Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

US election 2020

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you hope wins the US Election?
Trump
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Biden
39%
 39%  [ 9 ]
Don't Care
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tannin wrote:
Duh Stui. Here, I'll give you a free tutorial on the use of English to communicate stuff. No charge, be my guest.

When we have a really bad match - we drop marks, don't man up, kick it out on the full from straight in front, fumble, handball into traffic ... all those things a side does when it's having a bad hair day and, by rights ought to get thrashed, when that happens but the other side is even worse, people describe the result with a phrase like "We didn't win, St Kilda lost". It means "we didn't do enough to deserve the win, but we got it anyway", or similar.

Trump lost the popular vote, and lost it badly. He got fewer votes than the previous losing Republican. In any normal election, he would have been wiped completely out. But in 2016, there was an even worse candidate - Clinton. Democrats, the very same people who turned out to vote for Obama, and Obama before that, and Kerry and Gore, stayed at home in their hundreds of thousands. Trump didn't win. Clinton lost.

This is the lesson the Democrats have learned: don't put up a hated candidate, put up someone people will actually vote for. Don't put up someone half the party can't stand (e.g., Clinton, Sanders), put up someone everyone (bar a handful of extremist nutcases) can get behind. This is why they picked Biden. He is someone everyone can agree on. A unity candidate, and a very sensible choice.

(Disclaimer: personally, I wanted Warren. But that was never going to happen this time around. Maybe next time.)

OK, If you had said Trump didn't win the Democrats lost , I wouldn't argue even though I think that's incorrect. After 2 terms of one party the country is usually ready to swing the other way. Yes Hillary was as popular as a fart in an elevator but she also represented the establishment, and that's their problem moving forward.

I don't think Biden can or will beat Trump. He's the soft, safe choice that theoretically all the Democrats can get behind, that doesn't mean he's what the public want.

The public are sick of the status quo, career politicians, delivering same shit different arsehole, so they voted in a different arsehole to deliver different shit.

Now if Trump really goes off the rails in his second term, you may get an appetite for safety and a return to the good old days, which may be Warren although she'll be 74 then.

The brave choice would be to go for someone younger, not establishment, someone who can say "Trump has wrecked the joint. We need to fix it but not back to how it was, we're not going to restore we're going to renovate, make things better"

That aint Warren, it can't be Sanders. It may be AOC.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:09 pm

Wokko desperately trying to lie with statistics. Again.

Sigh.

As always - yes, every single time - when comparing proportions from different-sized populations, you look at the proportions. Not. repeat not, the raw numbers, which are meaningless.

Nobody believes those bulldust charts you copy-paste from alt-right nutjob sites, Wokko. You might as well give it up.

For our convenience, Jezza has provided correctly treated, spin-free figures.

Romney: 47.2%
Trump: 46.1%

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm

OK. How, exactly, would you define "really going off the rails"?

(In your answer, be aware that you have already effectively defined "not really off the rails" as starting a trade war you can't win, getting caught in foreign corruption over and over again, with numerous cronies, employees, and lackeys in either jail or out only because you pardoned them, insulting every other country you can think of, running an administration so dysfunctional that you have to sack someone very senior every single week, and being so blind to medical science as to kill 60,000 of your own citizens and still counting?)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:44 pm

Those things are all part of the plan to get re-elected.

Once he enters his second term when he doesn't need to think about re-election, the chains are off.

I'm not going to try to define other than to say when it happens, you'll know it and so will everyone else.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:51 pm

^

Blimey!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:58 pm

Mind you, the chances of Trump having a supine, obedient Senate to shield him are poor. We are looking, on the balance of probabilities, at a Democratic majority in both houses.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:07 pm

^

On balance, more likely than not, but not guaranteed.

That could have it's own impacts, if the house and senate gang up to stop him doing stuff he will go nuclear on Twitter and that could actually improve his approval and damage the Democrats heading to the 2024 election.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:48 pm

Tannin wrote:
Wokko desperately trying to lie with statistics. Again.

Sigh.

As always - yes, every single time - when comparing proportions from different-sized populations, you look at the proportions. Not. repeat not, the raw numbers, which are meaningless.

Nobody believes those bulldust charts you copy-paste from alt-right nutjob sites, Wokko. You might as well give it up.

For our convenience, Jezza has provided correctly treated, spin-free figures.

That's not fewer votes, that's a lower percentage of votes you specifically said and I quote "He got fewer votes than the previous losing Republican", not a lower percentage. Fewer.

fewer adj:

Of a smaller number: He said the same thing, but in fewer words.
Not to be confused with:
less – to a smaller extent, amount, or degree.

I don't know why you're obsessed with this, there were credible 3rd party candidates who took a high percentage of votes, as shown in the table I posted.

You're wrong and continuing to argue just makes you look like an idiot.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:10 pm

^ Meaningless semantic bulldust from a Fake News serial offender.

Deal with it.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:10 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ Meaningless semantic bulldust from a Fake News serial offender.

Deal with it.

The most ironic post you've ever made.

Trump: 62,979,636
Romney: 60,933,504

Which number is fewer?

Looks like you're quite happy to look like an idiot. Nobody except you cares about percentage of the vote, it's the most useless statistic in analysing this election that I've ever seen. You've had it spelled out simply and slowly why it's useless and you keep going. It's astounding in its stubborn stupidity.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:30 pm

It also doesn't matter as, in the electoral college system same as our electorate system, it doesn't matter how many votes you get, but where you get them.

In 2012 Obama got 332 electoral votes with 51.1% of the vote compared to Romney getting 206 electoral votes with 47.2% of the vote

In 2016, Trump got 304 electoral votes with his 46.1% of the vote and Hillary got 227 with 48.2%

So Hillary beat Romney, but Trump won the electoral votes. More than Hillary or Romney.

A few states go all in Democrats tips the popular vote toward Hillary but that's not how their or our system works

The percentage of registered voters who voted in 2018 was also slightly higher (0.8%) than 2012. I'll be very interested to see the results this time around.

I'm still tipping a Trump win but I'll also tip a voter turnout of 52% or less as I'm expecting an increased number going "I aint voting for either of them"

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 am

Joe Biden really just said:

"If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black."

https://www.facebook.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/videos/302725234063803/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:51 am

I watched that interview. It’s much worse than that out-of-context clip suggests.

See from 0:27 here (the host’s initial comment "you can’t do that to black media" followed one of Biden’s aides cutting in to stop him from answering a question about whether Biden would choose a black VP, incidentally):

https://youtu.be/QfZFyclAC5s

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:25 am

**** me!!! Did he just hand the election to Trump? That’s all half the count will remember!

And man I wish I took that photo

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:32 am

This could make the voting decision a lot harder for Trump’s core constituency (white, racist misogynists with IQs under 85 with no job who think the World owes them a living and that people who can read and write and count are the problem). There’s a genuine chance they won’t know which decrepit, white male bigot to vote for. I expect a lot of excess deaths from brain-bleeding in, eg, Wisconsin as a result.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 49 of 85   

Jump to: