Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Suns. All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

bally12 wrote:
Pendles and Treloar goaling on the run from 50 is the kind of stuff we need more of. Do this, and suddenly our mids look formidable again.
I've been critical of Wills previously because of how slow he is in open play, but his inside work in the clearances was important. I think we keep him in the side just for that, seeingi it's one of our biggest weaknesses.

As someone else pointed out, Wills and Adams on the inside allowed Pendles and Treloar out into space more often.

We had been robbing Peter to pay Paul with WHE up the ground and Crisp on ball but putting them back in their rightful positions helped too.
Also Daicos spent plenty of time on the wing ( and played ok ) so that freed Sidebottom to a more forward of centre role.
G C S are on the bottom for a reason but you can’t do anymore than beat up on the side you play.
All it means is that we still have plenty of work to do against the better teams.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Loved Steele at half-forward. And I loved Dew not putting anyone on Treloar in the first quarter, that was magic to watch him sprint forward from the centre, kick goals, and set them up. Haven't seen that in a long time. Good to see my man WHE more settled in his usual forward role too.

And did I miss something, is Nicks's Adz the real Adz (Adam Treloar)?
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Mayne is A-ok.

And thank God for that. Boy I was worried for a few minutes there at the end. Only Cox injured today, so our stocks went up. All the ins played well I thought. Very pleased with Wills' output too.

As others have said, it was the win we needed to have, and a nice little percentage booster as well. Will give the boys some confidence. Great to see Grundy back to his usual form. Pendles superb. Even Treloar (usually my whipping boy) was spot on today with his kicking. I thought the backline was superb, especially Jeremy Howe returning to some form.

The Gold Coast Suns are an absolute joke though. I know they nearly beat Essendon, but that was because the Bombers were in terrible form (look how they were thrashed by Port this week). We'll take the 4 points and percentage, but that's all, because in reality the Suns are not even an AFL standard side. Seriously, they'd be beaten by most VFL, WAFL or SANFL teams. I can't see how Stewart Dew survives the year. Their list is weak but their game style is simply awful. They should be wound up and the money spent by the AFL keeping them alive should go into a Tasmanian team. Then we'd have a real national competition.

Very happy with today. Very Happy
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:34 pm

Quote:
I've been critical of Wills previously because of how slow he is in open play, but his inside work in the clearances was important.

And, unless my eyes deceived me, he also plays back-up ruck.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 pm

I like the hard inside combo work of Adams and Wills
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 pm

I love the sight of all black & white fans in the food store during the half time.
shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Obviously we had a big win today because Nicks is like a ghost town again. Laughing

The psychology of Collingwood supporters is something that even Freud and Jung could NEVER have understood. Why do our supporters get motivated by loses and our tragic history of losing the big ones, and can't get excited by a lovely win like today's? Rolling Eyes (I'll use the eye roll emoticon because I can't find one with a shake of the head Laughing ).
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:17 pm

I watched it on TV, and to my eyes, the big improvement came from our centre clearance work, which started regularly thru the hard in and under work of Wills. This was the first game I can recall all year where we had a real physical presence at stoppages.

I know he is 3rds love child, but today Rupert deserves a special mention for a stellar performance. He did far more today than the Panda has given us all year. Even when/if JDG, Moore and Stephenson come back in, Wills deserves to keep his spot.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:35 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I watched it on TV, and to my eyes, the big improvement came from our centre clearance work, which started regularly thru the hard in and under work of Wills. This was the first game I can recall all year where we had a real physical presence at stoppages.

I know he is 3rds love child, but today Rupert deserves a special mention for a stellar performance. He did far more today than the Panda has given us all year. Even when/if JDG, Moore and Stephenson come back in, Wills deserves to keep his spot.

I too watched it on Foxtel, and I dare say that most likely would of missed his grunt work if I was at the game. Easy to miss the in tight work at the ground, but stood out on TV.

First time I actually took notice of Wills.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 pm

You are right Rude. Wills was just getting the ball, big body, hard frame, bash and crash. Adams will be better for the run, when we have two blokes in there getting the pill we actually benefit from Grundy's small touches way more than we one of our Ferraris have to get it. Was at the game, and saw him lift our mids. Reg is amazing, doesn't win the tap, tackles their mid to the ground, or grabs it and takes off. Gets smashed, often by friendly fire. Gets up, goes again.

Melbourne will test us more. If you think the Suns are not AFL standard I think you are dreaming. They would slaughter any team not in the AFL. They ran at us hard for two quarters and have talent everywhere. Just no cohesion and soul.

Adz 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:39 pm

shawthing wrote:
Obviously we had a big win today because Nicks is like a ghost town again. :lol:

The psychology of Collingwood supporters is something that even Freud and Jung could NEVER have understood. Why do our supporters get motivated by loses and our tragic history of losing the big ones, and can't get excited by a lovely win like today's? :roll: (I'll use the eye roll emoticon because I can't find one with a shake of the head :lol: ).

Because today’s victory means nothing.

Fans were excited from rounds 1-10 but then we sucked

I’m not convinced we’ve turned a corner and give Melb every chance of knocking us off next week. We haven’t won 2 in a row since June.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:40 pm

shawthing wrote:
... Why do our supporters get motivated by loses and our tragic history of losing the big ones, and can't get excited by a lovely win like today's? Rolling Eyes

I think "lovely win" is pushing it a bit. It's the bottom team at the MCG, with Witts injured. At this stage, any win is a good win, but "lovely"... Hmm...
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Good win, but it's difficult to measure whether we've turned a corner considering the opposition we played today.

Some good signs going forward though. It's clear Adams' absence over the course of the season has hurt us significantly as him and Wills led the way as our inside mids. It allowed Treloar and Sidebottom to play in their natural outside roles and display their strengths.

Good performance by Hoskin-Elliott, resembling what he did last year with his goalkicking exploits. Better game by Elliott in his 100th game after a disappointing effort last week.

Nice to be back on the winners list and we're now only one win away from being guaranteed finalists.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:30 pm

With the inclusion of two inside mids who can’t be shoved aside in a contest
(Wills and Adams) I would hope solves a problem we have suffered recently
That being Grundys dominence not being utilised to its optimum

Remain to be seen against the rest of finals bound side,s but get JDG back in
and Stevo and things I think give us our best available 22–well close anyway

A mention today to a real good pickup. Mr Roughead

Adding this. Jack Crisp had 30 pocession today but that’s just today

I see an article saying he’s averaging 26 touches a game to date

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:22 pm

Adz wrote:
shawthing wrote:
Obviously we had a big win today because Nicks is like a ghost town again. Laughing

The psychology of Collingwood supporters is something that even Freud and Jung could NEVER have understood. Why do our supporters get motivated by loses and our tragic history of losing the big ones, and can't get excited by a lovely win like today's? Rolling Eyes (I'll use the eye roll emoticon because I can't find one with a shake of the head Laughing ).

Because today’s victory means nothing.

Fans were excited from rounds 1-10 but then we sucked

I’m not convinced we’ve turned a corner and give Melb every chance of knocking us off next week. We haven’t won 2 in a row since June.

That win actually means 4 points and a percentage boost but don’t let that cloud your thinking.
Generally you set out to win today before you start worrying about next weeks challenge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: