Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Restart. Pre Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

You know football is truly back when a Collingwood star suffers a soft tissue injury first day back and another is set to face a Magistrate.

Never change Pies.

LOL. FMD.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:10 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
On the question of relative quality of sides, the present side is well-short of the 1990 or 2010 teams. I was watching the 1990 QF replay again during the week and was struck (yet again) by how versatile that team was. Fast running, highly-skilled players were everywhere, surrounding Tony Shaw as our in and under player and our key backs were able to play as key forwards to ensure that the opposition couldn’t set up with a structure to exploit Gavin the Great’s and the Marvel’s lack of height and weight.

That West Coast side played ridiculously tough, skilled football in that game (and it is worth bearing in mind that they played in 3 of the next 4 GFs and won 2) but lost by 9 or 10 goals that day because the ‘Pies overwhelmed them with numbers (and ball skills). Interestingly, we seemed to field a team full of half-forward flankers and mids that day - there weren’t too many players given purely negative roles and there was an abundance of genuine skill - Barwick, Morwood, McKeown, Kelly (most of the time), Christian (much of the time), Banks and Gayfer up back, Daicos and Brown as the forwardline (you would trade 3 De Goeys to get either of them) and a revolving midfield of Shaw, Russell, Francis, McGuane, Crosisca, Manson (who killed the game on his own in the first 15 minutes), Monky, Alan Richardson, Millane, Wright and Turner. It is also worth bearing in mind that when McKeown couldn’t take the field later in the finals, Starcevich came in (and was, in my opinion, the spark that won the Grand Final) and Michael Christian (who destroyed the Eagles and could have been BOG in that first finals win under Matthews, playing mostly as a very creative and beautifully skilled high CHF) went down back and Starce played the role Christian had against the Eagles.

Apart from a more or less irrelevant observation that the football played in that 1990 game by both sides was exciting and hard in a way that modern footy almost never is, I do think that we have many more ordinary players in the present team.

As for the comparison with 2010 (and 2011), our present midfield is about half as good. Pendles and Sidey are still there but the imports do not replace the quality we had in Swan, Thomas, Ball, Wellingham, Johnson, Didak, Blair and Beams. And, of course, we have replaced our epoch-defining star tall forward with a VFL fullback.

I remain hopeful, mostly because dilution of the talent pool means that most sides field genuine common or garden potatoes in important positions (even in Grand Finals) but it’s hard to get too enthusiastic about the talent-level of our present team.

I hope that doesn’t sound too harsh - I love the players and want them to win every game but my head tells me that, on the whole, they are a long way short of any of the really great Collingwood teams we have seen. Maybe that’s still good enough in an era of mediocrity. I don’t know.

If they hung onto win in 2018, where would we put them amongst our other great premiership teams. I would think they would be least talented compared to 2010 and 1990. 1990 is still the best team since our 58 win.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:11 am

scoobydoo wrote:
E wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
A so called "Blockbuster" game with NO crowds,no fans, no noise,no cheers, no jeers, no atmosphere, no roaring, no barracking, nothing but crickets chiping, a total joke of a "season" Not interested.

agree. its amazing how important our own cheering is to making our great game what it is.

So you won’t be watching or checking the scores?

will be watching, but expect i will feel the same as i did when i watched the Footscray game. something just isn't quite right.... i probbly should correct my last post. I agree with PnC that something is sorely lacking without the fans and the game somehow just doesnt look as amazing and unique as it does with the crowds. I wouldnt call it a total joke of a season though nor would i sday "not interested".

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:17 am

swoop42 wrote:
You know football is truly back when a Collingwood star suffers a soft tissue injury first day back and another is set to face a Magistrate.

Never change Pies.

LOL. FMD.

who is injured?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:24 am

Cox, Treloar
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:40 pm

IS this a Tigers home game, and will they unfurl their flag in front of and empty MCG with only sea gulls watching ? And will those stupid tiger drums be out in force, once again banging away to an empty G, with NO atmosphere, no fans, no noise, nothing ?

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:14 pm

^ It's a Collingwood home game
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:19 am

Getting ready under lights

Collingwood website gallery of photos from 4/6 has Langdon running and handling a Sherrin

Bucks in his presser said Langers had come along way and is promising to a return

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
On the question of relative quality of sides, the present side is well-short of the 1990 or 2010 teams. I was watching the 1990 QF replay again during the week and was struck (yet again) by how versatile that team was. Fast running, highly-skilled players were everywhere, surrounding Tony Shaw as our in and under player and our key backs were able to play as key forwards to ensure that the opposition couldn’t set up with a structure to exploit Gavin the Great’s and the Marvel’s lack of height and weight.

That West Coast side played ridiculously tough, skilled football in that game (and it is worth bearing in mind that they played in 3 of the next 4 GFs and won 2) but lost by 9 or 10 goals that day because the ‘Pies overwhelmed them with numbers (and ball skills). Interestingly, we seemed to field a team full of half-forward flankers and mids that day - there weren’t too many players given purely negative roles and there was an abundance of genuine skill - Barwick, Morwood, McKeown, Kelly (most of the time), Christian (much of the time), Banks and Gayfer up back, Daicos and Brown as the forwardline (you would trade 3 De Goeys to get either of them) and a revolving midfield of Shaw, Russell, Francis, McGuane, Crosisca, Manson (who killed the game on his own in the first 15 minutes), Monky, Alan Richardson, Millane, Wright and Turner. It is also worth bearing in mind that when McKeown couldn’t take the field later in the finals, Starcevich came in (and was, in my opinion, the spark that won the Grand Final) and Michael Christian (who destroyed the Eagles and could have been BOG in that first finals win under Matthews, playing mostly as a very creative and beautifully skilled high CHF) went down back and Starce played the role Christian had against the Eagles.

Apart from a more or less irrelevant observation that the football played in that 1990 game by both sides was exciting and hard in a way that modern footy almost never is, I do think that we have many more ordinary players in the present team.

As for the comparison with 2010 (and 2011), our present midfield is about half as good. Pendles and Sidey are still there but the imports do not replace the quality we had in Swan, Thomas, Ball, Wellingham, Johnson, Didak, Blair and Beams. And, of course, we have replaced our epoch-defining star tall forward with a VFL fullback.

I remain hopeful, mostly because dilution of the talent pool means that most sides field genuine common or garden potatoes in important positions (even in Grand Finals) but it’s hard to get too enthusiastic about the talent-level of our present team.

I hope that doesn’t sound too harsh - I love the players and want them to win every game but my head tells me that, on the whole, they are a long way short of any of the really great Collingwood teams we have seen. Maybe that’s still good enough in an era of mediocrity. I don’t know.

Great post.
Sometimes there are actually posts on here that are worth reading.
The spread of talent on present day teams is something that I have been concerned about. We have a few more teams than we used to, but our population has also exploded. It seems that almost every team has players that if they continue to develop will one day be good enough to play AFL footy. But they are already playing AFL footy. I haven't seen any figures to support this, but my gut feeling is that as time is going by, footy is becoming less relevant for younger people as there are now far more sporting options available. I grew up in suburban Melbourne, at least a 3rd generation Pies supporter. If you were a boy, you played footy and if you didn't you were a bit strange. That's not the case any more. My two teenage sons, one 6 feet 2, one 6 feet 4, are both well coordinated, very fit, strong and sports obsessed. But they have absolutely no interest in footy. Their friendship circles, both inside and outside school,with a few exceptions, aren't interested in footy either. They almost all play a competitive sport though. The times they are a changing.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:11 pm

So who's going Thursday night? The Premier has said he can't stop large crowds and the police won't fine large crowds of people so who can stop the Magpie Army? Lets storm the G!
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Richmond are to unfurl their flag prior to the match just before the bounce with Collingwood players on the field theres going to be a ceremony too.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:36 pm

90 nice wrote:
Richmond are to unfurl their flag prior to the match just before the bounce with Collingwood players on the field theres going to be a ceremony too.

and no one will see it Laughing

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:00 pm

And D T M personally I hope I don’t either
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:25 pm

And in 20 years, 130,000 Richmond supporters will swear black and blue they were at the 'G when the 2019 Flag was unfurled.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:45 pm

In 20 years as the 100 odd years that preceded it will not change the mistrust
in Tigers muttering

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: