Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alex 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Sidebottom was great in Round 2, had 20 possessions and a goal on the flank.

In Round 3, I thought he was much poorer, but was used mainly through the midfield. He had 28 possessions, and a goal, which looks better on paper, but his disposal efficiency was @ 54%, which is abnormally low for him.

I would prefer him to play in the forward line, and bring Daicos back onto the wing.

In R1 Daicos played forward, and had 9 disposals and no goals, Sidey didnt play

In R2 Sidey played forward, and was phenomenal, while Daicos played on the wing, and had 16 possessions, a goal, off 88% efficiency.

In R3 Daicos played forward for over half the game, and kicked 2.2, with 15 disposals, while Sidebottom had 28 disposals and a goal, but on terrible efficiency.

I would prefer Sidey to play forward and only come up the ground in patches, while Daicos mainly plays on the wing but goes forward for patches.

I believe this will bring the best out of both players.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:49 pm

He started the season with a calf (?) injury and wasn’t the only one who had a poor game (efficiency wise) last week. Watch the replay, even Pendles’ efficiency was way down, coughed it up several times (first round too). Treloar gone means more pressure on Pendles, Adams, Sidey. This’ll balance out when the younger players get more experience as the season progresses.. Missing Phillip’s ground coverage also means Sidey is our only Eddie everywhere — rotation caps also mean he gets fewer breaks than in previous years — therefore rest him in the forward line at Cox’s feet. Watching Sidey instruct and talk to other players throughout the game, there’s no question of his leadership. Anyone who bags Sidey as a dud is full of manure
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:40 pm

Thoughts on Sidebottom? He is presently equal-16th on our all-time list of most games played for Collingwood. Before long, he will likely have played more games than Daicos, Swan and Buckley. He has already won as many flags as two of them and more than the other. Unlike them, he will become the first Collingwood player in history to play 250 games with posters on here still pretending that he isn't much good.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:55 pm

^ I liked him even before we drafted him...
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:07 pm

Sidey is a deadset champion and would be a walk up start in any other AFL team bar none! Same can’t be said for at least 90% of other players from all other clubs. Obviously there’s something going on off-field which is dimming his focus somewhat and has been for the last several months - possibly was given the ‘the talk’ and didn’t appreciate being considered being put up for trade? Whatever...he’s going to have a big one against GWS - 5 goals and GOTY!
If you don’t believe me check it out for yourself - the evidence doesn’t lie.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 pm

I think his days are numbered.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 pm

He should just play mostly deep forward as a crumber or general, with occasional stints (dropping off as he ages) of him relieving midfielders in the middle.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:56 pm

Sidey is a polarising figure really
People seem to either rate him or don’t
For mine he’s a good player
Not a great player and certainly not a elite player
He can never be mentioned in the same sentence as a modern day greats like Buckley Swan Daicos Pendlebury Milane
He’s 2 tiers down from them
Yes he has a premiership medal but he was central to us winning it he was a long for the ride in a very good team (yes he was young and not as experienced as many of his team mates)
His games played might put him in elite company (and you can’t knock his longevity or availability) but that’s as close as he will ever get to them
He’s not a match winner
He has good moments in matches but he just isn’t in that elite bracket who are match winners or game changers
He’s form since the PF in 2018 has been slowly fading and it appears every club has now worked out he can’t play when a player puts any pressure on him
He’s not a elite kick in fact he’s a average kick across his career with a kicking eff (this is kicking eff not disposal eff) just over 60% (elite according to champion data is elite over 72% and above average is 62%)

Personally I think many have overhyped him since he was drafted (on the back of his performance in the under 18’s GF)
Instead of being happy he was a good player some decided to make him sound like the second coming of god which he’s clearly not
If people remember draft in 2008 (prior to the under 18’s GF) he was a late 1st round in some most had him in the second round (Cal Toomey had him at 31 by memory)
He eventually went pick 11 and there should always be high hopes for a player taken with a 1st round pick
At the end of the day he’s been a good player for the club anything else is a overstatement
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:43 am

Judging a player based on their pre-draft ranking or draft position is a bit of a reach. Basing expectations on this is fair. For performance measures, I like to look at whether a player has outperformed their draft position against others in the same draft i.e. if we were to rank all players from that draft now, would Sidey be above pick 11? I don't think anyone would say no... based on that, he's been a good get.

FWIW this is a reasonable read -
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-afl-draft-2008-afl-draft-rerank-nic-naitanui-jack-watts-steele-sidebottom/news-story/90c32adc5ac12a6509551547bdccdb5f

Incidentally, average career games for a pick 11 are around the 120 mark.

Any way you slice it, Sidey is a champion. who only 3 seasons ago was 4 votes shy of a Brownlow. He also sits in 6th place at Collingwood for all-time Brownlow votes (17th on a per game basis).

I'd rather take the field with him than without thank you.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:59 am

Boogie Knights wrote:

Any way you slice it, Sidey is a champion. who only 3 seasons ago was 4 votes shy of a Brownlow. He also sits in 6th place at Collingwood for all-time Brownlow votes (17th on a per game basis).

I'd rather take the field with him than without thank you.

Could not agree any more. He'd be one of the first names written down each week, that's for sure... and deservedly so. I rate the guy. History will remember him favourably. That doesn't mean he's exempt from criticism and commentary on his obvious below-par performances though.

Big T 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:13 pm

Sidey is crucial for us. Simple.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:28 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
For performance measures, I like to look at whether a player has outperformed their draft position against others in the same draft .

And just like that, we have a winner !
Spot on in every sense of the explanation.
Should be how all players are measured and assessed over a reasonable time frame.
And There wouldn’t be a club in the competition who wouldn’t have taken Sidebottom at 11.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:09 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Boogie Knights wrote:
For performance measures, I like to look at whether a player has outperformed their draft position against others in the same draft .

And just like that, we have a winner !
Spot on in every sense of the explanation.
Should be how all players are measured and assessed over a reasonable time frame.
And There wouldn’t be a club in the competition who wouldn’t have taken Sidebottom at 11.

It’s funny really looking back with hindsight on drafts
He was taken at pick 11 so 10 clubs had already bypassed him for whatever reason (didn’t need a small outside runner or were chasing talks or didn’t rate him higher than 11)

I think by memory it was either 2015 or 2016 they did a review of the draft and Sidey had jumped to pick 6 which is fair IMO based on his career achievements at that time

In the same revisit Dan Hannebery was elevated to #1 pick in place of Jack Watts Nic Nat stayed at #2 and Dayne Beams was elevated from pick #29 to pick #3
Read into that what you will (link below for list)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2007-class-reselected-dan-hannebery-no-1-pick/news-story/e6e0a90d23bbafb8539b0a00396de030

If we had our time over in the 2013 draft we could have used pick #6 on Cripps or pick #10 on Sheed or Impey
Hindsight is a marvellous thing sometimes you can hit gold with your draft picks some times you hit lemons

How he compares to others drafted in the same year as him Sidey has faired well but that draft year was weird when you look at the later picks compared to first rounders selected
Forgetting priority picks look at the selections made from round 2 onwards

Zaharakis
Beams
Hannebery
Shiels
Motlop
Sloane
Walters
All could reasonably be selected in the 1st round if you revisited the draft 10 years on (season end 2017)
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:50 pm

masoncox wrote:
I think his days are numbered.

I think all our days are numbered somehow 🤨

I know for a fact that Essenscum rated Sidey and were mightily pissed off that we snagged him.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:19 pm

Sidey turned 30 start of the year, so of course his days are numbered. So are Pendles’s days, and Howe’s. Drafted same year as Dan Hannebery and Beams, and how are they fairing in their twilight years?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 53 of 76   

Jump to: