Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Stuff my mum says

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^This is another reason that facebook should be illegal.

Hehe, yeah I'm not a fan of this throwback that's for sure!

Went past the Tigers ground today about 1.30pm, almost gridlock! Very quiet at the westpac centre, got some bargains!

Jarryd Blair going cheap?

Actually they were putting up a bronze statue of him!

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:54 pm

Not really that much. Where did quiet at the westpac centre get some bargains?
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:57 pm

think positive wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
think positive wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
^This is another reason that facebook should be illegal.

Hehe, yeah I'm not a fan of this throwback that's for sure!

Went past the Tigers ground today about 1.30pm, almost gridlock! Very quiet at the westpac centre, got some bargains!

Jarryd Blair going cheap?

Actually they were putting up a bronze statue of him!

The kid size is always the cheapest option.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Gotta pay that!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:15 pm

I thought I'd reprise this thread.

The old girl is still going, just slower.

I ask her what she wants for dinner, if it's cooler she want's vegetables so she goes and prepares them. I don't peel vegetables, she won't eat them if they aren't peeled. So it takes her 30 minutes to prepare the veges.

At some point here I'm going to have to suggest she either prepares them in the arvo when she has nothing else to do and I'm not here (like when she makes some salad) or do it myself.

She likes doing stuff and I don't want to make her feel useless, but dinner at 8pm is becoming dinner at 8:15 or later.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:57 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I thought I'd reprise this thread.

The old girl is still going, just slower.

I ask her what she wants for dinner, if it's cooler she want's vegetables so she goes and prepares them. I don't peel vegetables, she won't eat them if they aren't peeled. So it takes her 30 minutes to prepare the veges.

At some point here I'm going to have to suggest she either prepares them in the arvo when she has nothing else to do and I'm not here (like when she makes some salad) or do it myself.

She likes doing stuff and I don't want to make her feel useless, but dinner at 8pm is becoming dinner at 8:15 or later.

Fair enough: I don’t like eating meals late.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:01 pm

Growing up as a child we never had dinner til 8pm or after. I can't eat it much earlier. It's when it takes her 30 minutes to do something that should take 10, I have to start asking myself questions.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:02 pm

My Mum complained quite reasonably about the gaps in her short term memory: she said she’d make a cup of tea then forget she’s just made it. She’s been in denial about having dementia. So Mrs WPT was able to mention how one loses short term memory in dementia. Mum then asked Mrs WPT where does it go?
Mrs WPT was able to say: remember the saying “in one ear & out the other” Mum was able to have a laugh at that

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:27 pm

The old girl isn't showing signs of dementia, apart from remembering the old days crystal clear, she's just breaking down.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:04 am

One of mum's classic failed efforts at teaching us political correctness as kids was her use of the term "unfortunate-looking". Could there be a more offensive way of describing someone?

I'd much rather she had just called me "ugly" Cool

Last edited by pietillidie on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:09 am

Just peel the veges. Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Nah, that's the best part about the warm weather, more salads. Wink

Back to topic, she has a very narrow comfort zone. She will still drive down to the local shops, about 500m but any further it's a taxi and only after I've taken here there a few times first.

She had to go to the dentist a couple of weeks back, she'd got a taxi there in the past but they'd moved buildings so she freaked at the idea of a Taxi, so I got her to arrange it for a Friday when I don't work so I could take her which I did. Parked in Greensborough plaza and walked her over, being careful to point out all the landmarks she could use to guide a taxi there next time cos she's as observant as a sight impaired toddler (she tried to argue with me that suburban train stations didn't have car parks, so when I drove her past Watsonia Station on the way to the dentist I pointed out the hundreds of parking spots that she'd driven past multiple times over 30 years but apparently had never seen before)

No dice. Next appointment I'd planned to head up bush and figured she could get a Taxi. Just get taxi to NAB Greensie, cross road at pedestrian crossing which has F all through traffic anyway and you're there. Nup. I could physically see the anxiety so said I'd take her and head up in the arvo. Lucky it was cancelled due to a power outage so I got away earlier.

It sounds like I'm complaining but I'm not really, it could be a shitload worse. I'm not sticking her in a nursing home unless absolutely necessary. She doesn't have dementia, can still do all the basics just slower and can get out in the garden for short bursts when the weather is right so she has a better quality of life than she had living alone up bush, even if she constantly bitches about the Melbourne weather conveniently forgetting that for the 30+ years I'd ring her every Sunday she'd bitch about the weather up in Toc. Laughing

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:57 pm

Because of her AML mum bruises something shocking - when I would take her shopping she would tell the check out chicks et al look what she did to me - thought the reactions were hilarious ( me not so much)

Since I came back from holis she has taken to telling them - she's got a broken leg her husband kicked her too hard Shocked

And like yours Stui she is now back to pottering in the garden in short bursts - it's all about quality of life and all you can hope is that you can maintain some semblance of that until you are pushing up the daisies!!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:59 pm

Yeah, she has the same attitude I do, it's the quality of life, not just hanging round for the sake of it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:16 pm

i like reading this thread, enjoy guys, i never really had this report with either of my parents, i hope with my kids ive changed that cycle. cheers, may they live happy years yet xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: