Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'me too' movement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 4:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can understand that.

I'm happy to leave it there or if you prefer me to delete the post, I'm comfortable with that too.

I'd certainly we'd be hoping not to have the raging debate about Joffa that's been had of other high profile cases, he's copping enough vitriol on his social media pages

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Leave it there, it shows we have all considered the matter.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 2:18 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Unfortunately though, the same phenomena of assuming guilt on being charged is occurring here to. I had a look on Joffa's Facebook page earlier, his last post was a couple of weeks ago, he was in Melbourne, it was the day he was charged. Already there are people piling into the comments on that last post with insults and assumptions of guilt

Without discussing this case in particular (as per the wishes expressed above), I will say this: it may be the case this time or it may not, but one of these days someone or other is inevitably going to be found to have been the victim of a false accusation, and a lot of the social media mob who post stuff like this will (hopefully) take the opportunity to look in the mirror and realise the harm they've visited upon someone. And until there's any prospect of social media users facing consequences (say, through group defamation cases), authorities and media organisations have to start thinking about whether it might be necessary to withhold the names of accused people prior to sentencing – because it seems pretty clear that the general public can't be trusted to wait until then before casting judgement, even when they have no information whatsoever about the case at hand.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:21 pm

I'd agree that there needs to be some form of potential consequence, at present people clearly feel free to say whatever they want with no fear of repercussions.

Suppression orders don't work, as evidenced in the Pell case, all it does is stir up curiosity.

We've seen instances where non celebrities are changed with high profile charges, like rape and murder, and people hunt down the accused's social media sites just to heap vitriol on them.

The other potential consequence don't forget is to the person if they are falsely accused. The amount of hate and vitriol could push people over the edge.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:56 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Unfortunately though, the same phenomena of assuming guilt on being charged is occurring here to. I had a look on Joffa's Facebook page earlier, his last post was a couple of weeks ago, he was in Melbourne, it was the day he was charged. Already there are people piling into the comments on that last post with insults and assumptions of guilt

Without discussing this case in particular (as per the wishes expressed above), I will say this: it may be the case this time or it may not, but one of these days someone or other is inevitably going to be found to have been the victim of a false accusation, and a lot of the social media mob who post stuff like this will (hopefully) take the opportunity to look in the mirror and realise the harm they've visited upon someone. And until there's any prospect of social media users facing consequences (say, through group defamation cases), authorities and media organisations have to start thinking about whether it might be necessary to withhold the names of accused people prior to sentencing – because it seems pretty clear that the general public can't be trusted to wait until then before casting judgement, even when they have no information whatsoever about the case at hand.

craig-13 not guiltys- says hi

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The other potential consequence don't forget is to the person if they are falsely accused. The amount of hate and vitriol could push people over the edge.

And even if they're guilty, I think you have to ask what good all this vitriol is doing. It's certainly not going to help the person reform or come to terms with what they've done, and it doesn't really help the victim in any way – indeed, I strongly suspect most of these people don't really care about the victim at all. They're just delighting in seeing somebody they probably already didn't like brought down. They get to be bullies and to feel like they're morally justified in doing so.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:21 pm

^

I'd agree with that completely

it's like these dickheads who abuse footballers or other sports people online for ruining their bet. get a fkn grip.

roar 

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:40 am

David wrote:
one of these days someone or other is inevitably going to be found to have been the victim of a false accusation, and a lot of the social media mob who post stuff like this will (hopefully) take the opportunity to look in the mirror and realise the harm they've visited upon someone.

Ha, you really are an optimist, aren't you?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Yeah, not really sure I even believed that when I was writing it tbh
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:34 pm

People convince themselves of a person's guilt or innocence and the court findings are largely irrelevant.

If the court outcome agrees with their opinion they're vindicated, if it doesn't then it's clearly wrong.

I'd bet practically none of the people who were convinced that George Pell was guilty have changed their mind since he was found not guilty on appeal.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Can agree with that, for sure.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 5:12 pm

stui magpie wrote:
People convince themselves of a person's guilt or innocence and the court findings are largely irrelevant.

If the court outcome agrees with their opinion they're vindicated, if it doesn't then it's clearly wrong.

I'd bet practically none of the people who were convinced that George Pell was guilty have changed their mind since he was found not guilty on appeal.
same goes for Craig M, and his life is ruined, and he wasn’t found guilty of anything. Same as De Goey, no one knows what’s going on but because his name is out there people are speculating
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:54 am

I saw that the New South Wales government is considering bringing in "affirmative consent" laws. While I would also like affirmative consent – that is, free and enthusiastic participation in sex – to be the socially expected norm, I do think shifting the goalposts of legal definitions of sexual assault to encompass a lot of grey areas is a dangerous direction to go in. This guy agrees:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/tread-carefully-on-sexual-consent-some-of-these-reforms-are-dangerous-20210528-p57w3i.html

Quote:
One proposed change that is troubling is that “free and voluntary agreement to a sexual activity must exist at the time of the sexual activity”. The commission has acknowledged this means a person cannot give advance consent. So even if a person told their sexual partner that he or she wanted to be woken from sleep by some form of sexual touching, this could not be regarded as consent to that sexual activity. Does the NSW government really support that principle?

Another concerning proposal is that a person “does not” consent to a sexual activity if there are behaviours including, for example, “verbal aggression, begging and nagging, physical persistence, social pressuring, and emotional manipulation”. How many people would be at risk of prosecution after a bitter break-up on the basis that they had “begged” or “nagged” for sex? Whatever moral judgment might be made about such behaviour, does the government really support a change to the criminal law that would require it to be held that there was necessarily no consent in such circumstances?

The commission also proposes that a person “does not” consent to a sexual activity if “participation is dishonestly procured by a false representation or upon a false pretence, known by the maker to be false when it was made”. Assume that a person says to another, falsely, “I am not married” or “I will leave my current partner” and that induces the other person to participate in sexual activity.

Such dishonesty may be morally wrong. However, it is not usually a crime to tell fibs or even blatant lies. Does the government really support the principle that any lie told to procure sexual activity will constitute a serious criminal offence?

Yet another of the proposals is that “a person does not consent to a sexual activity if the person does not say or do anything to communicate consent”. This would mean, even if a jury is satisfied there was free and voluntary agreement to sexual activity in the mind of the complainant, it would be required to find there was no consent because it was not actually “communicated”. Does the government really support that principle? Should an accused be convicted even if the complainant admits that he or she consented?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:30 am

well thats romantic!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:54 am

I always thought begging was just foreplay. Shocked Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 35 of 37   

Jump to: