Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Malevolent Morrison Muppet Goverment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:35 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen that Four Corners episode about office relationships, but I think Guy Rundle accurately assesses the broader discourse around this:

https://www.crikey.com.au/2020/11/19/guy-rundle-four-corners-scandal/

Quote:
The great organisational theorist Northcote Parkinson once noted that time spent on the debate of an issue is in inverse proportion to its consequence.

Authorising a nuclear power plant takes five minutes, because no one really knows what it should cost. The budget for tea and coffee: everyone’s got an opinion on that, and it goes for hours.

There’s something of that in the character of politics, as it oscillates between economics and culture at present. The two great scandals of the moment should be, firstly, the manner in which the Morrison government’s administration of JobKeeper through companies — rather than directly to workers — has shuttled hundreds of millions to corporate bottom lines and company profits.

Secondly, there’s the robodebt catastrophe, in which the legal rights of hundreds of thousands were trashed in a criminally negligent process applied to them by the very fact of being poor and dependent, resulting in a harvest of misery, torment, premature death, self-harm and suicide so vast that it’s difficult to contemplate.

But all of this was distracted from fairly easily, first by the petty Australia Post Cartier watch scandal, and then by a week and more of furore over the Four Corners “inside Canberra” episode.

[…]

Four Corners didn’t have a story worthy of a Four Corners episode, and so it became about the general state of gender relations, and the breach of a party-specific “bonk ban” with no status in law. The broadcast hour filled out with a Mills and Boonish story of a boss/lover who sapped her confidence, autonomy, etc.

With that angle taken, these two ministers in Morrison’s government were to be judged not for robodebt, indigenous incarceration, sadistic mandatory detention, etc, but for the sad feels they caused on their workplace lovers, two staffers whose job was to buttress and support these policies, and who suddenly, somehow, became both victims and heroes in a progressive politics. They had the agency to help oppress the poor, the powerless, but that agency disappeared when under the overpowering romantic sway of a man named Alan Tudge.

How the hell did that happen? Simple. The angle of inquiry was the default setting of a certain, and currently dominant, type of feminism: the interests of professional-class white women, and their priority status as victim, with their class-power simply deducted from the equation. That was what many people, especially a progressive audience, could latch onto, and identify with. And that is what the issue became.

It was then inevitable that it would connect to surveillance and carceral feminism, with the suggestion that office relationship bans become generalised and a matter of law, and that the innards of a workplace relationship — not whether unfairness or discrimination occurred, but “how he made me feel” — are joined to wider notions of coercive control.

This is the leitmotif of the culture wars in our time. The issues that many progressives and leftists thought might be pathways to a greater radicalism are instead supplanting it, as the interests of professionals and the knowledge class fill out the spectrum, and the powerless — the nameless and faceless thousands crushed by robodebt — are crowded out of the picture.

No, it’s not all Four Corners‘ fault, far from it. These substituted pseudo-scandals prosper because we have an opposition that won’t oppose the truly rotten and corrupted place Australia has become.

Admittedly, that’s not easy, because of Parkinson’s (second) law: the judgement of untold micro-social situations is the texture of our lives these days. We’re at home in it, in the way earlier generations were at home in the great politics of left and right.

Yes, the personal needed to become political. Now it threatens to become the whole of politics, with millions whose material lives have worsened decade on decade focused on the tribulations of people who, if they met, would despise them.

It’s a neat trick. Opposing it means pushing back against progressives who can’t see how it works to silence the powerless or, worse still, don’t sufficiently care.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:07 pm

On a different note, here's an actual Morrison muppet move:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/16/ardern-blasts-morrison-for-shirking-responsibility-for-suspected-isis-terrorist-who-grew-up-in-australia

Quote:
Jacinda Ardern has accused Scott Morrison of exporting Australia’s problems by cancelling the citizenship of a woman who allegedly joined Islamic State in Syria.

The New Zealand prime minister and her Australian counterpart discussed the case of the woman, a dual NZ-Australian citizen, after she was detained in Syria along with her two children following the retaking of Isis’s last remaining territory by US-backed forces in 2019.

A furious Ardern said on Tuesday that she had asked Morrison to work with New Zealand on the issue, but about a year later she was informed the woman’s Australian citizenship had been cancelled.

“They left New Zealand at the age of six, were resident in Australia from that time, became an Australian citizen, left from Australia to Syria, and travelled on Australian passport,” Ardern said in Wellington.

“Our very strong view on behalf of New Zealand and New Zealanders, was that this individual was clearly most appropriately dealt with by Australia.

“I raised that issue directly with Prime Minister Morrison and asked that we work together on resolving the issue.

“I was then informed in the following year that Australia had unilaterally revoked the citizenship of the individual.

“You can imagine my response.”

This really captures the primary problem with this "cancelling citizenship of terrorists" nonsense: short of making someone stateless – a practice that's unlawful around the world for good reason – it simply palms off the responsibility for prosecution/reintegration/whatever to one of the two or more countries that the person holds citizenship with. There's absolutely no reason why this person should automatically be declared New Zealand's responsibility as opposed to ours, and I think Ardern is right to be furious with our government for it. I dare say the reason they didn't tell her is the same reason they wouldn't tell most foreign governments in cases like these – they already know the response they would get (and deserve) for even suggesting it.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:36 pm

Yes we know NZ doesn’t like Australia cancelling the visas or citizenships of all these NZ criminals but that’s their problem now.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:49 pm

David wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/16/ardern-blasts-morrison-for-shirking-responsibility-for-suspected-isis-terrorist-who-grew-up-in-australia

Quote:
Jacinda Ardern has accused Scott Morrison of exporting Australia’s problems by cancelling the citizenship of a woman who allegedly joined Islamic State in Syria.

The New Zealand prime minister and her Australian counterpart discussed the case of the woman, a dual NZ-Australian citizen, after she was detained in Syria along with her two children following the retaking of Isis’s last remaining territory by US-backed forces in 2019.

A furious Ardern said on Tuesday that she had asked Morrison to work with New Zealand on the issue, but about a year later she was informed the woman’s Australian citizenship had been cancelled.

“They left New Zealand at the age of six, were resident in Australia from that time, became an Australian citizen, left from Australia to Syria, and travelled on Australian passport,” Ardern said in Wellington.

“Our very strong view on behalf of New Zealand and New Zealanders, was that this individual was clearly most appropriately dealt with by Australia.

“I raised that issue directly with Prime Minister Morrison and asked that we work together on resolving the issue.

“I was then informed in the following year that Australia had unilaterally revoked the citizenship of the individual.

This really captures the primary problem with this "cancelling citizenship of terrorists" nonsense: short of making someone stateless – a practice that's unlawful around the world for good reason – it simply palms off the responsibility for prosecution/reintegration/whatever to one of the two or more countries that the person holds citizenship with. There's absolutely no reason why this person should automatically be declared New Zealand's responsibility as opposed to ours, and I think Ardern is right to be furious with our government for it. I dare say the reason they didn't tell her is the same reason they wouldn't tell most foreign governments in cases like these – they already know the response they would get (and deserve) for even suggesting it.

You’re right in part. Substitute the word another for actual and you’d be closer to the mark.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:07 am

David wrote:

Quote:

sounds like a cost saving move!

Your problem no ours!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 am

There’s such a thing as a country being a good global citizen, and I feel like Australia is ... very much not that right now.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:40 am

David wrote:
There’s such a thing as a country being a good global citizen, and I feel like Australia is ... very much not that right now.

Complex but we’ve abrogated our responsibility. Hospital hand pass.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:48 am

Lack of accountability is systemic and a hallmark of this Government be it:

The Barrier Reef millions (444 million to the Barrier Reef Foundation a fossil fuel and mining industry front)

The NSW airport monies (30 million for land valued at 3 million)
Using the PM’s private plane to attend Lachlan Murdoch’s birthday (Scotty from Marketing and Josh from Accounts)

Awarding a contract to Paladin of over Manus Island whose Australian arm was a shack on Kangaroo Island (no tender and the company was making a profit of $1.3 million per week (our taxes at work)

The $80 million purchase of water entitlements by a company formed by the liar Angus Taylor ( a huge over expenditure of public money to advance private interests) with the company headquartered in the Cayman Islands (tax avoidance anybody)

The Sports Rorts affair which is still going and was controlled through the little turd Scotty from Marketing’s Office

( sports rorts needs its own thread when you see which community programmes were funded and which weren’t)

$40 million transferred to Foxtel majority owned by Murdoch to cover lesser covered sports when Foxtel has so little subscription

A 5 million grant to a liberal party research firm without any requirement to produce anything to be made public

Taxpayers money funding fossil fuel and mining companies to Lobby the Government! This is where the big money resides.

The Helloworld Travel agency fiasco

Australian Borderforce contracts with another Liberal Party donor Austal a ship building company.

Robodebt, the disgraceful Robodebt without consequence for the other happy clappy turd Stuart Robert. Robodebt remains a disgrace causing so much pain and distress

Michalea Cash illegally leaking a raid on a union by the Federal Police

Angus Taylor’s office falsifying documents to make the Sydney City Council look bad; caught with his pants down and not a pretty sight

Stuart Robert and signing a mining deal in China in a company he owned shares in: he was sacked by the last PM for that (compare and contrast with the turd Scotty who has either ignored wrongdoing or rewarded it)

Stuart Robert and overstating his internet use to claim on tax, IT companies he had shares in being awarded government contracts

And now the rape allegations.

These are the standards the little turd, the happy clappy Scotty from Marketing accepts and by inaction tacitly encourages (to be distinguished from the current actions which as we know his wife Jenny told him to take seriously).

Now the little turd, the happy clappy Scotty from Marketing needs to be held accountable for the issues surrounding the rape be liberal party workers, liberal party supporters in the office of a Minister just before an election. Keep the victim quiet before an election. The turd is a scumbag

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/morrison-must-be-held-accountable-for-inaction-that-left-women-vulnerable-20210218-p573s0.html

https://www.themonthly.com.au/issue/2021/february/1612098000/nick-feik/scandals-he-walks-past

Last edited by watt price tully on Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:18 am

Morrison accepts and encourages rape allegations?
That's a strange thing to say.
Your bot needs to be re programmed.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Morrison accepts and encourages rape allegations?
That's a strange thing to say.

We know his office knew, we know their are emails going to his office, we know that the former PM and we know Peta Credlin say it defies logic to say the little turd Sco Mo didn’t know, we know the victim got rushed off to WA, we know this was before an election. Doing nothing is condoning the action

Actually on reflection the words ought to have reflected the main contention of the thread which is lack of accountability and responsibility. Not doing anything at the time encourages bad behaviour. Politics 101: silence is consent.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:19 am

I consider Morrison the same as any other politician - self interested, self serving, will do whatever it takes. If he's talking he's probably not telling the truth.

From looking at your posts I have just a sneaking suspicion as to what your political allegiances may be. I really can't understand someone having such a limited and one sided view of politics, "my side good, your side bad" but the world is made up of all sorts. Banging on about it doesn't make any difference to what anyone thinks though.

We are talking about whether one politician knew or did not know about an alleged rape, where it was none of his business in any event. It really does not matter if he knew or not, unless he lied about that. Which, he may have. He could have just said, "yes, I was informed of the allegations, they were personal matters and otherwise for the police, so I was not involved". End of story.

I could post here the statement of the ex staffer of Biden that alleges that he sexually assaulted her, or the statement of the woman that alleged that she was raped by Bill Shorten after an ALP conference, but I won't.

There's no good side or bad side of politics. There are just politicians taking advantage of people.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:26 am

You entirely missed the point of the thread: accountability and The turd Scotty. The rape issue is merely the latest. In fact you ignored it. Tell me where I was wrong with the lack of accountability by the little turd?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:35 am

<Just a friendly reminder to posters that you don't need to quote the post you're replying to if it's directly above. Thanks, David for BBMods.>
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:02 am

WPT, go back and read my two line response again.

You really are quite funny - you even want to argue with people that quite clearly aren't interested in doing so, and in relation to points that haven't even been disputed!
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:26 am

It’s always entertaining, he’d be a good writer for satire websites like the Guardian.

No surprise there is no mention of the ALP channeling funds through activists to be used for their re-election campaign and yet again been caught using Victorians money to try and get Shorten elected.

Disgusting rorting by the government but silence from the usual suspects. Or maybe the government deliberately had the findings released this week when everyone’s too focused on Canberra.

It’s interesting the mental gymnastics needed to go from complainant chooses not to pursue charges to Scott Morrison condones rape...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 15 of 24   

Jump to: