Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

NBN is connected!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
F*ck Abbott & Turnbull, they utterly f*cked up here. They only see infrastructure spending in terms of roads & subsdizing the mining industry.

Those 2 ***** have F**ked Australia Right Up

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:40 pm

How far up?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:32 pm

watt price tully wrote:
We've got Optus cable & not sure of the speeds but very fast.

We also had NBN installed on the outside wll (not connected) and have about 15 more months left. I'm not doing anything for 12 months then I'll start looking. Hopefully the competition will have improved prices (and services).

Like a lot of others I'll have to pay more for an inferior product.

F*ck Abbott & Turnbull, they utterly f*cked up here. They only see infrastructure spending in terms of roads & subsdizing the mining industry.

Give me the PMG anyday Wink

so the testra and optus lines will get cut off? gees, not much of a choice then!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:21 am

Pre the NBN, Telstra and Optus were the only ones who had cable via their pay TV rollout. Optus had some copper landlines but the vast majority was Telstra. That meant pretty much every other player was just a reseller, buying wholesale and selling retail, even if they were able to put their own equipment into the Telstra exchanges.

Now, the NBN owns the network and they only sell space wholesale, everyone else, including Telstra and Optus, are just resellers.

What really bother me is that the NBN can't seem to figure out how to use the Telstra and Optus cable effectively, so I may go from a cable connection to some version of ADSL. Mad

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:53 am

Gawd, more shit I have to figure out, I just wanna plug it in and get high speed. On a side both kids were streaming movies or tv shows when I got 5’s the other night, would that be the reason? I seem to be on 11.89 most of the time. A bloody long way from what they promise. My last house was only 5 min away, we had Optus and could choose, no choice here, and in 10 years not much improvement. And wifi? Ugh, we have Ethernet in the walls, but in the wrong places. Hubby really didn’t think that room would still be a gym!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:17 am

^

How much of your connections are hard wired (blue ethernet cable) and how much wi fi?

If you've got 2 people streaming movies, while also using their mobiles on wifi to check facebook etc, plus you on the PC that's going to drag your wifi.

I've got the PC and PS4 hardwired so it's only phones and tablets using the wifi

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:29 am

^^Off may Cable modem I am hard wired into most rooms of the house. I did this before stable WiFi. Now I have both options and as there is basically only 2 users my speeds are constant high whether I am streaming or downloading via WiFi or Ethernet. At the moment I am doing some game updates through Steam and constant 4mbs (7mbs peak) and that would be what they are pushing out. Need more speed.

We should be getting 100 down as Standard, but that won't happen as that would put Murdoch's Foxtel out of business.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:43 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

How much of your connections are hard wired (blue ethernet cable) and how much wi fi?

If you've got 2 people streaming movies, while also using their mobiles on wifi to check facebook etc, plus you on the PC that's going to drag your wifi.

I've got the PC and PS4 hardwired so it's only phones and tablets using the wifi

My pc is blue Ethernet, eldest is through the power cable, junior has a laptop, plus 2 iPads, and 4 phones, and a smart tv, all on wifi. I have a mega router and I can connect upstairs or front of house to my eldest PC, but downstairs is very open plan so we have massive steel beams that create dead spots. There is Ethernet to the girls rooms from the gym, (front of house, perfect spot to distribute from, but no good when my desk is the other end of the house) which I lost the fight for, as I knew it was never going to be an office! I wanted the Ethernet cables to stem from where my desk is at the back of the house. We have a special thing we got from Foxtel that puts the internet through the power cable if it’s on the same circuit, we ran a wire from outside under the pagoda, near my desk, through the garage roof to her room, it comes out next to a power point. It’s only slow in the evening and every second weekend when her and the boyfriend are home! The rest of the time it’s bareable!

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Latest update is NBN is having major issues with HCF services and Foxtel Cable. It's like a major highway and all roads are blocked. Foxtel will change everyone onto Satellite by 2020. The NBN Cluster **** continues.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Kiwi's are getting Internet that is 20 Times Faster then we Get for pretty much the Same Price.

Shows what a Joke the NBN is

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:54 pm

We got our Fixed from Download Speeds of about 18-22mbps now I can get between 40-70mbps. Though Average between 50-66mbps

Said was problem with Pit out the Front that was main reason why it was slow

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:18 pm

interesting and good news Dave, ill have to remember that.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:28 am

Dave The Man wrote:
We got our Fixed from Download Speeds of about 18-22mbps now I can get between 40-70mbps. Though Average between 50-66mbps

Said was problem with Pit out the Front that was main reason why it was slow

Great. But a bit faster would be better. I reckon you'd want to crank it up a bit so that you can download the whole Internet every night without having to sit up too late.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:09 am

I just got a letter from Telstra. NBN is ready, I just call up to arrange the changeover, no change to; my plan, bill or contract period.
Get a 'Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2' included.

Will see how it goes I guess. Never had an issue with current set up. Always been a great service at a good price from what I can tell.
I have to have Telstra, no other providers work where I work. Been like that for 20 years, are other servers not interested in broader coverage?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:32 am

Remote area coverage is very expensive. No telco provides it willingly. Telstra does it because it is required to under the terms of service obligation. This requirement was placed on Telstra as part of the original deal when Telstra was privatised.

Tesltra loses a big pile of money every year servicing places like outback Queensland. Yes, they are the only provider in the outback and get 100% of the available customers, but all put together that only adds up to the same number of customers you'd get in a couple of city suburbs. It's nothing like enough revenue to make up for the cost of the towers and links.

Given that they have to service Thargominda and Birdsville anyway, Telstra make a virtue out of necessity and publicise the reach and quality of their network, which is indeed far better than Optus' and light years better than Vodafail's. They can and do charge more for it.

This is why Skids and I, and other people who live in cities but regularly visit the outback, grin and pay the extra. For us, it's Telstra or go without.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: