Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:03 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

So we gave away Aish for sweet phuck all. Embarassed Confused
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:14 am

Next years draft picks for Aish is insurance for academy picks and gives us the opportunity to upgrade multiple mid draft picks to a higher position really Aish was surplus to our needs
We save some cash as well
As for Paton he’s on reported $650k next year for a guy coming off 3 knees it’s a risk
If we take him and he goes down not only have we spent the cash we have t improved our chances on winning a flag but limits our available cash
Jenkins is damaged goods according to reports
Heard a whisper he couldn’t go back to crows no matter what had some issues involving leaks to media about team mates
He wasn’t worth the cash they wanted covered on his current deal
If we took either of them even on a discount rate paying say only $250k a season how would nicks react if we lost Grundy Moore JDG for the sake of $250k a season going forward but we had a broken down Paton on the list or Jenkins who was doing nothing
I think we’ve been very quiet for the simple fact or cash is earmarked for Grundy
He’s the centrepiece of our crown moving forward
Lock him in it’s easier to sell the vision going forward to Moore JDG etc
Build a team capable of being top 4 for next 5 years when these guys will be in the prime
Don’t be surprised if keeping them does cost us a player or 2 we really don’t want to lose but we will need to
Keeping Scharenberg makes sense
He’s contracted next season and hopefully he gets a full season
The upside for us is simple right now he’s trade value is down because of his injury history
He plays 20 games next season and plays to his potential and all of a sudden his value is back up into a early second round pick
Also there is no guarantee we will see Langdon again
His problematic knee isn’t going to all of a sudden fix itself so Scharenberg is a automatic in our best 22
People need to look back on how he was playing in 2018 before his last knee to know what he’s capable of
Our powder is dry and I’m confident we will get Grundy
Trying to lure a player of his ilk away from his current club is difficult unless the player really wants to leave then your fighting a losing battle to start with
Ned Guy isn’t a dill he has a plan
themonk 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:37 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Next years draft picks for Aish is insurance for academy picks and gives us the opportunity to upgrade multiple mid draft picks to a higher position really Aish was surplus to our needs
As for Paton he’s on reported $650k next year for a guy coming off 3 knees it’s a risk
If we take him and he goes down not only have we spent the cash we have t improved our chances on winning a flag but limits our available cash
Heard a whisper he couldn’t go back to crows no matter what had some issues involving leaks to media about team mates
If we took either of them even on a discount rate paying say only $250k a season how would nicks react if we lost Grundy Moore JDG for the sake of $250k a season going forward but we had a broken down Paton on the list or Jenkins who was doing nothing
I think we’ve been very quiet for the simple fact or cash is earmarked for Grundy
Build a team capable of being top 4 for next 5 years when these guys will be in the prime
Don’t be surprised if keeping them does cost us a player or 2 we really don’t want to lose but we will need to
The upside for us is simple right now he’s trade value is down because of his injury history
He plays 20 games next season and plays to his potential and all of a sudden his value is back up into a early second round pick
His problematic knee isn’t going to all of a sudden fix itself so Scharenberg is a automatic in our best 22
People need to look back on how he was playing in 2018 before his last knee to know what he’s capable of
Trying to lure a player of his ilk away from his current club is difficult unless the player really wants to leave then your fighting a losing battle to start with

brilliant post!
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:35 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Pity you didn't use the same logic when you came on this forum a year ago pimping the repatriation of Beams, who arrived at the Pies broken in mind and body and has been a dead weight on the club since.
Doug44 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:57 am

Pies2016 wrote:
I might be jumping the gun but it looks like we didn’t achieve our goal of moving up into the first round either.
Very anticlimactic but that’s life. Win some, lose some.

You can still trade picks right up until and including draft day.

If next year's draft isn't as good as this year's, and we are probably getting this Reef kid anyway on a discount, we don't need the amount of picks we have in next year's draft. It's a bit like last year, all our selections were academy or father son.

I reckon we'll trade some of the three 2nd rounds we have over the next two years, and/or possibly next year's first round, to get back into this year's first round.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:06 am

It was a dud of a trade period for the pies
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:19 am

When he comes to knee injuries I live by the simple rule that the bigger the player the greater chance of them doing another one is.

I wouldn't entertain Patton unless it was for the bare minimum in wage and trade.

Even then I wouldn't bother.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Spot on - all of it.
fact is there was not the dominant key forward on offer anywhere. Daniher the closest but wanted Swans - he is a RFA next year and if he plays 20 games who knows.

Not as much risk with Reid. Best case he gets a full pre-season and plays. worst case he cant get his body right, retires or goes onto long term injury list mid season and we get a crack at mid season draft.
Hopefully Kelly can play some games - could be the forward Naughton became for Dogs. I also think Wilson and Kean will taste senior footy next year.
Id rather lock away Moore, deGoey, Grundy and Pendles and look at next year. Have an exciting academy prospect next year and it would be good not to use our first round pick on him so that becomes trade bait and we have Nick Daicos to look forward to the year after.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:25 am

Dbl
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:10 am

MJ23 wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Spot on - all of it.
fact is there was not the dominant key forward on offer anywhere. Daniher the closest but wanted Swans - he is a RFA next year and if he plays 20 games who knows.

Not as much risk with Reid. Best case he gets a full pre-season and plays. worst case he cant get his body right, retires or goes onto long term injury list mid season and we get a crack at mid season draft.
Hopefully Kelly can play some games - could be the forward Naughton became for Dogs. I also think Wilson and Kean will taste senior footy next year.
Id rather lock away Moore, deGoey, Grundy and Pendles and look at next year. Have an exciting academy prospect next year and it would be good not to use our first round pick on him so that becomes trade bait and we have Nick Daicos to look forward to the year after.

Are you meaning Tohill and Keane ?

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 am

themonk wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

brilliant post!

yes, it is, makes me feel lot better now. Yep. Very Happy

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 am

magpieazza wrote:

Are you meaning Tohill and Keane ?

Tom Wilson - looked pretty good in his VFL games last season - very highly rated junior footballer who pursued BBall and has now come back.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Woods wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Pity you didn't use the same logic when you came on this forum a year ago pimping the repatriation of Beams, ....

No, he didn't. Where did you get that idea from?

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Nicks would wonder why Grundy left over a piddling $250k when we're talking $5million deals. Wink

Last edited by K on Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Pep 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:16 pm

My thoughts on the trade period and where we are at.

It looks like our cap space is a worry so the I think the Aish deal that went down as best as it could for us, we encouraged him to look for another home as we could not guarantee him a spot when his contract ran out. A future 2nd and 4th round picks seems to be okay for me. Just hope Saints finish outside the 8 again.

I don't mind the Cameron pick up, if Cox or Grundy are out we have a tall/ruck back up other than Reid.

Looks like our main goal was to keep our current list together while trying to get a move get better picks in the draft, which we got for next year.
Like a few have said injuries have been our problem, our best 22 can easily match with the best sides, we beat tigers twice in row and West Coast away.

Would love to see Kelley, IQ, T.Brown, Murphy develop this season and see Daicos have a C.Brown type of season.

I'am worried that most of the teams around us or in the mix of top 4-6 have strengthened or look to improve their list foe next year.

Eagles got Kelly, Cats have a quite a few top picks this and next year while adding Steven who is quality when fit and firing, GWS have a top pick and have plans to go higher. Lions added depth and young talent while keeping their two first picks (1 being from us) Dogs have added two KPP players to their list while keeping pick 13. Hawks have taken a punt on Patton if it works out will be a masterstroke and will be getting Tom Mitchell back as well.

At this stage. All teams around us have their first round pick except for the eagles. Either some plans are in the works or the club is backing our list to get us a flag.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Patton is a massive, massive risk. A knee is not a hamstring. If we had got him we'd be screaming and/or depressed.

There is obviously a plan, we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 41 of 42   

Jump to: