Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The "Official Nick's BB" Trump Impeachment thread!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
It's too late this time around, but for 2024 if the Democrats are smart (which, let's face it, they aren't but....) they'll try to tap into the outsider energy and groom a left wing celebrity to run. People are tired of the establishment, on all sides of politics, looking out for themselves. They wan't someone who isn't beholden to the establishment, That's how they got Trump, that's why Bernie won't get the nomination and someone else will lose to Trump in 2020 and why the Democrats need a Robert De Niro or similar for 2024.

I think you're on the money there; to win in a circus tent you need an entertainer.

Psychologically, Trumps and Brexits are a flailing in the face of a loss of control. This sense of insecurity is heightened everytime people look at a screen. Hopefully, nothing blows up while the system adapts and certain groups lurch full fundamentalist in a bid to cope (nationalist/racist/religionist/environmentalist/animal rightsist/white supremacist, etc.) .

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
that's why Bernie won't get the nomination and someone else will lose to Trump in 2020

Not sure I should exactly be getting my crystal ball out given my track record on this – and, look, I genuinely have no idea how things will play out – but I reckon Sanders is a very real chance of winning the nomination. If he picks up Iowa and New Hampshire, he’s going to have some real momentum going into March, and Biden (the only one really standing in the way at this point) is going to lose some of the "electability" veneer that he’s been trading off all this time. Meanwhile, Bloomberg keeps surging and ensuring that several candidates who might otherwise drop out (Warren, Yang, Buttigieg, Klobuchar) aren’t going anywhere – so it’ll be very hard for the establishment to coalesce around one figure and they’ll likely start to hope instead for a contested convention (which I think is very likely at this point). Basically, it’s looking a lot like the 2016 Republican race all over again.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:33 pm

Hard to see Bernie landing knockout blows on candidates like Trump did in the Republican debates and in a brokered convention he gets rolled every time.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:35 pm

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C.—Democratic leaders in the House called on their Republican colleagues in the Senate to run a fair and thorough impeachment trial instead of a farce as they did when they held impeachment hearings.

"We demand Republicans take this seriously and not make this into a circus as we did," Pelosi said sternly. "I would hope the Senate would carry out their solemn duty and not make this a big charade, you know, as we did in the House."

https://babylonbee.com/news/dems-who-ran-sham-impeachment-hearings-shocked-as-republicans-run-sham-impeachment-trial

I laughed. Razz

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:12 pm

Wokko wrote:
Hard to see Bernie landing knockout blows on candidates like Trump did in the Republican debates and in a brokered convention he gets rolled every time.

Don’t know if he even needs to – Warren and Buttigieg have proven pretty adept at punching themselves in the face, and then there’s Biden...

https://youtu.be/mHv8KKeiKoU

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:40 pm

No new witnesses can be called. Senate trial drawing to a close and the Democrat House hasn't managed to convince anyone really that Trump's guilty.

Acquittal in the next couple of days.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:25 pm

Wokko wrote:
No new witnesses can be called. Senate trial drawing to a close and the Democrat House hasn't managed to convince anyone really that Trump's guilty.

Factually incorrect. The republicans have chosen not to allow witnesses. Far different than “failed to convince anyone”.

Trump obviously has a lot to hide. Wonder what his tax records show. He is the President of the United States. He has made Russia, China and Iran great again: well done him .... perhaps not

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:57 pm

The senate voted largely on party lines not to have witnesses at the "trial" just as it voted on party lines in the house to conduct the inquiry and prepare the articles of impeachment.

Wanting to call witnesses was only ever a stalling tactic designed to drag the process out as long as possible, in the favour of the Democrats.

There was zero chance some new evidence was going to suddenly appear that would result in the Senate upholding the impeachment, and pretty sure his Tax records are utterly irrelevant to this, it's been a party lines sham since day 1.

CNN view

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/01/31/politics/senate-impeachment-trial-last-day/index.html

It'll all be over by next weekend.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Wokko wrote:

Never thought it would happen Razz

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:42 pm

watt price tully wrote:

Factually incorrect. The republicans have chosen not to allow witnesses. Far different than “failed to convince anyone”.

Trump obviously has a lot to hide. Wonder what his tax records show. He is the President of the United States. He has made Russia, China and Iran great again: well done him .... perhaps not

The Senate hasn't allowed new witnesses, voting lines aren't really relevant to the information being correct.

The Democrats haven't met the high bar of Treason, Bribery, High Crimes or Misdemeanors, the rest is just CNN (or Guardian in your case) inspired fluff.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:49 pm

Republicans fear giving Trump his day in court and fear evidence. What’s the POTUS got to hide, I mean he’s got such a good record with disclosure: his taxes for example, oops, his military record oops, Trump University..oops
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:57 am

A different Republican take on the Trump impeachment.
Trump acted inappropriately but this doesn't qualify as a high crime and the people can cast their judgement on Trump in 10 months:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/us/politics/alexander-impeachment-witnesses.html
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:28 am

It was never going to happen, whole thing has been a waste of time and money both better spent elsewhere
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:20 am

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Trump acted inappropriately but this doesn't qualify as a high crime and the people can cast their judgement on Trump in 10 months:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/31/us/politics/alexander-impeachment-witnesses.html

However, crime is not the sole determinant for impeachment, never was. This is a simple misdirection.

For example: Russia might attack though bombing the US. The POTUS might react by not doing anything. However given defending one’s citizens is a primary function of the POTUS then he could indeed should be impeached: nothing illegal was done by the POTUS as it were.

The argument has no weight and is merely a subterfuge

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:38 am

watt price tully wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:

However, crime is not the sole determinant for impeachment, never was. This is a simple misdirection.

For example: Russia might attack though bombing the US. The POTUS might react by not doing anything. However given defending one’s citizens is a primary function of the POTUS then he could indeed should be impeached: nothing illegal was done by the POTUS as it were.

The argument has no weight and is merely a subterfuge

Wrong, the scope for impeachment is incredibly narrow.

Treason (which your example would be), Bribery, High Crimes and Misdemeanors. That's it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24   

Jump to: