Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How are you dealing with the Covid 19 lockdown?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching Further Back In Time For Dinner on the ABC finding it really great and very interesting!

“What happens when you take an ordinary 2020 family back in time 120 years to immerse themselves in five decades of Australian history? Over five episodes, join Annabel Crabb as she guides the Ferrone family back through history as they cook, eat, and live, from Australia’s Federation to the 1940s.”

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:01 am

Work, more work, gardening and enjoying the great weather. A bit too much TV watching.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:22 am

6 months into the Dandemic and it feels this entire year has been a complete $$%^%%$ waste of time.

Last year I was getting great marks at Uni, passing with flying colours, enjoying my work.

This year I've learnt nothing, scraping by, starting assignments a few hours before they are due or in the case of the other week, after it was due thanks to the power outage.

Last year I could do things, go places, then in the afternoon start working, do the research, go to umpire or cricket training, come home and finish it. It was a great mix of work and pleasure and I was motivated to get things done early.

Now day after day goes by and nothing gets done, no enjoyment in life just absolute misery day after day, half the time no idea what day of the week or month it actually is. I spend hours just staring at the computer, opening and closing readings and nothing happens.

Then I find out this week what was to be the final subject in my degree has been cancelled due to the pandemic, so looks like I won't be finishing this year any more.

No one in my family is coping, my nan and sister after 6 months together are ready to kill each other. Being old and at risk they've been following the premiers advice of isolating and it has only made their lives miserable and too scared to ever step foot into another restaurant or supermarket.

Meanwhile day after day you see everyone else in the country enjoying their lives and have been for months...
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:27 am

It’s startling to read that, Eddie. Your experience is sui generis. Have you ever stopped to think that you and your family might be the only people in the whole of Victoria inconvenienced by this?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:47 am

Whinge less and work more. You will feel a lot better, and start to achieve some success in your life. What happened to your academic success?

(Alternatively, just respond to this with even more whinging. It won't help anyone, least of all yourself, but when you are in a bad place, why not make it worse?)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:43 am

Ok. I see both sides.

My daughter is flying through her uni course, her marks are out of this world, but she is taking the time to exercise, meet friends for walks - whilst following all the guidelines, no cheating, and She is now back to her child minding job a couple of mornings a week.

I too have sat and looked at my screen, walked to the fridge, moped around and wasted too much time. I have things I want to do but I always always do the things I have to do first, but at times I don’t want to, sometimes I literally can’t. And then I regret it. I too have had it pointed out to me that there are people a lot worse off. So what. I still have a right to feel how I feel. Most days I climb that mountain. But a couple of days I have spent the day in my pjs, or almost all of it, and watched way to much trash tv, don’t tell the bride is a favourite! But I’m lucky I’m in tune enough with myself to know when I need to protect myself, and I also know the days I can say get off your arse and stop feeling sorry for yourself,

Eddie I’ve argued with you, and told you to stop feeling sorry for yourself, but I also applaud you for speaking your truth, and voicing your despair. That’s a brave thing, especially for a male. Stui has done that too lately. But you seem to be struggling in a big way, and I can see that your empathy for your grandma and family is a part of that, hopefully that part of your anxiety will soon be gone, and we can all travel around again. Mate talk to a professional if you need to, I went to my local doc once, and somehow it ended with me just crying. I didn’t need anything, I didn’t need a councillor, I just needed to let it go. I’m lucky I have an amazing doctor who just gets that. She’s one in a million.

As for staring at the screen I set myself a goal and then set myself a reward, I still do this! I hate working from home even though I know how fortunate I am to live the life I live. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves of the good even if you can’t quite see it at the time.

As for the assignments, I truly believe if you don’t plan you plan to fail. If you like your course find the thing in the assignment that excites you. I love listening to junior talk about her assignments at the moment because she is so passionate about her studies. I’m also learning. For example She did indigenous studies between terms, and listening to her made me regret some of the posts I’ve made here on th3 subject. Life is all a learning curve, this one is a zinger for us all. Never ever be ashamed t9 voice your feelings. Yes sometimes we are sooking, so what? It’s a $$%^%%$ stressful time no mater who you are (unless you that prick Gillan who is making his own rules!)

Find a way mate. Don’t give up. Because you truly are worth it. You have to look after yourself to be able to look after anyone else.

I used to put my heart on here regularly and I stopped. I’ve learned not to share certain things, and I had a major revelation last year that shook me to the core. I got through it by protecting my heart. No shame in that. Keep venting. Find a way to get through it. Yes sometimes you will be sooking, but give yourself a reward for a challenge, no one gets to tell you how high that mountain is for you on any given day. Especially now in these times. What really really gives you joy?

On Thursday I did the most farout photo composite of a friend, really bizarre and I posted it thinking I’d get a lot of WTF. Comments, but everyone loved it and everyone got it! Life is crazy right now. And it’s hard. For everyone.

Guys do not harden up, do not have a bag of concrete for breakfast, the $$%^%%$ stuff tends to crack at the worst moment, it’s brittle, and it breaks you.

This thread was called how are you dealing with lockdown?

It should be a safe place to answer that.

And if you don’t like a post, if you have nothing productive, supportive to offer, scroll on by.

Go at me. I can take it, nothing anyone can say here can beat what I have already dealt with, it took me a long time to realise that, now excuse me while I go annoy my family with a hearty rendition of I Am Woman followed by a walk with the dogs, with masks of course, cheers.

Last edited by think positive on Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:44 am

Geez, startling levels of empathy there. I strongly suggest that neither P4S or Tannin ever volunteer to work on Lifeline or any other form of counselling for people suffering depression. Rolling Eyes
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:02 am

^ It's the constant whingeing and pretending that it's only hard for people with contrary politics that gets me.

Of course it's difficult. It's difficult for everyone. But whining about it doesn't help.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 am

While the reactions above probably have more to do with who posted it than what was written, I think it’s fair enough to say that this sucks and articulate exactly what personal impact it’s been having.

I feel like there’s a little bit of a subtle social expectation that, because we’re all mostly going through the same shit right now to varying degrees, the correct response is a kind of stiff-upper-lip false stoicism. Maybe some people genuinely feel that way or feel that complaining is futile, but I reckon it’s healthier (and, ultimately, probably a little more honest) to have a vent about it every now and then.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am

^
@P4S

But everyone deals with things differently. If someone was genuinely depressed and angry and the only outlet they had to release that was a bulletin board, is telling them to stop whinging and work harder being helpful or is it more likely to be the straw that sends someone to the back shed looking for a rope?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:38 pm

Nothing like an irrelevant hypothetical, is there? He's just posting more partisan bilge. "6 months into the Dandemic"? Pull the other one.

I've had it. I have plenty of sympathy for people who are doing it tough, or feel that they are. I have no sympathy for those who are just engaged in political trolling.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:53 pm

Thank you to those who were supportive

Partisan trolling? Yeah that’s why QLD and WA are used as examples of a happy place to be...My Aunty is pro Labor and ready to kill herself.

The only thing that shits me is when Dan working full time with a massive pay rise tells everyone he understands what we’re going through...

No I don’t think I’m the only one struggling, plenty are yet so many people who are working full time or enjoying being paid to sit at home keep telling everyone to suck it up and deal with it, **** off.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:10 pm

Tannin wrote:
Whinge less and work more. You will feel a lot better, and start to achieve some success in your life. What happened to your academic success?
)

The biggest comment I get now is it could have done with another draft because previously where I got motivated to do the first draft two weeks out, it sits as a blank document till the night before!

Whilst I understand the sentiment, it’s hard to do the work when you can’t get the pleasure as well, we all need a healthy balance in our lives and the last 6 months there has been none.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:24 pm

think positive wrote:
Ok. I see both sides.

My daughter is flying through her uni course, her marks are out of this world, but she is taking the time to exercise, meet friends for walks - whilst following all the guidelines, no cheating, and She is now back to her child minding job a couple of mornings a week.

I too have sat and looked at my screen, walked to the fridge, moped around and wasted too much time. I have things I want to do but I always always do the things I have to do first, but at times I don’t want to, sometimes I literally can’t. And then I regret it. I too have had it pointed out to me that there are people a lot worse off. So what. I still have a right to feel how I feel. Most days I climb that mountain. But a couple of days I have spent the day in my pjs, or almost all of it, and watched way to much trash tv, don’t tell the bride is a favourite! But I’m lucky I’m in tune enough with myself to know when I need to protect myself, and I also know the days I can say get off your arse and stop feeling sorry for yourself,

Eddie I’ve argued with you, and told you to stop feeling sorry for yourself, but I also applaud you for speaking your truth, and voicing your despair. That’s a brave thing, especially for a male. Stui has done that too lately. But you seem to be struggling in a big way, and I can see that your empathy for your grandma and family is a part of that, hopefully that part of your anxiety will soon be gone, and we can all travel around again. Mate talk to a professional if you need to, I went to my local doc once, and somehow it ended with me just crying. I didn’t need anything, I didn’t need a councillor, I just needed to let it go. I’m lucky I have an amazing doctor who just gets that. She’s one in a million.

As for staring at the screen I set myself a goal and then set myself a reward, I still do this! I hate working from home even though I know how fortunate I am to live the life I live. Sometimes we need to remind ourselves of the good even if you can’t quite see it at the time.

As for the assignments, I truly believe if you don’t plan you plan to fail. If you like your course find the thing in the assignment that excites you. I love listening to junior talk about her assignments at the moment because she is so passionate about her studies. I’m also learning. For example She did indigenous studies between terms, and listening to her made me regret some of the posts I’ve made here on th3 subject. Life is all a learning curve, this one is a zinger for us all. Never ever be ashamed t9 voice your feelings. Yes sometimes we are sooking, so what? It’s a $�$%^%%$ stressful time no mater who you are (unless you that prick Gillan who is making his own rules!)

Find a way mate. Don’t give up. Because you truly are worth it. You have to look after yourself to be able to look after anyone else.

I used to put my heart on here regularly and I stopped. I’ve learned not to share certain things, and I had a major revelation last year that shook me to the core. I got through it by protecting my heart. No shame in that. Keep venting. Find a way to get through it. Yes sometimes you will be sooking, but give yourself a reward for a challenge, no one gets to tell you how high that mountain is for you on any given day. Especially now in these times. What really really gives you joy?

On Thursday I did the most farout photo composite of a friend, really bizarre and I posted it thinking I’d get a lot of WTF. Comments, but everyone loved it and everyone got it! Life is crazy right now. And it’s hard. For everyone.

Guys do not harden up, do not have a bag of concrete for breakfast, the $�$%^%%$ stuff tends to crack at the worst moment, it’s brittle, and it breaks you.

This thread was called how are you dealing with lockdown?

It should be a safe place to answer that.

And if you don’t like a post, if you have nothing productive, supportive to offer, scroll on by.

Go at me. I can take it, nothing anyone can say here can beat what I have already dealt with, it took me a long time to realise that, now excuse me while I go annoy my family with a hearty rendition of I Am Woman followed by a walk with the dogs, with masks of course, cheers.

Thanks TP 🙏 that’s great to hear about your daughter, when you get that healthy life balance it makes the hard things much easier.

The biggest thing getting me at least some passing marks is group work, I wonder how she feels about groups? Mention group work to most uni students and the fear comes over them! But it’s the group assignments that get me working again, I can’t let people down and won’t so I get something done. Then it helps when you have some marks and can see a light at the end of the tunnel

It’s why the last announcement hit so many people so hard, for 10 weeks we were told suck it up, it’s nearly over, then we get a week out from ending and it gets extended by a minimum of another 6 weeks.

It’s like Melburnians are Wile E Coyote and the end of lockdown is the road runner, every time we get close we hit a brick wall and it gets further and further away.

You’re right about finding things that excite you, one of my subjects Ive finished this semester and got great marks so far for is because the assignment was an open and creative piece on something I wanted to do. I did on an organisation that has brought me great joy and because I enjoyed it and knew the content, it turned out great.

It’s interesting when you look back at this year and just realise what actually did make you happy in the past, that even when things there frustrated you the overall enjoyment is sorely missed.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:46 pm

cheers mate - She hates group assignments for the most part, because She has had some lousy groups, but like you She wont let anyone down. Im not sure your circumstances, but is there someone you know locally you can meet at their gate and walk with? Im one of those annoying people who talks to everyone, so even if i walk alone, i end up with conversation, and honey, we all need conversation. cheers, you got this mate, only 21 today, so surely this is nearly over xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 13 of 15   

Jump to: