Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The New ALP Federal Government

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:05 pm
Post subject: The New ALP Federal GovernmentReply with quote

One obvious place to start is China's recent overtures to the Pacific Islands, which potentially rolls party differences on international relations, climate change and tensions with China into a single flashpoint.

Here's the BBC today:

Quote:
Have China's Pacific ambitions been thwarted?

"China's Foreign Affairs Minister Wang Yi has been on a marathon tour across the Pacific Islands - his visit was a sign of Beijing's willingness to close a sweeping trade and security deal with 10 countries in the region.

The ambitious deal - which covered a wide range of issues, from cybersecurity to a Chinese-funded police training academy and setting up more Chinese cultural links across the Pacific nations - was meant to tie the region much closer to Beijing.

But it was revealed this week that the deal had been shelved after many of the countries declined to sign, expressing concerns over certain aspects of the agreement."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61669954

And a few days ago:

Quote:
Why Australia is declaring a 'new era' in the Pacific

"You claim the Pacific Islands are your brothers and sisters, and then look away when your brothers and sisters are having trouble," says Reverend Alimoni Taumoepeau, a Tongan Australian church leader in Sydney.

"The key aggravator, some say, has been the reluctance of previous governments in Australia to act on climate change."

"While Australia's working relationships have remained strong, its image has been badly tarnished thanks to its stance on climate change, say some analysts."

"The trip came as China had earlier this year signed a broad security pact with the Solomon Islands, sparking fears of greater Chinese influence in the region, and a prospect of a possible Chinese military base."

"The Albanese government says the situation is evidence its predecessor 'dropped the ball' in the Pacific, leaving the door open for Beijing to threaten Australia's national security."

"'There'll be a lot of continuity. There's an essential bipartisanship in a lot of the way that Australian governments approach the region."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61669954

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Albo and his mob are well and truly still in the honeymoon period. They're largely making the right noises, let's do the old 100 day test and see how they're travelling once they have to start doing more than diplomatic junkets.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:06 am

Agreed. Feels a lot like just after Biden took office last year: some reasons to be cautiously optimistic, perhaps even some unexpectedly positive signs, but a nagging feeling that it's all going to get pretty depressing pretty soon. That certainly ended up being the case over there, but I guess a big difference here is that, unlike Biden, Albanese will actually be able to get (at least most of) his agenda through when the new senate terms begin next month.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:19 am

Although you can already see them making excuses for why they can't deliver on their promises. It's almost like you can say anything you like in opposition but the reality of actually implementing them responsibly is so much tougher.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:29 am

Well, Albo won't have that problem considering how little he actually promised.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:23 am

What's your sense of the chance of progress on climate change-related policy? As conservative as Australia is, I got the impression that Morrison and co. hemmed in the Glibs to the point they were behind public opinion on things like green tech investment and the policy to help it scale.

My main interest is socioeconomic stability and the adaptation needed to maintain it, particularly through industrial policy, decent jobs and careers, affordability, and so on, but also through the minimisation of extreme voices. So, as a first step I'm pleased to see some of the uglier and dimmer voices quietened for a bit.

People need something achievable to aim for through decent work, whether be through skilled trades, skills in demand tech industries, on-the-job training, and so on. But the policy and infrastructure has to facilitate it, so I'm curious if the ALP has any handle on this beyond vague mutterings.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:40 am

This seems like a decent run-down, PTID:

https://www.carbonbrief.org/qa-what-does-the-new-australian-labor-government-mean-for-climate-change/

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:53 pm

^Quality info.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:08 pm

Without going off topic, and I've probably had this conversation before, but with renewable energy, can someone explain to me why Pumped Hydro is even an option?

To my understanding of how it works is that its a net consumer of energy not a net producer and the benefit is basically an accounting trick,

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:12 pm

^I think the problems are much more about site suitability than energy efficiency. The infamous examples probably involve putting dams in the wrong place, stealing land, choking off rivers, causing flood risk, etc. Perhaps the cost is where the accounting trick comes into it?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:58 am

Nah, my understanding is pumped hydro is using stored energy that was generated off peak when it's cheap to pump water uphill so it comes back down through turbines generating more energy at peak times.

You cannot create more energy in that process than you consume, that would defy physics, so it's a net consumer of energy. The accouting trick is you're using "cheap" energy to create less but more expensive energy.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:31 am

^Oh, I see. I didn't know there was pumped hydro as a standalone solution. I was imagining it being fed but with load balancing as you describe.

Then again, load balancing alone is still vital, isn't it, given peak usage is one of the main difficulties of managing a grid?

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:50 am

Valid point, i hadn't considered that
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:23 pm

Back on topic, very early days, but Kneesy has surprised the hell out of me. So far he seems to be on track to be the first PM to be actually competent since Howard.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Back on topic, very early days, but Kneesy has surprised the hell out of me. So far he seems to be on track to be the first PM to be actually competent since Howard.

Nearly choked on my keto dinner: Howard competent. The tax minimisers god. Allowed millionaires to use superannuation to minimise tax, set the benchmark for Government’s lying: children overboard. Used racism to wedge in politics & set the mendacious tone for Abbott and Morrison in our treatment of refugees.

He did three things really well though:

1. Gun buyback etc.
2. East Timor
3. Lose his seat in his last (and lost) election.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: