Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Best seasons without winning a premiership

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What is the least disappointing ending to a non-premiership-winning year you’ve experienced?
57%
 57%  [ 22 ]
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 38

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:33 am
Post subject: Best seasons without winning a premiershipReply with quote

Amidst the disappointment of last night, I was feeling proud of the club and our players and thinking that – as much as I wish we were there next week – it was hard not to feel satisfied about this season and what we’ve achieved.

It also occurred to me that it’s pretty rare to feel that way after a finals loss; you won’t win the flag most of the time, so most seasons you either end with a finals loss that makes you feel pretty hollow and depressed, or you miss finals altogether and so the end-of-season misery is usually spread out over a longer period.

For me, the only times besides this year that I can remember feeling anything close to satisfaction in a non-premiership season were 2002, 2007 and maybe to an extent 2018 (though that one really hurt). How about you guys? If you had to rank non-premiership-winning seasons in recent memory, where does this one figure?

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The question is unclear. The best season where we didn't win, as in the best team with the best chance?

Hands down 1992. We beat all comers that year (except maybe the cats), and if we play Sav instead of my namesake against the Saints, well who knows....

But if its a case of going as far as we could have, doing our best so to speak, 2002 or 2007

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:57 am

In 1977 we finished on top after finishing last the year before. It was a great season. Ricky Barham was added to the list but otherwise, it was pretty much the same team that had finished last in 1976. The main difference was the new coach - Tom Hafey. Just like this year. The only new player of note was Nick Daicos. The main difference from last year and this was the new coach - Craig McRae.

1977 was a great year and should've been a premiership year, and would've been a premiership year if not for Phil Carman's undisciplined unprovoked act which got him suspended.
'
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:03 am

2018 was a shit show. It was always going to end badly, one way or the other, because the team played not to lose on the one day of the year when you must play to win.

2007 was awful - you just knew Guy Richards was going to **** up - and he let Ablett take the ball off him for the losing goal. If only Collingwood had a ruckman that season (there's a fair chance we'll be saying that at the end of 2023, by the looks of it).

2002 was awful - no Grand Final loss is ever "OK", irrespective of how "gallant" your team is in defeat. I always despised Voss and him getting the Cup, rather than our then greatest player of the modern era, sickened me.

I agree with Ronnie about the 1992 "Persistent Pies" - in those days, one Daicos was enough to make you feel like the year had been well-spent watching Collingwood.

Last evening was appalling, at the end, for about 5 minutes - and then I was over it. Mostly, it was a sense of disappointment that they didn't quite get there - it would have been so funny to see the look on Franklin's and Papley's stupid faces, if they had. Ultimately, though, the genuinely great Collingwood players stood up to be counted, yet again, and the younger players did everything they could to follow the great leadership they got on the ground (and from the coaching box).

Most of all, though, I felt that I got football back, courtesy of the Coach, in 2022. The team was unwatchable - even when they were winning - for the prior decade. It may well be that defence 0ccasionally wins premierships - but, really, no-one watching the game cares about that - what we want to see is our team being courageous, taking the game on and winning with great exploits. Things that the Daicoses, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Ginnivan, WHE, McReery and others did in 2022 will live long in the memory. Without the highlights reel, every season in which the premiership doesn't come your way is just a complete waste. 2022 wasn't at all like that.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:04 am

I think 2002. I was at that one and at The Cricketers after the game the vibe was amazing considering we'd lost.

This year feels similar. Geez, losing finals by 6 & 1 points to the eventual.Grand finalists stings a lot more for me.

I think we would be a better chance at knocking the Cats off next week. I think they'll destroy the Swans.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:08 am

Well, from the list provided I'll say 2007 was the least disappointing finish. I do recall walking out of the MCG after losing by 5 points feeling like we gave it our best shot against the best team for the year (of course it was Geelong, who else right?).

Again, we were good in 2007, but just your typical hard working, plucky, never say die Collingwood that we are all used to. Took a few more years to finally build a premiership team and then the succession plan ruined all that, but I won't open that old chestnut.

MONCO: Your life.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:09 am

I’ll say if 2022 happens in 2023 it’s a waste but it isn’t
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:10 am

I think there will always be a question mark about 2022 as we played the 3 other top 4 teams 5 times for zero wins and 5 losses
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:24 am

Harrysz wrote:
1977 was a great year and should've been a premiership year, and would've been a premiership year if not for Phil Carman's undisciplined unprovoked act which got him suspended.
'

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the team kept the opposition goal-less for about 70 minutes, held a 27 point lead at 3/4 time and then drew a game in which the opposition managed just 9 $£$%^%%$ goals. There was plenty of talent on the ground without Phil, albeit he was the single most talented player ever to play the game - the 20 who played that day lost the Grand Final. Plenty of other teams have won premierships without their best player available. Collingwood, unfortunately, just choked when it mattered. A team with both Richardsons, Thompson, Kink, Moore at FF, Dunne, Magro, Picken, Wearmouth, Ray Shaw, Barham, Anderson (who kicked 46 goals that season), Worthington, Ireland and Hyde in it should never have looked into the stands for a scapegoat. It was a shocking, unacceptable act by Hafey to deflect the blame onto a guy who wasn't on the park. Happily, we know from watching the present Coach that such an idiot mistake would never be repeated.

The big difference between 2022 and 1977 is that the present Coach moulded a team from nothing, around a couple of great players, an inherited squad and a new batch of kids. In 1977, Hafey £$%$ed up at the end, despite having much of the greatest talent ever to play at Collingwood at his disposal. Just like he did the following week and again in 1979, 1980 and 1981. Ultimately, Hafey's tenure at Collingwood is just proof that he got lucky with his prior Richmond squad and, without Hart, Bourke, Bartlett, Clay, Sheedy, Barrott et al he wasn't really much use to anyone.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:55 am

Hafey was a fitness fanatic and an old style motivator who put the fear of God into you for failing to perform. Positive reinforcement or delegating responsibility to the players would have been foreign to him. That form of coaching died out in the eighties. You wouldn’t get away with it today. And the fact they we were wooden spooners in 1976 says more about the coaching staff at the time, not about the playing group who only needed a decent coach in 1977 to perform to their ability. The crash and burn coach we got in Hafey was all we needed but at some point of time, Tom Hafey was a time bomb who was going to explode.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:00 am

We may have finished 17th last year but I never thought that was where we were at, we lost a few close ones.

This year, new coach, management and attitude, it’s a whole different beast. After 2 years of hard lock downs and uncertainty, after last years ridicule, how can you not be proud and happy for the most part?

Fly commented he was so proud the way the team walked around and thanked the fans, me too. We waited. Idont usually do that, it hurts too much, but this was special, and the boys deserved it.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:18 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Harrysz wrote:
'

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the team kept the opposition goal-less for about 70 minutes, held a 27 point lead at 3/4 time and then drew a game in which the opposition managed just 9 $�$%^%%$ goals. There was plenty of talent on the ground without Phil, albeit he was the single most talented player ever to play the game - the 20 who played that day lost the Grand Final. Plenty of other teams have won premierships without their best player available. Collingwood, unfortunately, just choked when it mattered. A team with both Richardsons, Thompson, Kink, Moore at FF, Dunne, Magro, Picken, Wearmouth, Ray Shaw, Barham, Anderson (who kicked 46 goals that season), Worthington, Ireland and Hyde in it should never have looked into the stands for a scapegoat. It was a shocking, unacceptable act by Hafey to deflect the blame onto a guy who wasn't on the park. Happily, we know from watching the present Coach that such an idiot mistake would never be repeated.

The big difference between 2022 and 1977 is that the present Coach moulded a team from nothing, around a couple of great players, an inherited squad and a new batch of kids. In 1977, Hafey �$%$ed up at the end, despite having much of the greatest talent ever to play at Collingwood at his disposal. Just like he did the following week and again in 1979, 1980 and 1981. Ultimately, Hafey's tenure at Collingwood is just proof that he got lucky with his prior Richmond squad and, without Hart, Bourke, Bartlett, Clay, Sheedy, Barrott et al he wasn't really much use to anyone.

Ah yes, Collingwood mythmaking at its best; if only McKenna didn't get concussed in 1970, if only Carman didn't belt Tuck (or more to the point given the period, got caught), if only Rocca's point was called the goal it was, if only the block on Bruz was called.

No myths necessary; Collingwood struggle to finish off the business. Facts, simple facts. Been that way for over 70 years, thats more than a generation clearly. Its who we are, until we change who we are

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Big Dan 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:27 pm

How good has this year been?

Bombers after the siren.

Ending Blues season in the last 90 seconds.

Rolling Melbourne again...and again.....

Crowds filling the stands week in week out - the vibe was back!

OK - didn't win yesterday but I'll take games like we have seen this year over anything that was tossed up in recent years (2018 season the exception).

Loved this year, didn't want it to end. Bring on 2023.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:35 pm

my bad, didn't read it properly Razz
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:57 pm

Interesting question, and very tough to answer.

I think 2022 is going to be the winner.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: