Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hubs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony of Australian cricketers calling footballers precious.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:16 pm

Hubs are a silly idea especially for prolonged periods of time.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:59 pm

Hubs are stupid it will not go ahead.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 2:20 pm

**** everyone wants a professional club with the best people in it. They also want full time players committed to their club. They want world class training facilities and the best recruiting staff money can buy.

Then bitch that the AFL is all about money that broadcast rights are important to the clubs financial position

Make up your mind cannot have both

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:20 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
dalyc wrote:

It’s not just about broadcasting revenue ... actually it is. Without that money, some clubs will go under unless players take a really big cut in salary. If the players want long term viability for the league and jobs, the product needs to be available as soon as possible. Hubs or not s a choice they’ll need to make but that choice is not without consequence.

Yep, I agree. This seems to be the stark reality of the present situation.

With no crowds, obviously there is no gate revenue for clubs. As Jezza said above, that means that most clubs will have to seek assistance from the AFL to remain afloat for 2021.

Although the AFL fiscal situation is obviously not public knowledge, (although Eddie did mention something about a 500 million debt. Was he exaggerating???). Their desperation to get the 2020 season going and get some broadcasting revenue would suggest that otherwise, they won't have the means to provide that kind of financial support going forward for so many clubs.

Makes me question all over again, that decision made years ago to establish "expansion teams" in GWS and the GC Suns. Although who knows.... if the NRL folds and sports fans are looking for a new interest, those two clubs may end up subsidizing a couple of Melbourne based ones!

PP that $500M debt is, I think, a line of credit that the AFL has negotiated with the banks to get the league through the next however many months. If then season started tomorrow they'd not need anywhere near that amount but if there's no footy till next year then there will be a lot of actual debt with necessary changes to service that debt. Some of those changes might be fewer clubs, smaller lists, smaller salary caps, smaller soft caps on coaches etc. All of these things will seriously impact players immediatlely or in the future and in my view that's why a safe return to footy ASAP is critical. Hubs will have there problems but they're likely to be much less significant than the problems that will come from continued and extensive delays to playing, watching and broadcasting footy.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:53 pm

^ Thanks for the reply dalyc and explaining the debt situation more clearly.
Your last sentence sums up the situation precisely IMHO.

It is said that "a week is a long time in footy" and now it seems that applies to just a few days! It's looking more likely that "mini-hubs" will be the way the season gets started again ie a teams flying to a destination, staying there to play a couple of matches and then coming home again, all the while in strict quarantine conditions. There is even hope that the last part of the season will be played without hubs of any sort.

Whatever form it comes in, it will be fantastic to watch live footy again. Smile
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 pm

This Hubs is a shit idea, and u cannot have games of footy with no crowds, no fans, it just bloody ludicrous, it was a miserable failure in round one, fans are the lifeblood of the game, period. Any Grand final won in this Hubs crap idea, will always be labelled a mickey mouse fake Premiership, that wont count as a real flag would, with a massive crowd at the MCG. League is wanking itself if it thinks this hub crap will draw back fans, via television, played in darwin or some such place way up north, or in bloody Perth. get real.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:41 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:

It is said that "a week is a long time in footy" and now it seems that applies to just a few days! It's looking more likely that "mini-hubs" will be the way the season gets started again ie a teams flying to a destination, staying there to play a couple of matches and then coming home again, all the while in strict quarantine conditions. There is even hope that the last part of the season will be played without hubs of any sort.

Whatever form it comes in, it will be fantastic to watch live footy again. Smile

Totally disagree, this Hubs is a ridiculous idea. Ludicrous, u cannot have gamew with NO fans, no crowds, u just cant do it, Fans are the life blood of the game, always have been, and any flag won under this mickey mouse hubs shit idea, will be tarnished, i hope we dont win it, or play in any GF with no fans in attendance. I watched the first ever footy film, the 1909 GF between blues and swans, and even way way back then, u can see the fans really getting involved in the game, yelling out, abusing the umpire, in 1900s clothes at a very different MCG, but even then, fans were an integral part of the game, no fans, no games, no atmosphere, nothing. I have no interest in this hubs crap, its utterly inane. Rolling Eyes

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:43 pm

90 nice wrote:
Hubs are stupid it will not go ahead.

SPOT ON. Exclamation

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:57 am

Piesnchess wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:

Totally disagree, this Hubs is a ridiculous idea. Ludicrous, u cannot have gamew with NO fans, no crowds, u just cant do it, Fans are the life blood of the game, always have been, and any flag won under this mickey mouse hubs shit idea, will be tarnished, i hope we dont win it, or play in any GF with no fans in attendance. I watched the first ever footy film, the 1909 GF between blues and swans, and even way way back then, u can see the fans really getting involved in the game, yelling out, abusing the umpire, in 1900s clothes at a very different MCG, but even then, fans were an integral part of the game, no fans, no games, no atmosphere, nothing. I have no interest in this hubs crap, its utterly inane. Rolling Eyes

When my team is playing I will be watching them. It means nothing to me, or any other Pies supporter, if you don’t. Can’t wait for it to be back.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 11:58 am

Piesnchess wrote:
I have no interest in this hubs crap, its utterly inane. Rolling Eyes

Whatever Piesnchess.... it's your prerogative as to how and when you watch and support your team Wink
Your view does not dampen my enthusiasm in looking forward to seeing the Pies playing again, in whatever capacity.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Surely they can quarantine a few thousand supporters so there's some noise at the games? El Presidente's palace can be our hub.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:41 pm

dalyc wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
dalyc wrote:

It’s not just about broadcasting revenue ... actually it is. Without that money, some clubs will go under unless players take a really big cut in salary. If the players want long term viability for the league and jobs, the product needs to be available as soon as possible. Hubs or not s a choice they’ll need to make but that choice is not without consequence.

Yep, I agree. This seems to be the stark reality of the present situation.

With no crowds, obviously there is no gate revenue for clubs. As Jezza said above, that means that most clubs will have to seek assistance from the AFL to remain afloat for 2021.

Although the AFL fiscal situation is obviously not public knowledge, (although Eddie did mention something about a 500 million debt. Was he exaggerating???). Their desperation to get the 2020 season going and get some broadcasting revenue would suggest that otherwise, they won't have the means to provide that kind of financial support going forward for so many clubs.

Makes me question all over again, that decision made years ago to establish "expansion teams" in GWS and the GC Suns. Although who knows.... if the NRL folds and sports fans are looking for a new interest, those two clubs may end up subsidizing a couple of Melbourne based ones!

PP that $500M debt is, I think, a line of credit that the AFL has negotiated with the banks to get the league through the next however many months. If then season started tomorrow they'd not need anywhere near that amount but if there's no footy till next year then there will be a lot of actual debt with necessary changes to service that debt. Some of those changes might be fewer clubs, smaller lists, smaller salary caps, smaller soft caps on coaches etc. All of these things will seriously impact players immediatlely or in the future and in my view that's why a safe return to footy ASAP is critical. Hubs will have there problems but they're likely to be much less significant than the problems that will come from continued and extensive delays to playing, watching and broadcasting footy.

IIRC it's actually $600Million, secured against Marvel Stadium as collateral,

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:30 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Any Grand final won in this Hubs crap idea, will always be labelled a mickey mouse fake Premiership, that wont count as a real flag...

Unless Collingwood win it! Then it will be just as valid as any other year Wink

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
Any Grand final won in this Hubs crap idea, will always be labelled a mickey mouse fake Premiership, that wont count as a real flag...

Unless Collingwood win it! Then it will be just as valid as any other year Wink

Not really, other fans will diss the "flag" for years, a mickey mouse premiership, if any other side won it, i would diss it too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: