Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

So who is our second most important player

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 7:46 pm
Post subject: So who is our second most important playerReply with quote

Just to clarify, I’m not talking about our second best player, I’m referring to the second most important ( structurally )
After Grundy, its the player whose unavailability diminishes our chances of winning against good opposition more than any other player.

I’m going with Moore. For mine, his current form is simply irreplaceable.

Feel free to cut loose
Cuthbert Collingwood Aquarius

Once was on fire, now all at sea

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought "Darcy" even before I saw that it was your pick too

He was have been the 50/50 gamble that would have netted us another GF had be played and NOT broken down. I still don't blame them for not selecting him

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:01 pm

1. Roughead - without him, we are a mess down back and way too small

2. Darcy - an amazing 8 games thus far and he's killing it as a roving defender. If Roughy goes down and he has tom lay the role as the key defender, he'll be far less effective

3. Cox - we need a genuine second ruck to support Grundy

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:41 pm

I disagree that it's a key back. We didn't have one for important periods of last season and still made the GF.

I agree Grundy is our most important. Lose Grundy and we have a serious issue as we don't have a quality first ruck to replace him, let alone one who's close to as good as he is. Cox is the replacement (could be a quality ruck if played there enough), but then we don't have Cox forward and have to rely on Reid (if fit), so we end up weakening two positions.

In my view we don't have a second most important player worth mentioning for structure, and that's a good thing. Lose one tall defender and we still have another with a number of mediums who can play tall or Goldsack and Mihocek as options. Structurally speaking there isn't an issue. Forward is more bare and relies on the fragile Reid if Cox went down. Losing Mihocek who plays more like a medium wouldn't be an issue in terms of structure, we'd get one of our many medium forwards to play the role.

If I were to name one player as our second most important, structurally, based on the above it would be Cox. We had some struggles when he missed last season and we didn't have Reid to call on. Have fared better this year with Reid as backup, but it's risky to rely on his continued availability. Our next best option is probably to go small and I don't see a huge problem with that but it's a decent sized change.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:04 am

Brodie Grundy
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:46 am

^If you think Grundy is our second-most important, who do you think is the first?
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:22 am

Grundy and JDG are on a par as our most important. Coincidentally, they are the 2 opposition clubs would pay over $1mill/year to poach from us.

When our midfield is down, we throw Jordy into the middle. He takes 2 or 3 players to bring him down in the tackle, creating openings elsewhere. The kid is a star, could be anything if he wants to.
Both his goals he made out of nothing. There was that pass on his left out of the centre clearance that hit the leading forward perfectly (forgot which forward...might have been Billy). We don't win without him against the Blues..simple as that.
E 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:01 am

bally12 wrote:
Grundy and JDG are on a par as our most important. Coincidentally, they are the 2 opposition clubs would pay over $1mill/year to poach from us.

When our midfield is down, we throw Jordy into the middle. He takes 2 or 3 players to bring him down in the tackle, creating openings elsewhere. The kid is a star, could be anything if he wants to.
Both his goals he made out of nothing. There was that pass on his left out of the centre clearance that hit the leading forward perfectly (forgot which forward...might have been Billy). We don't win without him against the Blues..simple as that.

i have written this before, but it bears repeating. Before Jordan was known to us as the star he is now and Josh Thomas was serving his suspension, he was doing personal training in Brisbane. He told my brother in law that Jordan DeGoey was far and away the best footballer he had ever seen.

On the weekend, Wayne Carey compared him to Gary Ablett Snr. He has that kind of ability. In fact i havent seen anyone able to do what Jordan does just with a shrug of his shoulders since Gary Ablett Snr retiured. He is a total freak. His strength and balance is amazing.

When he is in the middle, Grundy just drops it in the area of DeGoey who hits the ball at pace, and he almost always gets the ball meaning its either a clearance for us or another stoppage (as often three people grab him as soon as he hits the ball).

All of this is to say that I agree with your sentiments entirely Bally.

Grundy, Sidey, Pendles, Adams and Treloar make us a very, very good team, but DeGoey is the guy who gives us a legit shot at winning a premiership.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 5:58 am

Grundy then Moore, after that I believe its debatable - you could say DeGoey but I don't think this is specifically structural.

The 1st two are no brainers, in that order.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 8:26 am

bally12 wrote:

This and what E says. Two guys got us into a grand final last year. One gets it out of the centre. The other finishes the job off. If the Adams kick in the last quarter in the grand final hadn’t gone astray, De Goey would be a premiership hero. The fact that we didn’t win it doesn’t reflect on these two guys. They can’t do it all. Stopping goals in your defensive half of the ground and transition from the back half and delivery into the forward half, is all a team effort.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:04 am

Steele Sidebottom
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 9:40 am

E wrote:
bally12 wrote:

i have written this before, but it bears repeating. Before Jordan was known to us as the star he is now and Josh Thomas was serving his suspension, he was doing personal training in Brisbane. He told my brother in law that Jordan DeGoey was far and away the best footballer he had ever seen.

On the weekend, Wayne Carey compared him to Gary Ablett Snr. He has that kind of ability. In fact i havent seen anyone able to do what Jordan does just with a shrug of his shoulders since Gary Ablett Snr retiured. He is a total freak. His strength and balance is amazing.

When he is in the middle, Grundy just drops it in the area of DeGoey who hits the ball at pace, and he almost always gets the ball meaning its either a clearance for us or another stoppage (as often three people grab him as soon as he hits the ball).

All of this is to say that I agree with your sentiments entirely Bally.

Grundy, Sidey, Pendles, Adams and Treloar make us a very, very good team, but DeGoey is the guy who gives us a legit shot at winning a premiership.

For me, when I was thinking about the topic, it was either Moore or DeGoey.
Obviously the importance of DeGoeys flexibility and impact is very significant.
In the end, I felt DeGoeys impact on the scoreboard could be replaced ( albeit obviously a lesser player ) and his mid field minutes could be shared amongst other very good footballers.
The absence of Moore seems more problematic to me. Everyone seems to think he is playing A A footy at the moment and I don’t see how anyone on our list could go close to filling those shoes.

If nothing else, it’s interesting to see how other posters view a players importance to the team.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 am

Jarryd Blair.

Without him this season, (some) Nicksters appear lost as to who the resident whipping boy is, unfairly spouting their criticism to whomever (according to recency bias) has in their views under-performed and/or contributed to the opposition being closer than the expected 10 goal margin at games end.
leonmagic Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Not sure if he’s our second most valuable as such, but it’s always very noticeable when Adams is out.

Could argue any of Brodie, Adams, JDG, Moore, Howe or Crisp have aspects that are hard to replace.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 2:00 pm

leonmagic wrote:
Not sure if he’s our second most valuable as such, but it’s always very noticeable when Adams is out.

Could argue any of Brodie, Adams, JDG, Moore, Howe or Crisp have aspects that are hard to replace.

Agree. We look a lot better structured through the middle with the grunt of Adams, can't wait for his return.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: