Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is it a bad thing if house prices crash?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Twenty years ago I moved to a 20 acre property in the northeast of Melbourne. The suburbs have moved out and are only about 1km away now. Over that time there have been quite a few suburban residents move here and after a lot of initial excitement and work, they realise that it’s constant work and expense living on a property this size then normally leave after a year or two. Spring means hours each week mowing and weeding. Summer means watering plants constantly and making sure they aren’t eaten by kangaroos and rabbits. My dog has been bitten by snakes, a brown and a tiger, but survived both times after $10k vet bills. The cat has also been bitten twice and survived. Last summer it brought two young tiger snakes into the house. Just as well I was there. Unsealed roads mean my car normally looks like I have just driven across the Nullarbor. Despite all that I would struggle to live in the suburbs again.

Cheers that’s exactly what I said to junior tonight, I love the romance of a farm, I’m sure I would have loved it 15 years ago when I would still be able to ride to the level I quit at, but now I think I I’d just prefer to roll over and look at the ocean! It’s very quiet here although it is getting busier, but although it’s on the esplanade the house I’m looking at is in a quiet spot, there us a major road (well for these parts!) a block away which takes the drive through traffic. Being able to get to the real coast in less than an hour, having a bay at the doorstep, nice beach I can take my canoe across the road with a hand cart, very tempting!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:33 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Twenty years ago I moved to a 20 acre property in the northeast of Melbourne. The suburbs have moved out and are only about 1km away now. Over that time there have been quite a few suburban residents move here and after a lot of initial excitement and work, they realise that it’s constant work and expense living on a property this size then normally leave after a year or two. Spring means hours each week mowing and weeding. Summer means watering plants constantly and making sure they aren’t eaten by kangaroos and rabbits. My dog has been bitten by snakes, a brown and a tiger, but survived both times after $10k vet bills. The cat has also been bitten twice and survived. Last summer it brought two young tiger snakes into the house. Just as well I was there. Unsealed roads mean my car normally looks like I have just driven across the Nullarbor. Despite all that I would struggle to live in the suburbs again.

That's it. You either don't mind a bit of hard yakka, or you give the caper away. We have no-go zones at this time of year because they are alive with Tigers and the males go stupid during the breeding season. Sometimes they come right up to the house, but we keep the vegetation short so that they don't stay long and we can see them before it's too late. Once you learn the ropes it's not a big deal.

We care about wildlife so we don't keep a cat or dog, just ducks. We have all sorts of animals come right up to the house. Birds of course, but quolls every night, bandicoots, you name it. The wallabies and pademelons we fence out of all but about 5 acres, and the possum-free area is gradually getting bigger. And I'm sick of digging damn fence post holes!

If you are afraid of work, stay in the city. I like it. All else aside, it keeps me fit and I'll live a lot longer. Like you, I'd never go back.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:56 pm

Sounds perfect. I guess I look st the mess my sisters live in, to me they work long not smart, and hubby is a bit she be right, I’d want those zones.id want the picture book property. I’d love to have a couple off rescue ponies running around, and other animals, right now I just don’t have it in me. I’m tired. Sick of trying to meet impossible expectations, I just want to Walk on the beach, watch the sun rise and set, and wander with my camera and enjoy life.

Really looking forward to the footy Friday night, with junior of course! It’s been far too long!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:32 am

got yet another check list for our rental. on top of now mandatory yearly smoke alarm checks (which i had already signed on for) every second year gas appliance checks & plumbing checks, there is a checklist of standards. its 15 pages long! My property is up to standard. they threaten big fines if your not. the fees for the checks are quite hefty, so many will put the rent up. Obviously standards should be in place, they just should come with reasonably price accredited tradies to do the checks! And the Covid regs made life hard for some, I was lucky, when the tenant struggles I suggested fortnightly payments and it was all good, but I still had to add funds a couple of times. others not so lucky.

Im wondering just what this will do to the rental market? i dont care, im pushing hard to put it on the market asap, we are looking at finding a decent property down the coast, and im not quite ready to list either of our houses. this just gives me ammo, its all getting too hard, especially when some tenants dont give a shit and leave things too long and it costs more than it should.

hubby would like that 20 acres, im thinking a little smaller!! 5-10 is plenty!! 5fromthewing, your place would be worth a fortune now, friends in rockbank sold to a developer, and retired at 50! another in Werribee sold their farm for much more than it was worth before the subdividers got it through council.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: