Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hubs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood now has the record for the most f-bombs ever said in a club meeting, when the hub plan was explained in detail to the players and staff. From what I hear, they didn't hold back what they really think of it.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:54 am

Players have to accept criticism from Olympians, cricketers and others who think they are a bit precious.

Luckily our naval officers have more of a backbone and don’t cry to have their family with them aboard a ship when they are deployed.

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Military personnel would know what they were signing up for, and do what they do in the national interest.

I'm not sure we can compare footy players to that.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:50 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Military personnel would know what they were signing up for, and do what they do in the national interest.

It's a Very Stupid Comparison.

They go to war as the Country is trying to take over the World/Country where this is just Footy

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:04 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:

What you talking bout Willis. We always compare football to the military.

"Oh mate, I don't know if we've ever seen 44 blokes go to war like that. It was amazing”
— Nick Maxwell, Collingwood captain

"It's war today. It's not too often you come back to fight another war a week later"
— Brendon Goddard, St Kilda midfielder
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:07 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Collingwood now has the record for the most f-bombs ever said in a club meeting, when the hub plan was explained in detail to the players and staff. From what I hear, they didn't hold back what they really think of it.

Perfectly understandable. Don't think there would be anyone - players or staff - who would choose or welcome living and playing in a quarantined hub.

However, with time, they may gain another perspective on it, such as Chris Fagan has:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-chris-fagan-sen-interview-neale-daniher-text-message-coronavirus-news-updates/news-story/58cfc0e7baa89f4034f33cb33a852828

Plus, there's a good chance that it will never come to 20 weeks in a quarantine hub. That's the worst case scenario. There could be a progression of "mini-hubs", which would be far more palatable.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-eddie-mcguire-player-hub-quarantine-covid19-season-restart-coronavirus-news-updates/news-story/c0bde93fab0d5210224a8301252bf4c9
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:12 pm

Bucks5 wrote:
I heard on the radio news this morning that President Eddie has come out said the idea was complete rubbish. There is more chance of him joining the Carlton cheer squad than getting these young men to agree to be away from their partners and families for 20 weeks.

Last night on Footy Classified, Eddie did not say that the hub idea itself was complete rubbish, but the notion that it's the AFL's preferred option is rubbish.
Have a look at the link given above.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:13 pm

Eddie on 9 said 20 weeks was the "Doomsday Scenario". He said they hoped domestic travel restrictions would be lifted, and then teams could just fly in and out, e.g. Pies fly to WA, play WC on Thu, Freo on Tue, and then fly home.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:40 pm

K wrote:
Eddie on 9 said 20 weeks was the "Doomsday Scenario". He said they hoped domestic travel restrictions would be lifted, and then teams could just fly in and out, e.g. Pies fly to WA, play WC on Thu, Freo on Tue, and then fly home.

Be at least 2-3 Month before I can see Domestic Travel being Allowed.

IF it gets to that Stage I doubt there be a Season IF they need 4 month away

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:59 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
You must feel confident then Jezza, that if there isn't a season in 2020, there can still be a viable one in 2021?

Eddie said tonight on Footy Classified that there's a 500 million dollar shortfall to make some ground on, before even considering what 2021 might look like.
It's hard to know just how precarious a position our great game is in. The Adelaide CEO who is on the finance committee would only say "it's ugly". I'm certain the AFL would probably not want footy supporters to know the exact situation regarding this.

Eddie also emphasized that the hubs are the worst possible scenario and everyone in the AFL war cabinet is hoping that they can miraculously be avoided.

There's no denying the financial hit of not playing any games is hurting the AFL and all clubs, but I find it extraordinary that the AFL can't survive a whole year without football. Many assumed the AFL would have cash reserves stored away, but instead they were begging for a $600 million loan with Marvel Stadium and some land they own used as surety.

If a season was not to be held this year, only four clubs could self sustain themselves without AFL assistance (West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn). The other clubs would need assistance to get through the year.

In reality, this is all about broadcasting revenue and the AFL is desperate to start a competition of some sort this year.

I just don't believe many people will be interested this year even if a competition takes place. People will watch it, but they won't be emotionally invested in the competition and rightly or wrongly most will see the premiership as having an * next to it.

I can live without a season for a year. What 2021 brings us, no one knows, but I hope a semblance of normality will return by then. If 2021 is another year of disruption, my concern for the club and our competition would significantly increase.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 pm

For sure Jezza, the 2020 season is now primarily about broadcasting revenue.
So be it. If it helps to make a less disrupted 2021 season more likely, I can accept that and go with it.

The Pies could play on the moon and I'd still be emotionally invested Wink Plus, I reckon I'll be so starved of real time footy by then, I'll even watch a few other teams' matches. Laughing
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:37 pm

PS If we were to win a premiership with an asterisk next to it, (which wouldn't be surprising given our history of near misses ie that our next one would be won at the end of a compromised season!), I would embrace it with tears of joy and wouldn't give a tinker's cuss/ rat's arse/ flying f&^k about the * Smile
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Jezza wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
You must feel confident then Jezza, that if there isn't a season in 2020, there can still be a viable one in 2021?

Eddie said tonight on Footy Classified that there's a 500 million dollar shortfall to make some ground on, before even considering what 2021 might look like.
It's hard to know just how precarious a position our great game is in. The Adelaide CEO who is on the finance committee would only say "it's ugly". I'm certain the AFL would probably not want footy supporters to know the exact situation regarding this.

Eddie also emphasized that the hubs are the worst possible scenario and everyone in the AFL war cabinet is hoping that they can miraculously be avoided.

There's no denying the financial hit of not playing any games is hurting the AFL and all clubs, but I find it extraordinary that the AFL can't survive a whole year without football. Many assumed the AFL would have cash reserves stored away, but instead they were begging for a $600 million loan with Marvel Stadium and some land they own used as surety.

If a season was not to be held this year, only four clubs could self sustain themselves without AFL assistance (West Coast, Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn). The other clubs would need assistance to get through the year.

In reality, this is all about broadcasting revenue and the AFL is desperate to start a competition of some sort this year.

I just don't believe many people will be interested this year even if a competition takes place. People will watch it, but they won't be emotionally invested in the competition and rightly or wrongly most will see the premiership as having an * next to it.

I can live without a season for a year. What 2021 brings us, no one knows, but I hope a semblance of normality will return by then. If 2021 is another year of disruption, my concern for the club and our competition would significantly increase.

It’s not just about broadcasting revenue ... actually it is. Without that money, some clubs will go under unless players take a really big cut in salary. If the players want long term viability for the league and jobs, the product needs to be available as soon as possible. Hubs or not s a choice they’ll need to make but that choice is not without consequence.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:28 am

dalyc wrote:

It’s not just about broadcasting revenue ... actually it is. Without that money, some clubs will go under unless players take a really big cut in salary. If the players want long term viability for the league and jobs, the product needs to be available as soon as possible. Hubs or not s a choice they’ll need to make but that choice is not without consequence.

Yep, I agree. This seems to be the stark reality of the present situation.

With no crowds, obviously there is no gate revenue for clubs. As Jezza said above, that means that most clubs will have to seek assistance from the AFL to remain afloat for 2021.

Although the AFL fiscal situation is obviously not public knowledge, (although Eddie did mention something about a 500 million debt. Was he exaggerating???). Their desperation to get the 2020 season going and get some broadcasting revenue would suggest that otherwise, they won't have the means to provide that kind of financial support going forward for so many clubs.

Makes me question all over again, that decision made years ago to establish "expansion teams" in GWS and the GC Suns. Although who knows.... if the NRL folds and sports fans are looking for a new interest, those two clubs may end up subsidizing a couple of Melbourne based ones!
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:52 am

"The national cabinet will meet on Friday to work out guidelines for elite and community sport to return as debate continues over the AFL and NRL restarting".

Okay... those guidelines will be interesting to hear Wink

Quoted from:
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-quarantine-hub-plan-hostile-response-from-players-hubs-not-needed-afl-season-return-date-isaac-heeney/news-story/6df52cb5b91784e7a4f1621c1d6535c1 Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8   

Jump to: