do whatever it takes to win and had premiership success as a coach!

Ultimately Malhouse was pretty pragmatic and if players are performing on the field he probably didn't give a rats what they did in their spare time… quite different to the culture controlling efforts of Pert and Bux over the last few years…

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:55 am

yin-YANG wrote:
I remember thinking the Weagles were drug cheaters back in the 90's… so the recreational stuff is par for the course!

I was still pleased when Eddie recruited Malthouse though because he was willing to do whatever it takes to win and had premiership success as a coach!

Ultimately Malhouse was pretty pragmatic and if players are performing on the field he probably didn't give a rats what they did in their spare time… quite different to the culture controlling efforts of Pert and Bux over the last few years

I think it's more of a general AFL stance really.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:59 am

E wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
I personally think that seeing that MM left in 1999 you would have to give him the benefit of doubt and assume that he bears little to no responsibility for what occurred after he left. I have some issues about MM's relationship with players but he should not be looked upon as being responsible for this mess.

Chris Mainwaring played 201 games for the Eagles between 1987 and 1999, kicking 84 goals. wasn't MM just about his only coach there?????? He played almost his entire career under MM.

Cousins on the other hand, started his career in 1996 and I would hazard a guess that his problems starting with having figures like Chris Mainwaring and others giving him drugs back then (under MMs watchful eye).

I only wrote this post because I thought the Eagles drug culture era was completely during MMs watch. it looks like the bulk of the problems did in fact occur under his watch (and simply weren't addressed by subsequent coaches).

I am not an MM hater. I just wonder why no one appears to have been held to account for a club that by all reports allowed players to turn up for training completely high and out of their minds.

I contrast this of course with Collingwood, who have tried to stamp out recreational drug use (and there is no evidence that I am aware of that suggests any players have life threatening additiction problems.

Oh and I remember now what made me post this. There was an article on the AFL website with Terry Wallace's description of what went on at Richmond when they were exploring picking up Cousins. It looks like revisionist history at its finest, but it paints a pretty scary picture of where he ended up.

Probably Rose - at least Ben Cousins isn't singing for a living in an AC/DC tribute band.
mackasmatt 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:34 am

I think its more to do with the fact that their era was the first to have widespread hugely disposable income, plus a rise in the party drug culture.
----------
------------
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:30 pm

E wrote:

Well Dale Lewis had said back in the 1990s that there was widespread drug use going on, no one seemed to take notice or care. Crossica came out and said he was using back in the day, I guess if Mick knew, and others knew it was a widespread attitude towards rec drugs back then.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:39 pm

The Prototype wrote:

Well Dale Lewis had said back in the 1990s that there was widespread drug use going on, no one seemed to take notice or care. Crossica came out and said he was using back in the day, I guess if Mick knew, and others knew it was a widespread attitude towards rec drugs back then.

Worse, in 2002 when he said it he was lambasted and lampooned. Every man and his dog shouted that poor guy down, all the while hiding their mounds of the white stuff and spliffs under the metaphorical tables with one hand whilst using the other to point at Dale Lewis and laugh.

He deserves an official AFL apology.

Interesting coming from one G Lyon, behold, from 2002.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/03/08/1015365748371.html

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Cam wrote:
The Prototype wrote:

Worse, in 2002 when he said it he was lambasted and lampooned. Every man and his dog shouted that poor guy down, all the while hiding their mounds of the white stuff and spliffs under the metaphorical tables with one hand whilst using the other to point at Dale Lewis and laugh.

He deserves an official AFL apology.

Interesting coming from one G Lyon, behold, from 2002.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/03/08/1015365748371.html

...and those shouting him down the loudest were journos and AFL and club administrators - all renowned pissheads. Seemed they preferred different drugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: