Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Membership Refunds

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
88MPH 

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am level 2 of the Ponsford - I'd be full on devastated to lose those seats but if this is the way footy is going then I think the way we even support the club will change.

Great post - hits the nail completely on the head.

This is exactly the point - in mucking around with our entitlements, in treating us like customers, not members, the Club is weakening the very thing that connects us all - the feeling that we are all part of something that unites us by spirit and passion. That no matter what, the most important people at our club are the members who sit in the freezing rain in sub-artic temperatures to support our team because that's what members do. Who bring their kids to the game as a right of passage because that's what members do. Who wrap their newborns in Collingwood gear because that's what members do. Who teach their kids Good Old Collingwood Forever before Waltzing Matilda or Advance Australia Fair, because that's what members do.

Our passion, our fire, our very selves, our black and white souls are not something that can be bought, sold or maneuvered. It's what we are. It's who we are. It's where we belong.

Once that intangible glue is taken away, footy becomes just another form of disposable entertainment - like last week's new release movie.

I have 3 kids. All are devastated that our Southern Stand reserved seats have been ripped away from us. None of them will feel about the Club that which I felt when I was their age. They now couldn't care less about Collingwood. They feel betrayed and so hurt. And when I tell the club this I get an indifferent shrug of the shoulders - a "well we've got lots more members mate" type of response.

Then the Club has the temerity and bald faced duplicity to tell us during Covid-19 that we are the most important part of the Club and that they are nothing without us.

It makes my blood boil and it makes me sad. It didn't have to be like this.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 12:26 am

^ I feel for you mate. It's a shit feeling when the club takes its loyal members for granted.

I would be seething if I lost my reserved seat in the Ponny, but I won't be shocked if it happens.

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 8:30 am

88MPH wrote:
I have 3 kids. All are devastated that our Southern Stand reserved seats have been ripped away from us. None of them will feel about the Club that which I felt when I was their age. They now couldn't care less about Collingwood. They feel betrayed and so hurt

While I agree the club didn't handle the SS well, it's hard not to say "oh boo hoo"... I bet it wasn't the expectation of a reserved seat that made you love the Pies when you were a kid. Most of us grew up on a succession of GF disappointments and primary school taunts

barrackers 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 pm

Jezza wrote:
^ I feel for you mate. It's a shit feeling when the club takes its loyal members for granted.

I would be seething if I lost my reserved seat in the Ponny, but I won't be shocked if it happens.

One of the reasons why I have a reserved seat is I sometimes work late and want the ability to arrival late and still get a good seat. A reserved bay goes against that and I’d strongly consider dropping the reserved seat if things changed.
barrackers 

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

The ability to pause monthly payments is moot if you’ve already paid for the year. I like what Essendon have offered, a free membership upgrade in 2021 or signed jumper depending on membership level.

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/690746/letter-from-the-president-membership-update
Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 4:59 pm

barrackers wrote:
Jezza wrote:

One of the reasons why I have a reserved seat is I sometimes work late and want the ability to arrival late and still get a good seat. A reserved bay goes against that and I’d strongly consider dropping the reserved seat if things changed.

I sit top level of the Ponsford with 7 other family members, one who drives down form the country to attend games. Having a reserved seat each home game saves time and angst.

Netball memberships one season we had to book a seat for each game. It was a real hassle for members and some found they missed out.

Scalpers will also have a field day buying an selling tickets for games.

It will be like finals tickets every week

punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:58 am

Lorelei wrote:
Such an interesting thread.

I am level 2 of the Ponsford - I'd be full on devastated to lose those seats but if this is the way footy is going then I think the way we even support the club will change.

I envisage that down the line maybe there will be no such thing as seats/seasons tickets at all. You become a member of 'The Club' that entitles you to finals access etc by paying a membership fee to help support the Club. This gives you access to then book games week to week, like we do at finals time or like going to a concert.

I also think without going to any games this year and maybe 2021, there will be a lot of people who realise they maybe don't miss it that much at all and stay that way.

I'd prefer the way they do it in the NHL. The "members" or season ticket holders get a big book of paper tickets for every game. If they then can't attend a game, they can on-sell them on somewhere like stub hub or give them to friends etc.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:16 pm

Lorelei wrote:

I envisage that down the line maybe there will be no such thing as seats/seasons tickets at all. You become a member of 'The Club' that entitles you to finals access etc by paying a membership fee to help support the Club. This gives you access to then book games week to week, like we do at finals time or like going to a concert.

I also think without going to any games this year and maybe 2021, there will be a lot of people who realise they maybe don't miss it that much at all and stay that way.

Just on my bolded bit, I think once people who are forced to watch Footy on TV due to CV-19 & in the comfort of their own home, will become lazy & some will develop a can't be fk'ed going attitude.
Unlike in years gone by, we had to wait for the 6:30pm Saturday night replay if we weren't there to watch the game live.

This will happen in Jnr Sports as well, once everything starts up again, Clubs will lose kids, left, right & centre because they won't want to go back, especially in Winter, only the die hards will continue...

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 7:44 pm

I agree
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:07 am

ANNODAM wrote:
Lorelei wrote:

Just on my bolded bit, I think once people who are forced to watch Footy on TV due to CV-19 & in the comfort of their own home, will become lazy & some will develop a can't be fk'ed going attitude.
Unlike in years gone by, we had to wait for the 6:30pm Saturday night replay if we weren't there to watch the game live.

This will happen in Jnr Sports as well, once everything starts up again, Clubs will lose kids, left, right & centre because they won't want to go back, especially in Winter, only the die hards will continue...

Happened to me. Circumstance meant I had to cancel membership one season, and actually enjoyed watching on TV so I could swear at the umpires on-screen, etc. Once I went back, especially with today’s theatre-going atmosphere and security guards looking for any moment of ‘passion’ to pounce on, I realised it ain’t what it used to be, especially with the snooze feat of a game that is the chip chip chip rolling maul we have today. I’m still a member, but it seems more comfortable and less vitriolic as a Collingwood supporter to support from home surrounded by like-minded Collingwood people. If we don’t re-build our own stadium like Geelong have, the experience of going to the footy is borderline pointless: made to feel inferior and unwelcome as a Colli Heidi supporter at our own home game/ground. No thanks.

barrackers 

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:46 am

Dark Beanie wrote:
I sit top level of the Ponsford with 7 other family members, one who drives down form the country to attend games. Having a reserved seat each home game saves time and angst.

Netball memberships one season we had to book a seat for each game. It was a real hassle for members and some found they missed out.

Scalpers will also have a field day buying an selling tickets for games.

It will be like finals tickets every week

Bugger that. I assume though that if you purchase a membership in a reserved bay that you're guaranteed a seat somewhere within the bay, but it's first in best dressed on match day. Obviously that's not helpful for bigger groups or people arriving late and wanting what they consider a good seat.

punkologist wrote:

I'd prefer the way they do it in the NHL. The "members" or season ticket holders get a big book of paper tickets for every game. If they then can't attend a game, they can on-sell them on somewhere like stub hub or give them to friends etc.

The closest we have is the ability to sell the seat back for any given week via the club's website. I've never done it myself, but the option is there.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:30 am

88MPH wrote:

This is exactly the point - in mucking around with our entitlements, in treating us like customers, not members, the Club is weakening the very thing that connects us all - the feeling that we are all part of something that unites us by spirit and passion. That no matter what, the most important people at our club are the members who sit in the freezing rain in sub-artic temperatures to support our team because that's what members do. Who bring their kids to the game as a right of passage because that's what members do. Who wrap their newborns in Collingwood gear because that's what members do. Who teach their kids Good Old Collingwood Forever before Waltzing Matilda or Advance Australia Fair, because that's what members do.

Our passion, our fire, our very selves, our black and white souls are not something that can be bought, sold or maneuvered. It's what we are. It's who we are. It's where we belong.

Once that intangible glue is taken away, footy becomes just another form of disposable entertainment - like last week's new release movie.

I have 3 kids. All are devastated that our Southern Stand reserved seats have been ripped away from us. None of them will feel about the Club that which I felt when I was their age. They now couldn't care less about Collingwood. They feel betrayed and so hurt. And when I tell the club this I get an indifferent shrug of the shoulders - a "well we've got lots more members mate" type of response.

Then the Club has the temerity and bald faced duplicity to tell us during Covid-19 that we are the most important part of the Club and that they are nothing without us.

I must admit that I held the opinion that the club over the years starting taking the game attending members for granted and this has been the case for the AFL as a whole due to the money flowing into the game from the TV rights deals. Eddie has talked the talk in respect to supporting the members but this has resulted in little action. As an example, the Holden centre is certainly not member friendly and when something is taking place around the club the members are denied entry.

I found it rather hypocritical that he should place such value on the membership seeing that their continued support will have a massive effect on the clubs bottom line. It is one thing to let the club retain a three game membership as opposed to retaining the full membership cost for a Legends Membership.

It was evident from some of Eddies responses to questions raised in various general meetings over the years that Eddie was of the opinion that it was a privileged for us to be able to support the club and it was all about what we could do for the club and not what the club could do for us. These responses were prompted from members requesting some form of improvement in the way the club catered for them at games etc.

It will also be interesting to see if the club give any concession or consideration for those who have donated up to a $1000 in membership fees in coming seasons.

This is certainly a time of great change and it will be interesting to see how things develop long term.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:13 pm

i agree here too, and especially the point about the Holden centre, its horrible. far too corporate, i feel like i need to dress to go watch training, even in the coffee shop the atmosphere is footy rabble aint welcome!

I am really waiting to see what happens re membership, its not even who can afford to donate, for me almost $800 plus my uni students nearly $600, its about what we get in return. What can we do for the club? we have been doing it for years, we turn up we support, we pay. Im not going to feel bad because, while i want the club to survive, im not throwing money away!

Magpiefan3 Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:54 pm

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/the-latest-on-afl-membership-refunds-161314?fbclid=IwAR16y2ugqN8P862CJ-6_w7UhO1iHhOiWh_IZUJksa5-IKy-SIyxL3eVDHs4

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:27 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
88MPH wrote:

I must admit that I held the opinion that the club over the years starting taking the game attending members for granted and this has been the case for the AFL as a whole due to the money flowing into the game from the TV rights deals. Eddie has talked the talk in respect to supporting the members but this has resulted in little action. As an example, the Holden centre is certainly not member friendly and when something is taking place around the club the members are denied entry.

I found it rather hypocritical that he should place such value on the membership seeing that their continued support will have a massive effect on the clubs bottom line. It is one thing to let the club retain a three game membership as opposed to retaining the full membership cost for a Legends Membership.

It was evident from some of Eddies responses to questions raised in various general meetings over the years that Eddie was of the opinion that it was a privileged for us to be able to support the club and it was all about what we could do for the club and not what the club could do for us. These responses were prompted from members requesting some form of improvement in the way the club catered for them at games etc.

It will also be interesting to see if the club give any concession or consideration for those who have donated up to a $1000 in membership fees in coming seasons.

This is certainly a time of great change and it will be interesting to see how things develop long term.

Agree 100% As a legends member, nearly $1000 for nothing for this season really should be recognized next year at least.

Our household income has taken a huge hit with my wife losing her job and me having forced unpaid leave. I really can't afford that $900. I tried calling the club to see if we can make some arrangement, but got voicemail suggesting I email.. I emailed weeks ago now and no response. I don't even want a refund, I just want to have some arrangement in place so that I can continue to be a member and not lose my seat and years of service (20 years next year) once this is all over. The payments have continued and I am going further into debt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16   

Jump to: