Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pip Dogs. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Magpietothemax wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I think people forget we played off in the GF last year and our early season form now nearly mirrors 2018
Facts are Howe is way underdone as is Treloar after injury hampered there preseasons
Pendles is a year older and showing some little signs of slowing down in some areas but still worth his weight in gold when the pressure is really on. His last quarter last night was very good. In 1 passage of play he touched it 4 times including twice inside our defensive 50 then at the back of the square then 65m from goal
Sidey is coming off a career best year and other than the GF when he was beaten very badly his form in 2018 was sensational. I predicted in the preseason he would get more attention from opposition and that's what's happening most weeks. He's playing more outside but being bodied a lot more around the ground and made work harder for his touches
Roughhead is going nicely but still working into our system
Phillips kicking really needs to improve before he gets the accolades some give him already
I think we need to change our set up around a little
Cox biggest strength is when he can run and jump at it
He's starting more at CHF I would put him out of goal square and clear everything in front of him and have Stephenson and Elliott work back towards him when ball is in flight
Elliott as our deepest forward isn't the right set up neither is playing Stephenson right up the ground.
In defence our kicking has been ordinary
Howe will improve but you can see there is a dicrective or lack or trust in Langdon. He seems to be on the not to kick list and if you dont believe it have a look at his meters gained
His kick are generally sideways or backwards he isnt trusted kicking up the ground. Getting 15-20 tocuhes and going for around 100m tells the story when all other defenders are 300m+ with the same amount of disposals
Moore is a elite kick most of the time and he seems to be used as the player to get the ball out of danger and set up play
I would like to see us run and carry the ball to break lines more as well
Apparently Wells went very good in the seconds so he might earn a spot in coming weeks to add some class
We are 2-2 and the next 4 weeks we have winnable games if we can improve on our recent form
Next week is interesting as the lions load up with quick players so we need to be mindful of that at the selection table

Qld Magpie: agree absolutely that having Stephenson up the ground is wrong. Moving Stephenson forward was an essential part of how we overpowered the WB. Agree also that Cox should be playing back in the goal square far more often, and we should more systematically be kicking so that he can run at it, with Elliott and Stephenson to gobble up the crumbs when Cox brings it to ground (if he doesn't mark it). As for your criticism of Langdon: honestly, I know it is to create a reaction from someone, and I am therefore doing exactly what you want...but whatever faults you want to find, you cannot deny just how brilliant his intercept marking is, and how he reads the play in defence. I am very, very happy to have Tom Langdon in defence. He is a future legend.

My understanding is that with rotations the club tries to get 85% for most players be it in a game or over the season. Everygame that Elliott and Darcy get through the better but I think playing forward seems to be more brutal on the body than playing back but we have had Jamie out of the square, Jordan out of the square and I agree Coxy out of the square looks great but we do need to mix it up I would like to see Pendles start / rest out of the square.

Whilst footy looks a simple game it isn't (I think) Coxy is still learning our game but his contest and marking up the ground in the last on Friday was crucial, but as was his contest in the goal square in the last on Friday night as well. But two of Cox's 1 % on Friday in the last was also fantastic, the smother and the shepherd to allow Stevo's left snap were also crucial.

Stevo needs to learn different aspects of the game and we need to remember he was a mid in the under 18's

If we get to 6/5 after 11 games that is fine 7/4 is really good and 8/3 would be extyraordinary but I hope wee wake on Good Friday 3/2

Floreat Pica but Yes Grundy will need a rest at some stage

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:42 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
I think people forget we played off in the GF last year and our early season form now nearly mirrors 2018
Facts are Howe is way underdone as is Treloar after injury hampered there preseasons
Pendles is a year older and showing some little signs of slowing down in some areas but still worth his weight in gold when the pressure is really on. His last quarter last night was very good. In 1 passage of play he touched it 4 times including twice inside our defensive 50 then at the back of the square then 65m from goal
Sidey is coming off a career best year and other than the GF when he was beaten very badly his form in 2018 was sensational. I predicted in the preseason he would get more attention from opposition and that's what's happening most weeks. He's playing more outside but being bodied a lot more around the ground and made work harder for his touches
Roughhead is going nicely but still working into our system
Phillips kicking really needs to improve before he gets the accolades some give him already
I think we need to change our set up around a little
Cox biggest strength is when he can run and jump at it
He's starting more at CHF I would put him out of goal square and clear everything in front of him and have Stephenson and Elliott work back towards him when ball is in flight
Elliott as our deepest forward isn't the right set up neither is playing Stephenson right up the ground.
In defence our kicking has been ordinary
Howe will improve but you can see there is a dicrective or lack or trust in Langdon. He seems to be on the not to kick list and if you dont believe it have a look at his meters gained
His kick are generally sideways or backwards he isnt trusted kicking up the ground. Getting 15-20 tocuhes and going for around 100m tells the story when all other defenders are 300m+ with the same amount of disposals
Moore is a elite kick most of the time and he seems to be used as the player to get the ball out of danger and set up play
I would like to see us run and carry the ball to break lines more as well
Apparently Wells went very good in the seconds so he might earn a spot in coming weeks to add some class
We are 2-2 and the next 4 weeks we have winnable games if we can improve on our recent form
Next week is interesting as the lions load up with quick players so we need to be mindful of that at the selection table

Qld Magpie: agree absolutely that having Stephenson up the ground is wrong. Moving Stephenson forward was an essential part of how we overpowered the WB. Agree also that Cox should be playing back in the goal square far more often, and we should more systematically be kicking so that he can run at it, with Elliott and Stephenson to gobble up the crumbs when Cox brings it to ground (if he doesn't mark it). As for your criticism of Langdon: honestly, I know it is to create a reaction from someone, and I am therefore doing exactly what you want...but whatever faults you want to find, you cannot deny just how brilliant his intercept marking is, and how he reads the play in defence. I am very, very happy to have Tom Langdon in defence. He is a future legend.

I get the “ leave Stephenson forward “ thinking but it’s actually stifling his career and development if we don’t get him into the position he was recruited to play in. I’m ok with Stephenson having spells deep in the forward line but clubs don’t invest pick 6 on small stay at home forwards.
He made his mark in the last season of TAC cup as an outside mid and dominated in that position in the U18 championships.
I’m sure the club will monitor his heart and physical development accordingly but you can guarantee the club has plans to get him up the ground as quick as possible to use his skills to set up just as many goals as he would kick anyway. He does look a lost in the mid field at the moment but the sooner he learns the craft, the sooner we start comparing to P Matera.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:30 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
He does look a lost in the mid field at the moment but the sooner he learns the craft, the sooner we start comparing to P Matera.

http://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?p=1833473#1833473
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:34 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
We have WHE to come back. I think the addition of WHE to our forward configuration will be brilliant. That extra pace and marking talent up forward will create very complex issues for opposition defences. ... I think his return to us is actually more important than the return of Nicnat to them... I really don't think he is as damaging as his size and athleticism would suggest. I think the return of Gaff was more important to them.

WHE is extremely important. He was easily the club's best forward before his injury against Essendon. Just hope nothing went wrong with the ITB release.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Geek wrote:
K wrote:
WC did not beat the Fyfe-less Freo by a lot, so our poor game against WC is looking a little poorer.

And the Eagles are looking a lot more beatable.
We just haven't worked them out yet.

Don't really believe that you can base your assessment of how we went against them by comparing it to how they go against the next team. Such analysis is generally very flawed.

People here like doing the opposite: Claiming every week that the oppo is so great and had so many advantages. You can't make strong claims about form from anything, but the way WC played against Bris and Freo doesn't suggest they are in great form. They played badly before and after playing us (but did have the usual home-ground win as well).

The strangest excuse in the past month was "we are a month behind everyone else because we made the GF". True for the Dogs, but not for the other three.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:47 pm

Loved seeing Mason pat Daniel on the head.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:51 pm

^ Mason should be grateful that, after JdG missed the simple set shot, Daniel didn't go and pat him on the bum.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:43 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Geek wrote:
K wrote:
WC did not beat the Fyfe-less Freo by a lot, so our poor game against WC is looking a little poorer.

And the Eagles are looking a lot more beatable.

We just haven't worked them out yet.

Don't really believe that you can base your assessment of how we went against them by comparing it to how they go against the next team. Such analysis is generally very flawed.

Read what I wrote again.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:39 pm

Interesting that Flip got 5 from the coaches... The Bont got 9.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:03 am

Craig Little on the Guardian summed up the game pretty well:

"On Friday night, the otherwise excitable Collingwood featured in one of the more dour prime-time games at the MCG, beating the Western Bulldogs the way a sinkhole devours a house: slowly, then all at once."
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:35 am

"Excitable"??? Should we feel insulted?
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 pm

Woods wrote:
beating the Western Bulldogs the way a sinkhole devours a house: slowly, then all at once."

Laughing Laughing I really like that analogy. Very funny I reckon.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:00 pm

Pies2016 wrote:

I get the “ leave Stephenson forward “ thinking but it’s actually stifling his career and development if we don’t get him into the position he was recruited to play in. I’m ok with Stephenson having spells deep in the forward line but clubs don’t invest pick 6 on small stay at home forwards.
He made his mark in the last season of TAC cup as an outside mid and dominated in that position in the U18 championships.
I’m sure the club will monitor his heart and physical development accordingly but you can guarantee the club has plans to get him up the ground as quick as possible to use his skills to set up just as many goals as he would kick anyway. He does look a lost in the mid field at the moment but the sooner he learns the craft, the sooner we start comparing to P Matera.

Hmmmm.... I don't think I agree that "sooner is better". Not sure that it's better for his career, when it is still so much in its infancy. A little burst up the ground now and then, but not for the majority of the game. He's still too frail in the body IMHO to be taking all the body blows, tackling and trying to run his guts out, all at the same time. Plenty of time for him to develop his mid-field skills yet.

Plus, I think it's better for the team if he stays mostly in the forward half.
I believe we got the mix right in the last quarter against the Doggies. JDG in the middle and Stevo and Billy beside big Mason in the forward line.
I realize that JDG hasn't got the required fitness to do a lot in the middle as yet, but those changes swung the game for us. Anyway, it's comforting to know that such a switch can be implemented "in case of emergency".
E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 am

K wrote:
"Excitable"??? Should we feel insulted?

pretty sure he means our style of play is generally pretty exciting.

I do agree that we have been unbelievably dour this year, but i think it has been shown to be the better footy (for wining). Our brand of footy is exhausting. I reckon this new brand of footy, players could play three games a week and still have energy to burn.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:46 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:

Hmmmm.... I don't think I agree that "sooner is better". Not sure that it's better for his career, when it is still so much in its infancy. A little burst up the ground now and then, but not for the majority of the game. He's still too frail in the body IMHO to be taking all the body blows, tackling and trying to run his guts out, all at the same time. Plenty of time for him to develop his mid-field skills yet.

Plus, I think it's better for the team if he stays mostly in the forward half.
I believe we got the mix right in the last quarter against the Doggies. JDG in the middle and Stevo and Billy beside big Mason in the forward line.
I realize that JDG hasn't got the required fitness to do a lot in the middle as yet, but those changes swung the game for us. Anyway, it's comforting to know that such a switch can be implemented "in case of emergency".

JDG into the imddle in the last changed the game. don't use him unless you need him, but boy, he's a handy weapon to throw in there when the game is on the line and the other mids are cooked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9   

Jump to: