Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How far could "this" team go in 2017?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I doubt Swanny will be around next year and I am doubtful we'll get much out of Elliott, though I hope I'm wrong on both counts.

Our progress will largely depend on a qualitative improvement from Grundy, Moore, De Goey, Cox, Treloar, Maynard and Crisp as well as the return of Scharenberg, Ramsay, Langdon and Keeffe.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:33 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Sadly, I doubt Swanny will be around next year and I am doubtful we'll get much out of Elliott, though I hope I'm wrong on both counts.

Our progress will largely depend on a qualitative improvement from Grundy, Moore, De Goey, Cox, Treloar, Maynard and Crisp as well as the return of Scharenberg, Ramsay, Langdon and Keeffe.

The problrm is even if we get Scharenberg back he has still played very little AFL so it is going to take him twelve months plus to get into the swing of AFL level football.

We really really need improvment to start this year. Yes injuries have been bad, but we have rolled over far too easily in far too many games this year. We can afford to accept defeat as the norm or we slip into the Carlton / Brisbane Lions esk mould in which defeat becomes a acceptable norm.

Wins need to start now. A good coach can get the most out of very little, that is something I always admired of Malthouse. 2002 was just that.

Bucks has to salvage something for this year.

Last edited by derkd on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:34 pm

Collingwood should be moving heaven and earth to get Swan to go around again. There is not a player on the list who can offer what he does.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Collingwood should be moving heaven and earth to get Swan to go around again. There is not a player on the list who can offer what he does.

huge gamble, the only reason you would have him play on next year is if we belived we were a geniun shot at a premership...and that would be a very full hardy call at this stage. sadly at 33 and with that grade of injury. it is probably best he retired. and i say that with no joy...what is thr point of him playing another year if we are just going to scrape into the eight (at best, he may well run round for a team that could finish 10th again) i would prefer we got games into a youngster...and freed a spot up on the primary list for someone.

Last edited by derkd on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sir Alan of Didak Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:01 pm

The club believes it can win the 2017 Premiership...all planning for past 3 years has centered around that objective.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:
The club believes it can win the 2017 Premiership...all planning for past 3 years has centered around that aim.

I am sure the club was also planning for finals this year and last year. plannaing is just that...not always is it reality...nothing i have seen so far says we are genuin finals material side...too frequently we have lost games we should have won.... and failed to even trouble sides above us...

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:26 pm

derkd wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

huge gamble, the only reason you would have him play on next year is if we belived we were a geniun shot at a premership...and that would be a very full hardy call at this stage. sadly at 33 and with that grade of injury. it is probably best he retired. and i say that with no joy...what is thr point of him playing another year if we are just going to scrape into the eight (at best, he may well run round for a team that could finish 10th again) i would prefer we got games into a youngster...and freed a spot up on the primary list for someone.

All-time greats get to choose their time. He should play on, if he wants, because it will be more fun watching Collingwood play. There are plenty of children in the side, already - he keeps a kid out of the team the way Daicos did.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Honestly, I have no idea. So much depends on how fast the youngsters develop. DeGoey, Aish, Scharenberg, Treloar, Marsh, Maynard, Moore, Ramsay, Grundy and even Elliott are all players who you would expect to be on an upward growth path. I'd include Adams except I think he is already a gun.

I fear that by the time this team graduates, Buckley will have lost the faith of the powers that be and he will miss out on harvesting what he has planted and nurtured.

Sinclair is missing from this side - perhaps reasonably enough - despite being an important part of our future : elite line-breaking speed is missing from this side, and Elliott and Sinkers and Ramsay are all going to be necessary to provide it.

If Swan and Cloke are able to produce another year with anything like their better quality then that will help, of course.

Result ? probably 7-8 as we build toward brighter days in 2018.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Agreed, but can we offer him enough both financially and in terms of on field reward to get him to do it?

You pointed out once before how enticing the $400k he'd get in insurance for retiring would be.

I hope he plays on.

gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:15 pm

Onballers are same as this year - looks kinda good in a certain light, but shine the torch at the 12th spot we are in, so it can't be all that good.

- Pendles is slow, Varcoe does get much of the ball, Crisp is only average/good player, Adams not real classy, but goes well

forward line - Cloke pretty much finished, Howe couldn't make impact this year on forward line, Sidebottom not really a forward, Fasolo/Moore have some class, but not real big impact on score line at the moment.

in anwer to your question , would hope to make finals, but we need X factor and class from somewhere.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:59 pm

This team in my opinion could go all the way, but the reality is that since 2010 we have been going backwards. We have to change those parts of our game that are failing and reinforce those aspects of our game where we are succeeding. The Thompson biography is interesting in that it shows that you don't have to change the coach to succeed, but you need to change the things you are doing wrong. In Geelong's case their fitness regime was deficient. The change to a new fitness manager in 2007 produced a premiership.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Until our training drills improve, with kicking accountability improving we shall be a middling side.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:33 am

Throw in Michael Hurley and yeah.
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:48 am

Sir Alan of Didak wrote:
The club believes it can win the 2017 Premiership...all planning for past 3 years has centered around that objective.

We are not even close to being a premiership challenger & wont be next year either.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:05 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
derkd wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

All-time greats get to choose their time. He should play on, if he wants, because it will be more fun watching Collingwood play. There are plenty of children in the side, already - he keeps a kid out of the team the way Daicos did.

This

His X factor would have got us over the line in a couple of the close ones. We miss him so much, colourful leadership.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: