Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Transgender politics and social issues

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing isn't about what's right and wrong.

Woman can and do drive Ford's F-150, but you wont see ads featuring woman.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:53 pm

this its the optics!
the can has a pic of the person with a moronic smile! anyone who thinks a redneck would be seen drinking it is nuts!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 9:31 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

What'sinaname, you should be well aware of this already. The entire conservative political apparatus is powered by rage generation. For all you know, you've just taken the bait and helped Bud achieve its objectives.

If Bud's objectives were decreased sales and a stock downgrade.......then.....

GREAT SUCCESS!!!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12068311/Bud-Light-sales-plunged-region-dropping-29-heartlands.html

Quote:

Sales in the Rocky Mountains have plummeted by 29 percent
The South Atlantic, West North Central and East South Central regions all fell 25 percent
Anheuser-Busch has had its stock downgraded by HSBC which says the brewing giant is in a 'crisis'

The Marketing VP that signed off this decision has taken a leave of absence.

I still wouldn't count your chickens yet. An intern could've predicted a backlash from the crazies, so I'm still sceptical. And they obviously knew about their own Republican donations.

Yes, as I say, it can go wrong (playing with fire — not a risk level or grubby tactic I'd get involved in, which is why FMCGs are not my thing), but are we sure Bud light sales in those states was the play? A fraction of a fraction? Because that's the data in that article. You won't know for quite a while yet if it was a more strategic play for visibility (= long lead), or say brand commitment in other states. I was looking at similar data yesterday in another context. These companies hire the same hacks who run political campaigns, and they too get it wrong sometimes. But they also get it right a lot, and if they're Republican donors they'd know their way around those numbers.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:39 pm

Quote:
It was about six weeks ago that Holly Lawford-Smith first noticed the posters and stickers around campus. ONLY A FASCIST TAKES ‘FEMINISM’, declared one, the message printed boldly atop the pink, blue and white stripes of the trans flag. Another named the associate professor of philosophy and urged a boycott of her second-year feminism class: ARE YOU ON THE SIDE OF THE FASCISTS?

Lawford-Smith, a self-described gender-critical feminist and author of a book by the same title, has grown used to being targeted by trans rights activists. A prolific writer and pugnacious tweeter who openly challenges the priority given to gender identity in public policy, she accepts that expressing these views invites opprobrium.

Interesting article I thought. The Uni walks a fine line between Academic Freedom and what Students (and other faculty) want.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/class-warfare-lecturer-targeted-by-trans-activists-over-rally-role-20230505-p5d5vr.html

In the article, one Trans person is quoted as saying there's nothing wrong with the course as such, but it shouldn't be taught by Lawford-Smith.

My simplistic view is that a university should foster diversity of opinions. If people don't like it, don't take the course but don't prevent it being taught or those who are interested in taking it.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:24 pm

^Yeah, let them have at it.

The only thing that matters and ever mattered is the quality of the teaching, which I can report is appalling on average now compared to what it was when I did in my undergraduate degree. And I'm talking supposedly top universities.

The lack of discipline of the lecturers, including a lack of detailed and disciplined preparation, is pathetic. I would fire 80% of them — not because of wayward or idiotic tweets, but because of substandard work.

It's a microcosm of the rest of society. Big mouthed know-nothings who think they can just turn up and babble away, or use the same slides or notes they created five years ago, or that their clever tweets constitute meaningful work, because some time in the past they were awarded a doctorate.

The standard has collapsed to the level of pay. Demand more and pay more, or the social gap is going to blow apart further because people won't even be able to go to uni to close the gap.

Meanwhile, so many jobs are no longer supervised by experienced hands-on managers, people can work for years and learn almost nothing. So, if young people can't go to uni to learn anything, and they can't learn anything at Starbucks because there are no experienced managers to learn from, where do they go to develop if they're not suited to trades?

It's a lot like housing affordability. Young people now can't afford to buy a house, and neither can they get a proper education, even though they pay more for uni than ever before. Both housing and education have been choked to death by the disgracefully selfish and greedy older generations who starved them both of funding.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 9:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
It was about six weeks ago that Holly Lawford-Smith first noticed the posters and stickers around campus. ONLY A FASCIST TAKES ‘FEMINISM’, declared one, the message printed boldly atop the pink, blue and white stripes of the trans flag. Another named the associate professor of philosophy and urged a boycott of her second-year feminism class: ARE YOU ON THE SIDE OF THE FASCISTS?

Lawford-Smith, a self-described gender-critical feminist and author of a book by the same title, has grown used to being targeted by trans rights activists. A prolific writer and pugnacious tweeter who openly challenges the priority given to gender identity in public policy, she accepts that expressing these views invites opprobrium.

Interesting article I thought. The Uni walks a fine line between Academic Freedom and what Students (and other faculty) want.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/class-warfare-lecturer-targeted-by-trans-activists-over-rally-role-20230505-p5d5vr.html

In the article, one Trans person is quoted as saying there's nothing wrong with the course as such, but it shouldn't be taught by Lawford-Smith.

My simplistic view is that a university should foster diversity of opinions. If people don't like it, don't take the course but don't prevent it being taught or those who are interested in taking it.

I guess it’s the same debate as when Sheila Jeffreys was still lecturing at University of Melbourne, except that Lawford-Smith gives her fundamentally likeminded politics the thin veneer of respectability offered by the "gender critical" label.

To be clear, I’m all for diversity of thought and ideas in universities, and everything to do with transgender identity should be a valid topic for critical discussion in that setting. But rather than focusing on intellectual critique of gender identity, people like Lawford-Smith tell on themselves by spending their time on Twitter fixating on tabloid scaremongering about rapists in women’s bathrooms. So complaining about vitriolic posters and stickers on campus aimed at an academic strikes me as a bit of a "can dish it out but can’t take it" mentality that flies in the face of the idea (and storied history) of universities as places of vigorous intellectual contestation. I wouldn’t expect Charles Murray to get a warm reception at most universities either.

The facts are that her job isn’t on the line, and nobody is stopping her from teaching what she wants to teach. The problem, according to the article, is that there are posters on campus calling her course fascist, naming her and pleading for students to not take her course. So this strikes me as typical TERF "crybully" behaviour from Lawford-Smith and her awful British allies: complaining about freedom of speech and academic freedom issues when nothing of the sort is under threat, accusing trans activists of being authoritarian for calling them names, yet retaining their soapbox unhindered.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Quote:

Yep. Agreed.

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:01 pm

This is getting ridiculous now:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-life/adidas-slammed-over-woke-swimsuit-male-model-decision/news-story/541793c940dbcc4568d37620700f52a4

If a company wants to use a non-binary or transgender model, put the items under a unisex heading not women's.

Plus it is using a skinny stick as a model.

FMD, if the advertisers are after controversy they certainly got it.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:36 pm

Well now who employed the Bud Light ad execs.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:05 pm

It is publicity-mongering and I can understand being puzzled by it – who knows why companies do half the things they do, at the end of the day? – but I do find the backlash from the people quoted in the article even weirder.

Who the hell sees something like this and, like the woman quoted in the article, immediately concludes that "women are being erased"!? Are there really not enough cis female swimsuit models out there for them to look at? And if they're as "feminist" as they claim to be, how is this even terrain that needs to be defended? This is what I mean by TERFs being crybullies.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:07 pm

^

You're male, as am I, the angst is seemingly coming from women. No CIS required, just natural born women. Neither you or I have the right to judge their opinions.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:46 pm

Well I for one won’t buy a swimsuit with crutch bulge!

Or is labia lip injections the new go to in cosmetic surgery!

And following the links:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cycling/insane-outrage-as-transgender-cyclist-wins-elite-tour-and-50k/news-story/a82dfa95edf30ff653de3e1dd8057dd9

Read the comments of the women who missed out on a place in the official team. Exactly what I have said all along.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:48 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

You're male, as am I, the angst is seemingly coming from women. No CIS required, just natural born women. Neither you or I have the right to judge their opinions.

Bravo and fuckinghell I totally detest that CIS shit!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:06 pm

^

A lesson that seems to be continually unlearned by many, if you want to gain acceptance into a tribe/club, insulting the current members ain't your best start.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:30 pm

The world's gone mad. Full on looped out.
Ya gota laugh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13   

Jump to: