Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Being shafted by ebay sellers and other online sellers

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:26 pm
Post subject: Being shafted by ebay sellers and other online sellersReply with quote

Gee whizz.

I dont often buy from ebay/amazon/gumtree/etc, but it seems just about every time I do, there's an issue.

Either somethings missing, broken/damaged, nothing shows up, the wrong thing was sent, the description is completely wrong,...

Is the world really full of that many people trying to steal a buck?

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do much online shopping but I've had nothing but good experiences on ebay. Never been ripped off. Never had to send anything back. And saved lots of money. Bad luck?
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:02 pm

Well maybe it's not every time, but the percentage is still high.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:29 pm

I'll have to side with thesoretoothsayer here (for once! Wink) – barely ever had a bad experience on Ebay or Amazon, and I've bought a lot of stuff from each. On the other hand, I mostly get DVDs and books, which I guess are hard to screw up? Maybe other products are less reliable?
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 6:15 pm

I haven't had a bad experience either but I only buy new products from sellers with a rating or 97 or above. I also read the unfavourable reviews as a guide to their level of dodgyness.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:21 pm

I don't use Gumtree much, but I've bought a few things off Ebay and never had a problem.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:35 pm

Good and bad. Bought a second hand lens that wouldn’t focus, sent it back got a refund, been ripped off once as a buyer, as a seller I had someone pay for a couple of office chairs, $200 and never picked them up! I tried to give the money back but they didn’t answer their email! That made up for the rip off.

Sold a few things, and bought a few on marketplace, but not much, I don’t know it’s a bit yuk. Not keen on strangers at the door. Cars etc is ok, I tend to walk outside and close the door, or meet them at our workshop. Gumtree is great for furniture, I’ve bought 2 lounge suites that were as good as new, people put them I. Formal rooms and don’t use them! The one in my seldom used front room was 13 months old, I paid 1,000 and the receipt said $3,500, and it came with a special cleaning kit! The other was just for upstairs, was only 6 months old.

I used to sell massive amounts on eBay, but not anymore, for clothing etc post istoo expensive, and for big things ebays policies are ridiculous, PayPal just gives people money back. Mindyou on Saturday I listed our old truck that had s blown gearbox, it sold in 1 hour and they picked it up that day, they wanted a better deal, I just said no, you bid on it!

What have yo7 been ripped off on? Getting substandard or fake items?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 7:41 pm

And yes the world has far too many people trying to steal a buck! I’m looking for a hotel in Paris, and read about a bag being stolen from between their legs as they checked In! Just unbelievable
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:37 pm

Well it's happened again.

First ebay delivery to new address and Australia Post say they left it in a safe place even though we've both been at home during the lockdown.

One email says it was delivered on the 15th at 5:15 pm and the one from ebay says it was delivered on the 14th at 1:55 pm.

There's been nothing dropped off, but Australia Post say they are no liable for missing safe drops and ebay say the seller used registered post so they are not liable either.

WTF man?!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:26 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Well it's happened again.

First ebay delivery to new address and Australia Post say they left it in a safe place even though we've both been at home during the lockdown.

One email says it was delivered on the 15th at 5:15 pm and the one from ebay says it was delivered on the 14th at 1:55 pm.

There's been nothing dropped off, but Australia Post say they are no liable for missing safe drops and ebay say the seller used registered post so they are not liable either.

WTF man?!

did you pay by paypal? put in a claim, if you paid for registered they have to show a signed delivery notice. you will get the money back.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 pm

Damn that sucks, but I’ve been lucky *touch wood* that I’ve never had an issue on EBay or gumtree.

I sold something on EBay recently and very quickly identified the scammers, oh so many!
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:54 pm

I never do anything serious on Ebay, small purchases only. ($30, $50 typically. I'll go to a few hundred if I've dealt with the seller before and know them.)

But only from regular professional Ebay merchants. I have never bought anything from blow-ins, only regular merchants with a reputation to protect and a future to look after.

There is no point whatever to Gumtree. It is just a scam site pretending to be Not-Ebay so that people who hate Ebay have somewhere else to go, not knowing they've been tricked and are buying from Ebay anyway.

The Book Depository is the same trick: it's actually only Amazon pretending to be Not-Amazon to trick people. For books, go to Angus & Robinson or Booktopia. (Both are the same company, Aussie based and owned; often cheaper than Amazon, great range, and much faster delivery, of course.)

I've recently bought a few things on Ali Express, which is a Chinese cross between Amazon and Ebay, only cheaper. Good results. (If I'm going to be giving money to and enabling a gigantic foreign company, i'd just as soon it was a Chinese one rather than an American one.)

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:13 pm

I haven't bought anything off Ali, but I've been giving Amazon a pounding. If there's a choice between 2 or more similar items, I try to avoid buying from China or made in China.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Last year they said that 6 our of ten sellers on Gumtree are scammers... that's not a great reputation. I've tried using in once and the seller asked me to say I'd received the item so he can pay for it straight away... I said nah and didnt pay.

Let Gumtree know about it, but no reply.

I hate how there's so much money to be made by taking advantage of people. That or theft during the delivery process.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:37 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I haven't bought anything off Ali, but I've been giving Amazon a pounding. If there's a choice between 2 or more similar items, I try to avoid buying from China or made in China.

If there is a choice between two similar items, I try to avoid buying from American companies in general, and especially Amazon. Not a big fan of China, but at least it's not the damn USA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: