Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Third Ashes Test. Headingly.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Good result.

Now, we're not having to endure 2 dead rubber Tests.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Ben Stokes. Born in New Zealand. Smile

K 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:26 am

Ric Finlay:

"Aus Tale of Woe since 1982:
Close losses:
3 runs v Eng, MCG, 1982
1 run v WI, Ade, 1993
5 runs v RSA, SCG, 1994
1 wkt v Pak, Kar, 1994
1 wkt v WI, Bar, 1999
2 runs v Eng, Edg, 2005
1 wkt v Ind, Moh, 2010
7 runs v NZ, Hob, 2011
1 wkt v Eng, Leeds, 2019"

https://twitter.com/RicFinlay/status/1165834436069322753
K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:00 am

Simon Taufel interview, cricinfo:

"Do you think players still don't completely understand the DRS, considering a healthy proportion of the reviews are usually unsuccessful?

I was reading Tim Paine's comments with interest after the last Ashes series. It was interesting to see him acknowledge that umpiring is difficult, and perhaps he now appreciates how tough umpiring is from a decision perspective. I think they [Australia] got six right out of 23, which is an accuracy of 26%.

It would be nice to see more captains and players do an umpire's course and stand and see what it is like to be an umpire, because we do think differently, and I respect the fact that players think differently as well. If you are going to step into the shoes of making decisions - decide whether it's right or wrong - it's important to start engaging with umpires and the officiating community about why we make decisions that we do, what goes into a decision, and how they can look at those rationally than emotionally.
"

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28167473/our-game-mental-game-most-our-work-ears
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:50 pm

"It would be nice to see more captains and players do an umpire's course "

Case in point.

Dean Jones was given out, in a Test v. the Windies. He started walking towards the Aussie players' gate but it was forward of the batting crease. The umpy had signalled a no-ball which Jones was unaware of. I think it was Carl Hooper who then took the bails off and appealed for a run out. Jones was given out.

Yes, wrong from the umps but AB (the other batsman and Aussie skipper) didn't know the relevant Law, either. "a batsman cannot be given out run out from a no-ball unless he is attempting to take a run."

Had Border known the Law, he could've appealed the ump's decision.

Poor form by Windies captain, Viv Richards, who DID know but let the decision stand.

*After the game, which Australia lost, Border was typically matter-of-fact. The umpires did not know the rules, he said, but nor did he; all should have.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:33 pm

Donny wrote:
Had Border known the Law, he could've appealed the ump's decision.

I'm not sure he could have appealed in a formal sense (like nowadays going to a TV review). Could he? He could of course have argued with the umpires (to no avail).
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:09 am

The umpires could ask Richards to withdraw his appeal and if he refused report him for unsporting behavour to the icc
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:30 pm

Vale Bob Willis.

cricinfo has a collection of his quotes, including this one:

"That was abject, Charles, absolutely pathetic. Apart from Joe Root and Ben Stokes, these guys cannot bat, it's as simple as that. The Ashes have now gone, it's going to be all over inside three Test matches, and if the penny hasn't now dropped with England's cricket administrators about the programme of four-day cricket… if they want the primacy of Test-match cricket, if they want to keep the best form of the game alive, they're going to have to do something about it and pretty damn quick, because this was totally unacceptable."
No holds barred after England are bowled out for 67 in the third Ashes Test at Headingley this summer…
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:52 am

'They did come home with the Ashes, another landmark. The coach's hand was readily apparent. The night the Ben Stokes' force-of-nature innings snatched certain victory from them at Headingley, Langer could not sleep. "I kept thinking: what are we going to do?" he said. "It was the worst I'd ever felt in cricket. We were THAT close to winning the Ashes."

The next morning, he called a team meeting to re-watch England's last wicket partnership. "I know it really pissed off a lot of blokes," Langer said. "But I remember Don Pyke saying after Adelaide lost that grand final to Richmond (in 2017): the mistake we made is we didn't address it. They went off on their off-season. There were still scars.'

"I said, this isn't about rubbing our noses in it. This is about learning." Aware of disgruntlement still, he invited dissenters to leave. No-one did.

Normally, spare players would be excused from the squad between Tests. The next day, all went together to Derbyshire, exorcised their demons in a game of touch rugby, then a two-day win over Derbyshire. A week later at Old Trafford, they won to retain the Ashes.'

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/langer-the-pragmatist-the-right-fit-for-australia-20191225-p53mv5.html
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:30 am

"Minutes after Australia’s horror show at Headingley last year, the players file into the visitors’ dressing room shell-shocked about what has just transpired. Nathan Lyon, who has just figured so heavily in one of Test cricket’s most incredible climaxes, has his head covered with a towel, a teammate comforting him. Travis Head looks like he’s seen a ghost.

Assessing the emotional damage in the room, Tim Paine stands up and launches into an impromptu and impassioned call to arms...

“I just want to say, f--- that’s going to f---ing hurt a lot, no doubt, for the next couple of days,” the Australian captain says. “However, as I said to a few of you boys out there, we’ve still got two Test matches. So let this f---ing thing sting.

"We had our chances to win that game and we f---ed it up. Shit happens. We can talk about that another time. Let’s take time, stick together ... it’s not game over, it’s not toys out of the cot, it’s a game of cricket.

“Shit f---ing happens. Yes, it was important and we wanted it ... we should have f---ing won it. Let’s move on and start getting our heads around winning the next two f---ing Tests.”

Paine’s post-match rev-up is revealed in the most chest-tightening episode of the eight-part documentary The Test: A New Era for Australia’s Team, which launches on Amazon Prime from Thursday."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/we-should-have-f-ing-won-it-doco-lifts-lid-on-aftermath-of-headingley-drama-20200310-p548nz.html
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:59 pm

'There are plenty of glum faces as the tape is rolled, as the likes of Nathan Lyon and Marcus Harris struggle to watch. After Stokes is seen coshing the winning runs, the following exchange ensues. "Hard to watch, hard to watch but it is what it is," Langer says. "The only thing I will say, there was an opportunity in my opinion with 71 to go, last ball of the over. If we're reading the play, there is no way there can be a run there. We want six balls at Leach, right, we've got to squeeze in on them, we can't give an easy run like that."

Paine replies: "If he wanted to sweep from wide out of rough, we thought that it was actually a chance to get him out."

Langer: "Were our plans clear enough to Stokes, do you reckon?"

Paine: "We know, we could've changed the fields, we could've bowled more bouncers. We had blokes coming on saying 'bowl slower balls'. Hoff [Josh Hazlewood] bowled him three slower balls and he hit them for three sixes. So 100% we could do things slightly differently. We didn't panic, we didn't s*** ourselves, we tried our best, we had a crack, the bloke had a day out. Absolutely I've been awake all night, I've changed the field a hundred times, I think we all have, but we didn't."

Langer: "The question is, when we're under that pressure, we know that were we really clear on what the plan was."

Hazlewood chimes in: "Plans were really clear, Painey came up at the start of the over, said let's try some slower balls and try to go wide, probably wasn't wide enough on occasions, and I tried a yorker, just missed."

Langer: "He's faced 220 balls by now, and we've got Leach who's come in, you want Patto to have six balls at Leach surely. The opportunity missed there, is that we let him have a single. That's just intent, that's just game awareness, which we all talk about."

Paine: "I was sort of umming and ahhing, 'f*** well if we get one or two at Leach, Patto can hit him on the toe ... but the percentage play will now be to bring the field up. Balls five or six we should have had the field up when we had 60 or 70, played it simple, seen that. Got it wrong."

Langer: "No-one ever wants to have that feeling again that you had yesterday, or last night when you lie in your bed. We're going to stay together, we're going to stick together, we're going to work hard together, we're going to get ready together to be ready for Old Trafford together to win the fourth Test match."'

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28876275/justin-langer-confronted-tim-paine-raw-headingley-debrief
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22   

Jump to: