Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies lose to Tigers. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Piesnchess wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
It's not Buck's fault that he continually has to find ways to cover the loss of pivotal players.
I'm amazed that so many here don't seem to understand the mechanics of the devastating effects of injuries. The spotlight, if any, should go on the conditioning staff and recruiting people.

Sure like to see how any other team would go with 11 senior players out, the Tigers were ratshit some weeks ago, when they were strickien by mass injuries. As Barassi said " Key injuries are not an excuse, they are a reason " Confused

Amazing how quickly it turns around when you get a few key players back, hey? If we had just Greenwood and Moore playing tonight, totally different story.

As for our intensity and lack of pressure... yeah, having so many key players out can sap your confidence in the team's ability to win the game. It's a vicious circle.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:00 am

Hard to find many positives tonight. I think we actually played better against GWS.

Some bright spots:
Hoskin-Elliott and Thomas finally finding some of last year’s form
Quaynor taking the game on
Howe, pretty much the only player able to hold his ground back there after Roughead went down
Crocker did some good things, not sure if enough to hold his spot though

Bad points:
Roughead going down. Our defence is decimated, just like last year; half expect us to have to redraft Oxley just to fill a space
Scharenberg handballing 5m to guys under pressure
Treloar’s bombs to no-one in particular (though he was good in other respects tonight)
Sidebottom’s constant brain fades
Cox – just a liability; not quick enough to man up and not offering much the other way
Varcoe, Daicos, Scharenberg, Elliott, Brown, Cox and maybe Crocker – all probably should be dropped on that effort. But who comes in?

Last edited by David on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:02 am; edited 2 times in total
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:00 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
I saw one person at the ground tonight who epitomized what being a loyal Collingwood supporter is all about. That bloke with the long dark hair and beard, who get ups and bravely waves his flag every time the Pies kick a goal. His love for the Pies must be totally unconditional. Laughing

He loves the club, the same way a pet loves you; they just love your guts despite how much you torment them. Laughing

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
It's not Buck's fault that he continually has to find ways to cover the loss of pivotal players.
I'm amazed that so many here don't seem to understand the mechanics of the devastating effects of injuries. The spotlight, if any, should go on the conditioning staff and recruiting people.

I understand the impact of devastating injuries, which is why i expected a loss tonight. What I didn't expect to see was the lack of intensity on the contest and total lack of pressure on the ball carrier through the corridor. So many times, they sliced us through the centre like a knife through butter. I did not expect to see that, even with an inferior skill set due to injury. I expected a response after last week. That is why I am so devastated...not the loss itself.
Exactly. Winning is important of course, you have to get the points on the board, but the way you win or lose is what you inevitably take into September. What do you do consistently? When you win do intimidate and crush the opposition or do you half arse for 3 qtrs and then scrape over the line. When you lose do you allow yourself to be blown out of the water nice and early or do you always fight to the death, never ever allowing yourselves to fall out of the contest? This is what you take with you.

MONCO: Your life.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:02 am

Nuss wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

I understand the impact of devastating injuries, which is why i expected a loss tonight. What I didn't expect to see was the lack of intensity on the contest and total lack of pressure on the ball carrier through the corridor. So many times, they sliced us through the centre like a knife through butter. I did not expect to see that, even with an inferior skill set due to injury. I expected a response after last week. That is why I am so devastated...not the loss itself.

This

It's a lack of confidence in team mates who are only there because there's no one else to pick from the VFL. And those players have a lack of confidence because no one is getting around them. THat's on the players, they need to get around each other like they did when Crocker kicked a goal -- the only time I can recall from tonight where they showed some team spirit in that regard.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:02 am

Magpietothemax wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Well, it was also selection, as we've already talked about. I'd bet the likes of Josh Daicos, Josh Thomas and Crocker all tried very hard, but they should never been on the ground in the first place. Even my Schazza looked out of his depth, but the Richmond forwards were given excellent delivery. Flip is also out of form and doubt he would be playing if there was someone with better form (Tyler Brown?). Varcs is also up against father time, which is sad.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:04 am

piedys wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
I saw one person at the ground tonight who epitomized what being a loyal Collingwood supporter is all about. That bloke with the long dark hair and beard, who get ups and bravely waves his flag every time the Pies kick a goal. His love for the Pies must be totally unconditional. Laughing

He loves the club, the same way a pet loves you; they just love your guts despite how much you torment them. Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 am

Thank God for the Beachboys next week, If we don't come out literally breathing fire for this one, we don't deserve to play Finals, and that's it.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:11 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Well, it was also selection, as we've already talked about. I'd bet the likes of Josh Daicos, Josh Thomas and Crocker all tried very hard, but they should never been on the ground in the first place. Even my Schazza looked out of his depth, but the Richmond forwards were given excellent delivery. Flip is also out of form and doubt he would be playing if there was someone with better form (Tyler Brown?). Varcs is also up against father time, which is sad.

PP, sadly, it was not really about poor selection. Definitely, the club should explain why Wills was overlooked for Crocker. Many of us predicted that this would be horrible error, which was borne out tonight.
But even had Wills been selected, the result would not have been much different, due to the total lack of pressure and will to run that we saw tonight. Excuses for that are impermissible, because other teams, at the same time of the year, are able to produce much higher levels of intensity and running power. It is not even a question of pace, so much as ability to anticipate where the ball is likely to go, and then the will to run. We lacked that in spades tonight. And not just our stop gap players...But many who last year played in a GF.
While I think our selections were insane, I also think that there is something else deeply amiss, relating not to injuries, but (afraid to say it) something else.

inxs88 

Post subject: Ben Crocker for Taylor Adams?Reply with quote

This might have to be the worst substitute since Clooney came in for Kilmer in Batman & Robin!

You'll have to live with this selection Nathan!

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

Mr Miyagi wrote:

It's a lack of confidence in team mates who are only there because there's no one else to pick from the VFL. And those players have a lack of confidence because no one is getting around them. THat's on the players, they need to get around each other like they did when Crocker kicked a goal -- the only time I can recall from tonight where they showed some team spirit in that regard.

Absolutely correct IMHO. I think Jamie got some congrats when he kicked his first goal in ages too, but as was mentioned in the game thread, the player's emotional and physical support of each other has gone missing. During one play, I saw Callum Brown shepherding for his team mate and i was impressed, as it was about the only time I saw it all night.

It's a mental attitude (and I've several theories about why this is, which I won't bore anyone else with!). Bucks should tell them that this week, if anyone does anything that represents good play, the rest of the team has to go nuts over it!!! Smile
shawthing Virgo

Piesnchess wrote:
shawthing wrote:
Quote:
32 in the end FMD!

Don't be fooled. Richmond were toying with us. Taking it easy on a wet night slog. We didn't play any better in the second half really.

Treloar 39 disposals. Says it all really. He had more than Dustin Martin, but who would you rather have playing for you? Dylan Grimes showed us what a true defender can do. Murdered us.

On form more than half the side tonight should be omitted. BTW the Tigers VFL team is on top of the ladder as well. That's what real depth at a club looks like. We haven't had it in God knows how many years. I give up.

Disagree the tigers had the chance to smash us by 80+ points, and failed take away 2 umpiring shit goals to them and it aint so great at all, they failed to smash us, despite having a fully fit team, aside from rance, and blew it, If I was a tiger fan, id be a bit miffed the did not destroy us, giving the face we had 11 senior players out. We lost by exactly the margin I thougt we would, given our outs. Im not happy by any means, but we did not get flogged and should have. Its exactly the scoreline I envisaged all along. Surprised

No they so disrespected us they pulled Cochin from the game after 20 minutes as a precaution for a hamstring strain. Knew they could get though one man down all night. Yes we lost Roughy at the half, but by then Richmond had all but put the cue in the rack. They know there are more important fish to fry in September.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:14 am
Post subject: Re: Ben Crocker for Taylor Adams?Reply with quote

inxs88 wrote:
This might have to be the worst substitute since Clooney came in for Kilmer in Batman & Robin!

You'll have to live with this selection Nathan!

Wills smashed it last week in the VFL.
But lets bring in Crocker.
Seriously a bad decision.
But hey it was obvious that the midfield sucked.
But lets replace a midfielder with an ordinary forward.
My dog could have chosen better.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:15 am

Magpietothemax wrote:

While I think our selections were insane, I also think that there is something else deeply amiss, relating not to injuries, but (afraid to say it) something else.

Selection - as well as Wills, we should have had Goldy in also.

However, as you say, we probably still wouldn't have won regardless. It's all between the ears MTTM.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:16 am

shawthing wrote:
No they so disrespected us they pulled Cochin from the game after 20 minutes as a precaution for a hamstring strain. Knew they could get though one man down all night. Yes we lost Roughy at the half, but by then Richmond had all but put the cue in the rack. They know there are more important fish to fry in September.

Agree. They knew that there was no way we could challenge them, so withdrew Cotchin as a precautionary measure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13   

Jump to: