Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

How are you dealing with the Covid 19 lockdown?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wodonga and Toc is comparable, although Wodonga is closer to the mountains, Toc is 90 miles west in basically open flat land.

I do like the sunny winters days up there, nights are literally freezing but and summers can be brutal.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:42 pm

Cheers, its been a long time since I've been to Toc, probably when I was a kid, my uncle loved to take us to the Golf Club I think when we went up to visit them in Numurkah.

Worst thing about is the summers is they go too long. Before we got kicked out of the place I stupidly umpired 9 straight qtrs of football in stinking hot weather and it was March!
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:52 pm

Hmmm got a general question - is it possible to relocate to a regional/small town and not be absorbed into the community? I’ve lived in many remote and not so remote areas in the NT, WA and Qld years ago but always knew I was there for a short time - was always work related.

We want to move to somewhere warm - out of town a bit - but I have no interest in becoming part of the community - happy to smile and wave but that’s it - doable??

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:20 am

Yep you’ll just be the ones everyone gossips about!
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:33 am

Morrigu, I lived in a small town for years and was often surprised at how many people I never met until I volunteered to work in a charity second hand book store so I reckon it's doable.

Pretty sure Qld, NT and WA have border restrictions unless you are travelling to work in an essential service. (You'd be snapped up in a heartbeat)

I'm now living in a larger town and still have some work so have been volunteering at a nursing home and planting trees to restore a rare species in a part of a national park that was planted with pines that were harvested a couple of decades ago. There has been some nice rain to water them in over the past week.

Unfortunately the financial stress of the economic downturn has gotten the better of my relationship with my partner so Ill probably be relocating too! The prospect scares the hell out of me.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:52 am

think positive wrote:
Laughing so no change then...
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:06 am

partypie wrote:
Morrigu, I lived in a small town for years and was often surprised at how many people I never met until I volunteered to work in a charity second hand book store so I reckon it's doable.

Pretty sure Qld, NT and WA have border restrictions unless you are travelling to work in an essential service. (You'd be snapped up in a heartbeat)

I'm now living in a larger town and still have some work so have been volunteering at a nursing home and planting trees to restore a rare species in a part of a national park that was planted with pines that were harvested a couple of decades ago. There has been some nice rain to water them in over the past week.

Unfortunately the financial stress of the economic downturn has gotten the better of my relationship with my partner so Ill probably be relocating too! The prospect scares the hell out of me.

Oh I’m sorry to hear that PP - I sound very selfish and probably am. We are looking at moving when we retire -hopefully soonish but not imminent. I can’t and won’t move anywhere whilst my mum is still alive I am her primary carer and she deserves the best I can give her.

I’m a nurse so living and working in different regional/remote areas when I was young was easy and I wasn’t as antisocial as I am now. Having some land and native bush and critters would be wonderful but the thought of having to become part of a community makes me extremely agitated and fearful - we don’t have children or grand children obviously so.....

I really hope things work out for the best for you!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:30 am

Good look PP, which ever way it goes, take care of yourself
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:15 am

Morrigu wrote:
Hmmm got a general question - is it possible to relocate to a regional/small town and not be absorbed into the community? I’ve lived in many remote and not so remote areas in the NT, WA and Qld years ago but always knew I was there for a short time - was always work related.

We want to move to somewhere warm - out of town a bit - but I have no interest in becoming part of the community - happy to smile and wave but that’s it - doable??

I grew up in Toc, back then it was a town of 1000 people.

Very easy to do your own thing, , you don't have to join in stuff.

Get a bit of land out of town, hobby farm size, get some chooks and a vege garden (and a rifle for foxes) go to town once a fortnight for supplies.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:01 pm

^ Yes that's the plan without the chooks and a rifle Smile

Was looking at Hervey Bay but gone off that - rates and crime rate too high.

Need somewhere where winter is very mild neither of us can cope with the cold!

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Geez, you're looking at Qld then. or nearby. Have a look at Alstonville. A mate of mine has a few acres out of town up there, the climate sounds about right.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:42 pm

Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:

Didn't they go off tap when I visited you at work that time? Razz

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
think positive wrote:

Didn't they go off tap when I visited you at work that time? Razz

Laughing Laughing Sure did for weeks they went on - very entertaining!!

Really you have a mate in Alstonville - well I’ll be ya know! I have about 15 or so cousins living there - when they arrived mum’s folks settled in Coraki on the Richmond river. She went to Sydney to do nursing and her siblings settled in Alstonville.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:59 pm

Well get up there, it clearly works for your family. Razz Wink

Yeah, mate I went to High School with in Finley. Our yr 12 year scattered to the 4 winds. Him and I went and did the NSW public service entrance test in 84, I went to Melbourne to do the Telecom entrance test as well. He got offered a gig with the NSW pubic service and headed up to Sydney and a life of couch surfing, share houses and saving cash before ending up at Ballna and buying land in Alstonville.

I got a gig with Telecom and moved to Melbourne, got married and divorced and spent the next 20 years being a single parent with no money.

He has the nice spot in the bush, 2 school age kids, maintenance to pay and a need to work for a few years yet, my kids are 28 and 30 and I have a grandson and intend to stop working ASAP.

Sliding doors or diverging paths. Cool

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Well get up there, it clearly works for your family. Razz Wink

Yeah nah rather be freezing Laughing

stui magpie wrote:
Sliding doors or diverging paths. Cool

Strange the way life turns out sometimes isn’t it - not often but sometimes I wonder what if .........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15   

Jump to: