Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post inauguration Trump:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Trump is very unique... a politician who keeps his promises.
Unheard of anywhere else....

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Donald Trump on Wednesday signed directives to build a wall along the U.S. border with Mexico and crack down on U.S. cities that shield illegal immigrants, proceeding quickly on sweeping and divisive plans to curb immigration and boost national security.

The Republican president is also expected to take steps in the coming days to limit legal immigration, including executive orders restricting refugees and blocking the issuing of visas to people from several Muslim-majority Middle Eastern and North African countries including Syria, Sudan, Somalia, Iraq, Iran, Libya and Yemen.

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/trump-orders-building-of-mexico-border-wall-targets-us-sanctuary-cities/ar-AAmeZJ1?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=HPCDHP

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:49 am

MJ23 wrote:
David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
If people are concerned about the direction their country is headed in, they should do something about it.

Like say the Reclaim Australia protestors?

Or voting for One Nation?

Surely that is acceptable if people are genuinely concerned?

Of course. I support the right to protest, not just when it's for a cause I agree with. Better than tuning out and switching one's critical faculties off, which seems to be the course of action suggested by the "Donald Trump is president, deal with it" rhetoric.

Hopefully these protests won't be the high point of anti-Trump action but merely the first warning shot. I'm not proposing denial; rather, acceptance and then careful strategising. Time to fight back and find out where he bleeds.

Good on them for getting out there, even if a heap of them don't really know why they are there. It's going to take a lot of time, effort, patience and persistence for these organisers to "maintain the rage of the vocal minority" for 4 years.
Still I'd have thought the best form of protest is the vote. Democrats need to sort themselves out, understand what messages majority voters sent at the election and put forward a halfway decent candidate.

Hmmm... the ALP too perhaps?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:56 am

think positive wrote:
Great speech

https://youtu.be/h5CsDlYqxfA

"When Obama was in power and was pushing his agendas, did you see people doing all this? No, we united behind him."

Sheesh, talk about a short memory...

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:08 am

David wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
David wrote:
If people are concerned about the direction their country is headed in, they should do something about it.

Like say the Reclaim Australia protestors?

Or voting for One Nation?

Surely that is acceptable if people are genuinely concerned?

Of course. I support the right to protest, not just when it's for a cause I agree with. Better than tuning out and switching one's critical faculties off, which seems to be the course of action suggested by the "Donald Trump is president, deal with it" rhetoric.

Hopefully these protests won't be the high point of anti-Trump action but merely the first warning shot. I'm not proposing denial; rather, acceptance and then careful strategising. Time to fight back and find out where he bleeds.

No actually, I'm suggesting that rather than working themselves into a hysterical lather because
a) Hillary didn't win and
b) Trump will do horrible things cos i think so

how about they wait and see what he does and protest against actual rather than imagined things?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:25 am

Trump is already doing horrible things. He's signing an order today to ban all immigration from Syria and Iraq, as well as other strife-afflicted countries like Yemen and Libya. That means that the refugees from those countries, 10,000 of whom Obama promised to settle from Syria alone, will have one less place in the world they can escape to. People will die because of that.

He's also defunding sustainability initiatives and promising to resuscitate the American coal industry, which means the world will have its efforts to reduce climate change pushed back for another crucial few years.

Which of those two things alone has just been dreamt up by protestors? They're going to happen. The least people with a conscience can do is voice their opposition to it.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:38 am

David wrote:
Trump is already doing horrible things. He's signing an order today to ban all immigration from Syria and Iraq, as well as other strife-afflicted countries like Yemen and Libya. That means that the refugees from those countries, 10,000 of whom Obama promised to settle from Syria alone, will have one less place in the world they can escape to. People will die because of that.

He's also defunding sustainability initiatives and promising to resuscitate the American coal industry, which means the world will have its efforts to reduce climate change pushed back for another crucial few years.

Which of those two things alone has just been dreamt up by protestors? They're going to happen. The least people with a conscience can do is voice their opposition to it.

People will die regardless... do you think he can save them all?
Maybe the protestors should knock on the doors of the worlds 8 richest men who have more wealth than the poorest half of the globe?

Climate change???? common sense prevails over the biggest furphy in modern history.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:50 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Great speech

"When Obama was in power and was pushing his agendas, did you see people doing all this? No, we united behind him."

The guy was thinking off the cuff, but yeah pick one line. And I don't recall seeing thousands marching the day after he was in power.

He has a point though, someone, lots of someone's voted him in. Yes I already disagree with some of his stuff, but does he have the last word?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:51 am

Did they vote for Trump, or against Hillary and the rest of the old guard?
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Really bad things.... so bad...

The stock market continued its healthy growth Wednesday morning, as the Dow Jones Industrial average passed 20,000 points for the first time ever. The upward trends in the stock market occurred shortly after President Trump was elected

https://milo.yiannopoulos.net/2017/01/breaking-dow-jones-reaches-new-milestone-passing-20000-analysts-call-trump-bump/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:58 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Great speech

The guy was thinking off the cuff, but yeah pick one line. And I don't recall seeing thousands marching the day after he was in power.

He has a point though, someone, lots of someone's voted him in. Yes I already disagree with some of his stuff, but does he have the last word?

I only saw the first minute and a half, but that was such a clueless statement that I didn't think he'd have much else to add of value.

Even if he'd admitted that Obama was just as vigorously opposed by Republicans (and particularly the Tea Party wing) for the better part of eight years, and instead argued that people should unite behind their president, my response would still be ... why? Why should you unite behind a leader who tramples on every value you hold dear? Some will appeal to patriotism, but I don't have a lot of time for such sentimentality. It seems willfully apolitical.

At the end of the day, democracy requires dissent and argument in order to properly function. A few acts of hooliganism aside (which I don't endorse), that's all we're seeing right now with these protests. One in turn can furiously disagree with what the protestors are standing for, but to find the protests themselves distasteful seems suspiciously like an expression of a subconscious pining for a less democratic order of things.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:52 am

David wrote:

At the end of the day, democracy requires dissent and argument in order to properly function. A few acts of hooliganism aside (which I don't endorse), that's all we're seeing right now with these protests. One in turn can furiously disagree with what the protestors are standing for, but to find the protests themselves distasteful seems suspiciously like an expression of a subconscious pining for a less democratic order of things.

Up to a point, David, but the place to "protest" against a person being elected to office is the ballot box, and once that is done, quiescence toward the result is the reasonable response. Dissent can and should then move to specific policies once they are being debated or enacted ; but I do find these diffuse protests against Trump being president a bit odd. And I say that while heartily loathing the man.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:25 am

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:
think positive wrote:
Great speech

I only saw the first minute and a half, but that was such a clueless statement that I didn't think he'd have much else to add of value.

Even if he'd admitted that Obama was just as vigorously opposed by Republicans (and particularly the Tea Party wing) for the better part of eight years, and instead argued that people should unite behind their president, my response would still be ... why? Why should you unite behind a leader who tramples on every value you hold dear? Some will appeal to patriotism, but I don't have a lot of time for such sentimentality. It seems willfully apolitical.

The first minute and a half of a movie can be dogshit terrible, but it might be the best movie you see that year.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 am

think positive wrote:
Did they vote for Trump, or against Hillary and the rest of the old guard?

Definitely - Hillary was a terrible candidate and the way she was confirmed as the democrats nomination was a disgrace.

I also think the American public understood Trump to be a businessman and not a politician. They knew his personality quirks from his many years on their TV screens.
Strangely this seemed to let him get away with saying the right thing the wrong way or even the outlandish and wrong thing in general. It was almost seen as a starting point in a negotiation and not taken literally to be held to account.

Analysis, opinions, statistics, articles and interviews have been very interesting reading post election. If nothing else, America and the world find themselves in a very unique place with Trump as president with the control republicans have.

I get a sense the biggest difficulties Trump will face in moving forward his agenda wont be from the Democrats - reality and truth has not sunk in, wont be from protestors and definitely wont be from any celebrity who still doesn't understand their hypocrisy and irrelevance to the American public. It also wont be from the media who I think will be under more scrutiny than ever before.
His biggest challenge I think will come from the Republican party.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:11 am

American Media under scrutiny.

http://www.hannity.com/articles/hanpr-election-493995/fake-news-alert-washington-post-misreports-15508707/

Trumps "Fake news" is very clever. His Twitter gives him direct access - for free - to millions of people and then every tweet is picked up for free by the mainstream media.

Why would he stop ??

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:27 am

Speaking of saying the wrong thing!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gneBUA39mnI&feature=youtu.be

I rely pretty heavily on subtitles and lip reading with to shows, and f you watch trumps lips, you can really see him saying this, very well done!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 220, 221, 222  Next
Page 6 of 222   

Jump to: